Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard gear - What can you not live without?
I'am starting to get into building out my rack units. I have a power conditioner, and an ART Pro VLA II compressor.

Since adding the compressor, however bad and good it is, my drum (overheads!) sound amazing and vocals come in much tamer and controlled with some great warmth. Plus I don't have to deal with delay of software compressor.

I'm wanting to look into what else can be useful to add to my rack. Any thoughts on good rack gear that you would consider vital to your sound?

To say it right, tell me your honest thoughts!
If I were in your shoe, this are what I would get.

http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/lineage.html
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/832c.html
Have you tried them? I've watched the videos on the Lineage before. Seems really snazzy.
BSS DPR901 multiband compressor, Bricasti M7 and a Quantec QRS if you can find one.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I've collected alot of stuff over the years and I don't often sell things.

On the dynamics front.

I love my Klark Teknik DN-504 - I use this as bus compression or even just pass the sound through it without processing on the master channels.
I also have an ART Pro VLA II, which cheap as it is gives a nice warmth.
I actually prefer my ART TCS for colouring signal..
I even still go back to my DBX 166xl.. usually for a snappy tom or snare.

On multifx I have a Boss VFX-1 - which I love to make things dirty with..
I also still like the verbs from my Digitech Studio Quad...

While I could do that processing in software, I have patches that I am familiar with and can program them very quickly..

In the sound generation and sequencing front.. I am almost completely outboard.(in no particular order).
1. MPC 2500 with JJOS 128xl..
2. Yamaha TX-81z
3. Yamaha AN-200
4. DSI Evolver
5. DSI Tetra
6. Korg TR_Rack
7. Yamaha RY-30
My audio interface is an Allen & Heath Zed-R16.. so I also use the EQ's on this board on the way in and have used it as channel strip inserts.

Finally I have recently acquired a Sequential Circuits Six Trak.. I found it in hard rubbish on my street!!!!.
It's with a friend for a check up and clean, replace the caps and anything else he may find, the initial checkup of the PSU and visual inspection was positive...

I would love the 832c!!!!
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com