Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing MP3's?
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but since there's a new version out and active patching... what are the chances of making mp3 import/export work? Is there already a work around for this? I sometimes use mixbus to practice over tracks and it's not the best having to convert a file first.
@Joshs,

Mac OSX has a built-in license for MP3 decoding, and they make it available to developers. So if you are on a mac you can directly import mp3 to Mixbus. On Windows and Linux, you have to convert them first.

Generally speaking, we try to discourage using mp3's in a mix, because when it is later re-encoded, the quality suffers a lot. But as you say, there are situations where it is convenient to use an mp3.
With soundconverter you convert a folder in seconds, so if you really need, it will take you like 0,0005% of the time you will spent on the project. But as harrison-support stated so clear you obviously will not want to work with mp3-files. Seriously, we are talking about sound.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
@sonik: I never said anything about importing mp3's for a final mix. There are plenty of reasons importing or exporting an mp3 file could be useful. For example, importing a reference track. Or exporting a demo to email to someone. And sometimes people use Mixbus and other DAWs for quick demos/practice tracks, etc (I know I do all the time), so the time it takes to involve other applications becomes more of an inconvenience.

I hope you guys will consider fixing this. One option is to require the user to provide the library, which should get around legal issues?
Yes, on the "export" side, it is already possible to create mp3's using your own command-line converter:
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...d-619.html

However there is no equivalent for "import", sorry!
Ah, that's good news. I think it's probably more often that I want to export than import mp3, but it'd certainly be nice to have both.
(09-17-2015, 05:12 PM)joshs Wrote: (snip)

I hope you guys will consider fixing this. One option is to require the user to provide the library, which should get around legal issues?

I don't think it's a DRM issue. It's a licensing issue with the MP3 converter. You can't just add it in. Fraunhafer society owns several patents that deal with MP3 technology. So if you want to use it in your program. You have to pay them.

Apple has paid them and includes it with OS X. That's why it's included in OS X versions. But Harrison would have to pay to include it in mixbus for windows and Linux. Pro tools used to be the same way. There was actually an MP3 option. Don't remember how much. It wasn't a lot. But you had to pay for it. It's now included. But wasn't always that way.
@Matt: Who said anything about DRM? What I'm saying is that instead of including an mp3 encoder/decoder in the software, you include the facility to use an external one to do that job. Reaper does that for example. Apparently Mix3us does too for export, but not for import. I say, why not both :-)
Information 
you are hypocrite. There is no reason to do today an audio software that does not support mp3 standard. There may be a thousand reasons why I should I use mp3 files from my data library. I decide if quality is good for me. The only reason I can think is you want to save little money about mp3 software rights.
It's a poor thing for a software house that need to rise a standard for music user. Studio One, Reaper, Cubase, Ableton and on... too far away for you.
Joe http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...mation.gif
Rather than have an import option using an external library like LAME, could import convert a file on the fly via LAME (if available on the system) before placing it on the timeline?