Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing MP3's?
(10-23-2015, 03:54 AM)Joe0 Wrote: you are hypocrite. There is no reason to do today an audio software that does not support mp3 standard. There may be a thousand reasons why I should I use mp3 files from my data library. I decide if quality is good for me. The only reason I can think is you want to save little money about mp3 software rights.
It's a poor thing for a software house that need to rise a standard for music user. Studio One, Reaper, Cubase, Ableton and on... too far away for you.
Joe http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...mation.gif

I believe Harrison is not a software house, I dare to say they don't even make any profit with Mixbus atm. So what? If and when they decide to integrate MP3 one day, they will. Or they decide not to. It's not a big deal for us to convert MP3 files before import. I personally feel not entitled enough to tell a software developer what they have to do and call them names when they don't meet my expectations. It would be the equivalent to someone telling me permanently how I should mix and demanding to use plugin A and B because CLA and Pensado are using them and so it is a must...

Happy mixing weekend,
MMM

P.S. you may have guessed it... I think despite you may want to have a piece which is only available as MP3 in your session' MP3 is *not* an import - format for a mixing software, therefore it doesn't have to be natively supported. Export is a different thing and Mixbus has a solution for that.
There's a trick.. treat the .mp3 as video-file soundtrack Smile

Session > Open Video ; Filter: "All Files" ; select file; OK.
"Do not import Video" , "Extract Audio"..
(10-23-2015, 03:02 PM)x42 Wrote: There's a trick.. treat the .mp3 as video-file soundtrack Smile

Nice workaround x42, thanks for that.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-23-2015, 03:02 PM)x42 Wrote: There's a trick.. treat the .mp3 as video-file soundtrack Smile

Really cool. Smile
MMM

Very clever workaround! THX!!!!
MB, MB32C, V10, Win 7/10, MacOS Catalina and Ventura, MBP & Ryzen platforms, nVidia and Radeon GPU’s, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mackie Onyx 1640, X-Touch, 43” UHD, x2 27” 4K

I use a DAW as a music player for my acoustic trio rehearsals. I put all of our song mp3s on separate tracks and just solo the one I want to play. Works well.
(10-23-2015, 03:54 AM)Joe0 Wrote: you are hypocrite. There is no reason to do today an audio software that does not support mp3 standard. There may be a thousand reasons why I should I use mp3 files from my data library. I decide if quality is good for me. The only reason I can think is you want to save little money about mp3 software rights.
It's a poor thing for a software house that need to rise a standard for music user. Studio One, Reaper, Cubase, Ableton and on... too far away for you.
Joe http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...mation.gif

As Mixbus is built on top of Ardour, and Ardour is open source they have chosen not to license mp3.... You may notice thanks to that for some linux distros, by default they don't come pre-installed with many codecs, due to licensing issues. When you install them yourself you click on an EULA...

Ardour is not coming out of a software house.. It's basically a handful of dedicated developers lending their time to the project with the small amount of donations funding the lead developer (at a fraction of normal developer wages) to work full time on it... Contributions have come from a wider range of people all giving their time for free.

Nor is Mixbus really coming out of a normal software house.. It appears Harrison have lent some time of their own developers and possibly hired one or two more to overlay their mixing DSP IP over Ardour..

They are also selling other parts of their DSP knowledge as plugins (which is probably the only place they make any profit.. and again, breadcrumbs)..

Harrison have given us access to technology previously only available to their very high end customers.. and while the DAW may not be as complete as others yet, I think they provide an amazing tool set.

I've followed the development of Ardour since it was a digital HDR emulator and been using it since 1.x stages... Mixbus has enhanced something that has been produced with blood sweat and tears and lined it with gold.. I'm really thankful that we have access to all this and to all the people who have given their time, and to Harrison who have decided to give access to their technology at a very very low price point...
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com 
Alan, the mods should put your post on top of every subforum here for everyone to read before posting. Thanks so much for this.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
allank - Thanks for a great post - spot on mate.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-26-2015, 09:46 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Alan, the mods should put your post on top of every subforum here for everyone to read before posting. Thanks so much for this.
MMM

I concur!!! A great post Alan.

D.
MB, MB32C, V10, Win 7/10, MacOS Catalina and Ventura, MBP & Ryzen platforms, nVidia and Radeon GPU’s, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mackie Onyx 1640, X-Touch, 43” UHD, x2 27” 4K