Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus 3 in AVlinux 6.04 problem GLIBC 2.15
Mixbus 3 in AVlinux 6.04 problem GLIBC 2.15

hello I am trouble to install Mixbus 3.
As root, system tells me GLIBC 2.15 is missing and cannot continue.

Mixbus 2.5 and Ardour 4 are working fine on my system.

Thanks for Help
regards
Loran
Hey. I got it working in AVLinux by a workaround. This is something that I'm certain no one will official support, and I only tried it because I had backups of all my work files, in the event of a system breakage.
glibc is a very fundamental library your system uses, so altering it manually can completely botch your system.
All that being said, here is what I did, taken from here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10863...-on-debian

First, go into Software Sources, and add:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main

Press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get to a different terminal session.

Then, you'll need a piece of paper to write these commands down:

Login as usual and issue these commands:
su (then type in your ROOT password)

/etc/init.d/slim stop

apt-get update

apt-get -t sid install libc6-amd libc6-dev libc6-dbg

After that has finished, you can either reboot to make yourself feel better, or just type:
slim
You'll want to remove the new SID repository you've added. Just uncheck the box in software sources.
All has worked surprisingly well for me. However, I have not tested every corner of my system, and there may be a problem that I'm unaware of.

Best of luck!
(07-09-2015, 07:58 AM)Qualitymix Wrote: ...

First, go into Software Sources, and add:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main

Press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get to a different terminal session.

Then, you'll need a piece of paper to write these commands down:

Login as usual and issue these commands:
su (then type in your ROOT password)

/etc/init.d/slim stop

apt-get update

After that has finished, you can either reboot to make yourself feel better, or just type:
slim
You'll want to remove the new SID repository you've added. Just uncheck the box in software sources.
All has worked surprisingly well for me. However, I have not tested every corner of my system, and there may be a problem that I'm unaware of.

Best of luck!
Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr Qualitymix

2 1/2 questions that I'll be learning about:

1 - do I get to Source Sources via the terminal?
I'm guessing yes, but that first line may assume a lot of knowledge :-) At least I know I'll probably need some more learning about Software Sources.

1 1/2 - And why the "uncheck the box in software sources."
Is there a difference between "Software Sources" and "software sources" - that would be cool. but a case difference is probably too easy :-)

2 - libc6-amd ?
As opposed to a libc6-intel ? Again, probably something else. So some more research.

Did I mention I'm a re-learning noobie :-)

Thanks again.

best, john
#1 Software Sources is available right in the System Settings dropdown menu in the main main. Alternatively, just press ALT+F2 and start typing Software Sources, you should see it pop up.

#1 1/2. there is no different between capitalized Software Sources and uncapitalized software sources. You'll want to uncheck the repository AFTER you've updated your libc, so that it doesn't continue to pull in updates you don't want, any will most likely break your system.

#2. I'm unfamiliar with libc-intel. I think regardless, you'll want libc-amd.
Thanks Qualitymix,

#1 - Good. I'm in the right area. Yesterday I typed in "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main" in the only Software Sources "ADD" I could find - Third-Party Software - but I wasn't sure I had done it right. This morning - after reading your 08 : 33 AM post - I tried typing again "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main" and when I saw a check boxes for TWO identical:

Debian 'Sid' (unstable)
Officially supported

I knew it was OK (and yes, I then clicked on 'X Remove' on the second instance).

#1 1/2 - Good.

#2 - And good yet again.

Now on to the console!

thanks again
Did this work for you? I'd be interested in knowing so I can post the fix over at linuxmusicians.com
(07-14-2015, 09:28 AM)Qualitymix Wrote: Did this work for you? I'd be interested in knowing so I can post the fix over at linuxmusicians.com

Almost, but not yet. Two possible reasons (I think):

Hopefully it is this: (I'm re-typing my own typing from last night)

Quote:OK the libc6-amd is not there but I did get this !!! ERROR !!!:

Mixbus_x86-3.0.844/lib/ladspa/strip/harrison_channelstrip.so: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by Mixbus_x86-3.0.844/lib/ladspa/strip/harrison_channelstrip.so)

etc, etc

The other possible reason is that AVLinux doesn't show the chars or *s when I try to type passwords in the console. And even when I type login info. it doesn't always show what I typed - but only in a console. I swapped the keyboard, but it still didn't always show a char. I hit the chars using slow and heavy typing, though, and I think I got everything I could get. The Mixbus installation did seem to go longer the second time (after I used your instructions - as far as I could).

I'm using an Intel XEON by the way. Is there an intel version of 'libc6-amd'?

Thanks for replying.
(07-14-2015, 11:48 AM)jabney Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 09:28 AM)Qualitymix Wrote: Did this work for you? I'd be interested in knowing so I can post the fix over at linuxmusicians.com

Almost, but not yet. Two possible reasons (I think):

Hopefully it is this: (I'm re-typing my own typing from last night)

Quote:OK the libc6-amd is not there but I did get this !!! ERROR !!!:

Mixbus_x86-3.0.844/lib/ladspa/strip/harrison_channelstrip.so: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by Mixbus_x86-3.0.844/lib/ladspa/strip/harrison_channelstrip.so)

etc, etc

The other possible reason is that AVLinux doesn't show the chars or *s when I try to type passwords in the console. And even when I type login info. it doesn't always show what I typed - but only in a console. I swapped the keyboard, but it still didn't always show a char. I hit the chars using slow and heavy typing, though, and I think I got everything I could get. The Mixbus installation did seem to go longer the second time (after I used your instructions - as far as I could).

I'm using an Intel XEON by the way. Is there an intel version of 'libc6-amd'?

Thanks for replying.

AMD was the first company to offer a x86 64bit processor, so all references to 64 bit libraries will be amd.
So, did you install those three packages from sid?
goto to terminal and type ldd --version

it will tell you your GLIBC version, which likely isn't higher than 2.15.

GLIBC is what libc6-amd provides.

All you're doing is updating that specific library so that mixbus will install.
You have to be sure you got this command right:

make sure you've got the -t sid part. The tells the package manager to install this package from a specific distribution release. Typing apt-get -t sid install .... will insure that you're installing packages from debian SID.
(07-14-2015, 12:25 PM)Jay Gilb Wrote: AMD was the first company to offer a x86 64bit processor, so all references to 64 bit libraries will be amd.
Now I'm confused. On three OSs (on one CPU) I have two Mixbus 3.0 installations:
a Mixbus 3.0 64bit on Windows 10 (build 10166) - works fine
a Mixbus 3.0 64bit on linux KXStudio (I can't see it right now) which looks good but is silent (not blaming Mixbus - my KXStudio has never sounded a chirp - ever)
and - if things work out - a Mixbus 3.0 32bit on linux AVLinux 6.0.4

(Mixbus 2.5 32bit on AVLinux 6.0.4 works fine, though)

The PC is able to run 64bit, so if I can get Mixbus 3.0 64bit to run on 32bit AVLinux then that might be the best of both worlds. Are you sure that works?

best, john