Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus 3 in AVlinux 6.04 problem GLIBC 2.15
No, I never said to install 64bit Mixbus on AVLinux, you'll need to install 32 bit Mixbus.
(07-14-2015, 02:11 PM)Qualitymix Wrote: So, did you install those three packages from sid?
goto to terminal and type ldd --version

it will tell you your GLIBC version, which likely isn't higher than 2.15.
I get from ldd --version:
ldd (Debian EGLIBC 2.13-38+deb7u1) 2.13 (etc)
Quote:GLIBC is what libc6-amd provides.

All you're doing is updating that specific library so that mixbus will install.
You have to be sure you got this command right:
apt-get -t sid install libc6-amd libc6-dev libc6-dbg

make sure you've got the -t sid part. The tells the package manager to install this package from a specific distribution release.
This time I used the fifth icon from the left on the AVLinux screen, and I typed:
(m name)@(my pc):~$ su
Password:
root@(my pc):/home/(my name)# apt-get -t sid install libc6-amd libc6-dev libc6-dbg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
N: Ignoring file 'violetsky_steam.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Unable to locate package libc6-amd
root@(my pc):/home/(my name)#

Quote:Typing apt-get -t sid install .... will insure that you're installing packages from debian SID.
Here's what I had today:
Quote:root@(my pc):/home/(my name)# apt-get -t sid install
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 181 not upgraded.
N: Ignoring file 'violetsky_steam.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
and then I tried again and got:
Quote:Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
but when I typed " apt-get -t sid install .... " there were pages and pages of lines - and I'll have to try that later. I do think I'm in sid - oops, I need to get out of sid - not any longer. that's better - but I'll keep trying.

Thanks for your help. Again.

(07-14-2015, 02:30 PM)Qualitymix Wrote: No, I never said to install 64bit Mixbus on AVLinux, you'll need to install 32 bit Mixbus.

I am using 32bit Mixbus. There was another reply that I had been typing a reply to:

"AMD was the first company to offer a x86 64bit processor, so all references to 64 bit libraries will be amd."

I''m a stroke survivor, so sometimes I misunderstand meanings. I do remember something about amd getting on the 64bit (free) bandwagon first, but I didn't know there was any 32bit code and naming for 64bit code (and visa-verso). I'm trying to be clear because I sometimes don't speak clearly.

So to repeat - per you - "...you'll need to install 32 bit Mixbus."

Again, thank you
The only thing I can figure is that you either disabled the repository before an attempted update, or you didn't refresh your packager cache. I either case try this:

Go to Software Sources and ensure that the new sid repository is there, and enabled. It is enabled if the check box to the left of the name of the repository has an X in it.

If it isn't checked, then check it.
If it is checked, great.
Now close software sources, and press CTRL+ALT+F1 to go to a text only session. If that key combination doesn't take you to a text only mode, try CLT+ALT+F2, or F3, and so on up until F6.

Then type su, and type your root password.
Then follow the old instructions like before:

Type:
/etc/init.d/slim stop

Type this to refresh your package manager's cache so it sees your new sid repository:
apt-get update

Install:
apt-get -t sid install libc6-amd libc6-dev libc6-dbg

and restart. Let me know if at any point something goes wrong, and doesn't complete.
Thanks Qualitymix. I'll try this. Wish me luck.

Thanks again
Thanks Qualitymix,

First, I logged in - then:
X the Software Sources usual suspect
Close Software Sources (nothing else than close)
typed: CTRL+ALT+F1
login (type as me)
<ENTER>
type (password for me)
<ENTER>
type su
<ENTER>
type (password for 'root' - as su, in other words)
<ENTER>
type /etc/init.d slim stop
<ENTER> (I didn't note that I <ENTERed> when I made my notes to myself but I'm sure I did)
type apt-get update
<ENTER>
Install: (that was just a title, right? I didn't type 'Install' there - I hope that was right)
type apt-get -t sid install libc6-amd libc6-dev libc6-dbg
<ENTER>
And then restarted. In other words I logged out directly from text console, then logged in to the GUI, logged into this posting, and then ...

...I cleared the 'suspect' X from Software Sources ...

...and I started to type from my notes:

Building dependency tree
N: Ignoring file 'violetsky_steam.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d' as it has an invalid filename extension

So that is my recollections of my latest adventure.

That is OK for me, because this has helped my brain. But I hope I haven't been boring to you. So if I can continue trying this, I will. (After all, what will poor 'violetsky_steam...' do? :-)

Again, thanks

best, john
Hi,

I'm the maintainer of AV Linux, work is going on behind the scenes on a newer version (AV Linux 8) that will have a newer version of glibc however that will not be released for at least a couple of months..

I've just returned from summer vacation to find this issue...

Harrison Mixbus developers are aware of the issue and I will have more info soon, I do NOT suggest updating glibc until it is clear that they won't hotfix this issue in another more compatible way...

Stay tuned...
Hey GMaq, thanks for hopping in on the conversation. I hope you noticed my disclaimer at the beginning that updating glibc is definitely not recommended.
(07-15-2015, 10:13 AM)Qualitymix Wrote: Hey GMaq, thanks for hopping in on the conversation. I hope you noticed my disclaimer at the beginning that updating glibc is definitely not recommended.

Hi!

Yep, no worries... I'm hopeful they can relax the glibc requirement for now at least, time will tell. I have confirmation that they are looking into it so hopefully we'll know one way or the other soon..
You guys are great! As far as AVLinux 8 is concerned, I'm looking out for it. The only concern that I have about AVLinux 8 is that the future 'slimming' might be too slim. Specifically, the talk of Blender being dumped. Even though I don't use Blender myself, I do like having a few 'elite' programs such as Harrison Mixbus and Blender.

thanks, john
Hi,

Just to follow up... the glibc issue has been addressed, fixed and tested (but not released yet).. There were reportedly also a few other minor issues not related to glibc as well so I think all Linux Mixbus3 users will see benefits.. I can't comment for sure on exactly when hotfixed bundles will arrive but I can say that AV Linux 6 users will not be left out in the cold for Mixbus 3. A huge thanks to Ben and Robin for their time and efforts spent on fixing this... stay tuned!