Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUI Artifacts
(05-03-2024, 07:37 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 05:45 PM)davidqp Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 11:17 AM)jeff_sloan Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 07:34 AM)Stephan S Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 06:11 AM)Lese Wrote: Thank you Stephan! No green artifacts I presume?

Never had them, neither on Mac Pro nor on M1.

I got them on mine, but only when I turned on the quirks, and was then told that those were only for Sonoma.
Without the quirks, mine is fine.

Hi Jeff, what quirks are you speaking of and where would I find them to turn them on or off if I recently upgraded to Sonoma?

Preferences / Appearance / Quirks

Sorry, I mis-spoke.
I meant when I turned them off.

Preferences
>Appearance
>>Quirks
Ben told me that you can Uncheck them, but in Sonoma only.
When I Unchecked them, I got tons of green and blanks everywhere.
So I leave them Checked.

I am not going to Sonoma until all my other recording software and hardware controller stuff says they are Sonoma ready.
Toontracks, and iCon are not ready yet.
Ventura is still being updated and supported.
This machine is for my studio only.
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
(05-03-2024, 07:34 AM)Stephan S Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 06:11 AM)Lese Wrote: Thank you Stephan! No green artifacts I presume?

Never had them, neither on Mac Pro nor on M1.

I got them on mine, but only when I turned on the quirks, and was then told that those were only for Sonoma.

Hi Jeff, what quirks are you speaking of and where would I find them to turn them on or off if I recently upgraded to Sonoma?

(05-03-2024, 07:49 PM)jeff_sloan Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 07:34 AM)Stephan S Wrote: Never had them, neither on Mac Pro nor on M1.

Sorry, I mis-spoke.
I meant when I turned them off.

Preferences
>Appearance
>>Quirks
Ben told me that you can Uncheck them, but in Sonoma only.
When I Unchecked them, I got tons of green and blanks everywhere.
So I leave them Checked.

I am not going to Sonoma until all my other recording software and hardware controller stuff says they are Sonoma ready.
Toontracks, and iCon are not ready yet.
Ventura is still being updated and supported.
This machine is for my studio only.

Thank you...to you and @Dingo
David
MacMini 2020 M1 Ventura 13.6 Upgraded to Sonoma 14.4.1 16GB 512GB + 8TB Ext Storage - Focusrite 18i20+ADA8200+AXE I/O One - SSL UF8+UC1 - MixBus 10
All used M1 or M2 Mac minis I can find right now have Sonoma installed, not to mention new ones. I can’t work with the green artifacts on my Mojave Intel after all. I’ll wait for a fix and come back later to MB 10. I mean.. all other DAWs work fine on my system!
The M1s can be re-installed with Ventura, I would always want to start any used machine with a fresh install anyway...
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
(05-06-2024, 08:41 AM)jeff_sloan Wrote: The M1s can be re-installed with Ventura, I would always want to start any used machine with a fresh install anyway...

I’m not going to re install the system in a 2-3 year old NOT replaceable SSD. A new user is sufficient, we should forget the good old days I’m afraid, unless someone is an expert with soldering guns (I was but not anymore - lol)
(05-06-2024, 09:32 AM)Lese Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 08:41 AM)jeff_sloan Wrote: The M1s can be re-installed with Ventura, I would always want to start any used machine with a fresh install anyway...

I’m not going to re install the system in a 2-3 year old NOT replaceable SSD. A new user is sufficient, we should forget the good old days I’m afraid, unless someone is an expert with soldering guns (I was but not anymore - lol)

Why?
There is no taking out the SSD.... It is just a software OS re-install, booting up to an external drive, and following the instructions.
It is provided by Apple, it isn't some old hack.
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
(05-07-2024, 09:19 AM)jeff_sloan Wrote:

Why?
There is no taking out the SSD.... It is just a software OS re-install, booting up to an external drive, and following the instructions.

SSDs and RAM are soldered on the motherboard in the new Mac minis. With an average  lifespan of 5 years for an SSD depending on the way you use it.. we don’t know yet how reliable the new ones from Apple are.
Got a good reason not to use Sonoma?
My M1 loves it and so does Mixbus, Logic and all my plugins.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
(05-07-2024, 12:56 PM)Stephan S Wrote: Got a good reason not to use Sonoma?
My M1 loves it and so does Mixbus, Logic and all my plugins.

Yes, I have a good reason not to use Sonoma.
Mixbus doesn't like it graphics wise with 4k resolution.
I like my meters to actually stay in sync with the sound coming out of the speakers, and the timeline play head to be in the spot where the music plays.
I like Superior Drummer 3 to display in time with the music.
Several companies I use say they aren't ready for it.

A more important question would be, what is a good reason TO use Sonoma for your studio recording DAW computer?
Security updates are still done on Ventura.
So what is the overwhelming reason TO go to Sonoma, when Ventura works better with the software you choose to run, at the resolutions you choose to run it, and your hardware and software choices say they aren't ready?

I and several of us went to Sonoma, and we were forced to go back to Ventura.
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
(05-07-2024, 12:37 PM)Lese Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 09:19 AM)jeff_sloan Wrote:

Why?

SSDs and RAM are soldered on the motherboard in the new Mac minis. With an average  lifespan of 5 years for an SSD depending on the way you use it.. we don’t know yet how reliable the new ones from Apple are.
Yes, they are soldered the same way on the Mac Studio.
And every time you record something, edit it, move it, back it up, etc., you are writing, erasing, overwriting on the hard drive constantly.
Flattening and re-loading the OS is not going to have any great negative effect on the life of the hard drive as compared to the every day use of it.
I work with SSDs every day by the hundreds being a Dell contractor at Boeing.
I understand what companies may place for timeframes on warranties, but...
Our clients use the crap out of their systems with all sorts of SSDs for months at a time without ever re-booting during long data recording sessions.
And I have not had to replace a single SSD for failure in over 10 years of working in that environment.
Power supplies, spinning hard drives, CPUs, mother boards, video cards, etc., yes...
But not one SSD.
And, they keep their test systems for 10 years or longer because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders