Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
export binaural
You can do a 'stem export' of the Immersive Master bus,  which gives you the 7.1.4 and the binaural in a single (14 channel) file.

I use the command-line utility 'sox' to strip out the channels I want.  The command looks like this:

sox input.wav output.wav remix 13 14

(that 'remixes' the input file to an output file with only the last 2 binaural channels)

You can, of course, use a graphical utility instead.  In Mixbus you'd create a new session and import the file with the settings "one track per channel",  then delete all the channels you don't want and pan the binaural appropriately.

Our main goal was to make it fun and fast to create the .adm file that is requested by streaming services.  Adding the additional complexity of multichannel panning, bed mixes, folddown exports, etc etc  was outside the critical path for 10.0

-Ben
(04-21-2024, 08:07 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: You can do a 'stem export' of the Immersive Master bus,  which gives you the 7.1.4 and the binaural in a single (14 channel) file.

I use the command-line utility 'sox' to strip out the channels I want.  The command looks like this:

(that 'remixes' the input file to an output file with only the last 2 binaural channels)

You can, of course, use a graphical utility instead.  In Mixbus you'd create a new session and import the file with the settings "one track per channel",  then delete all the channels you don't want and pan the binaural appropriately.

Our main goal was to make it fun and fast to create the .adm file that is requested by streaming services.  Adding the additional complexity of multichannel panning, bed mixes, folddown exports, etc etc  was outside the critical path for 10.0

-Ben

Hi Ben ++

There's many reason to export the binaural file, as many already have stated. Today 'everybody' listen to music thru their headphones and pods anyway, so the chance that a binaural mix will be played on speakers are small and the file must be labeled as binaural. If it's possible to get a good quality binaural mix, I don't know yet - I need a lot more practice first, almost everyone would listen to it right away on their HP and PODs

I have tried both ways to extract the binaural file, they both worked OK but they are cumbersome and time consuming to do. There must be a better way.

I totally agree that everything must be fun and fast, so keep it simple. My suggestion is to just add the immersive master(binaural) output to the channel tab in the ordinary export dialog like the screenshot attached. Let it be inactive by default so it have to be an active action to activate it on the tab.

..or it could be an option on the immersive mix export dialog to only export the binaural mix.

Best 
Steinar

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Yes quick and simple is good and I like the route you took so far. Just add some essentials like binaural rendering in the way mentioned by Sthauge and add a 7.1.2 Bed for at least 3D Room-Fx and so on and it will be useful even for professional use and not just playing a little with the atmos-format. And yes that is just my opinion based on my experience with atmos-mixing for major releases since - I think - about 4 or 5 years now..
But the overall workflow you implemented has such a high potential, it seams to me much quicker and easier then in my other DAWs
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
I also wondered about the room FX like in SPAT-based multichannel processing. So it seems it is still lacking for now ?
(04-21-2024, 01:50 PM)Sthauge Wrote:
(04-21-2024, 08:07 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: You can do a 'stem export' of the Immersive Master bus,  which gives you the 7.1.4 and the binaural in a single (14 channel) file.

-Ben

Hi Ben ++

There's many reason to export the binaural file, as many already have stated. Today 'everybody' listen to music thru their headphones and pods anyway, so the chance that a binaural mix will be played on speakers are small and the file must be labeled as binaural. If it's possible to get a good quality binaural mix, I don't know yet - I need a lot more practice first, almost everyone would listen to it right away on their HP and PODs

I have tried both ways to extract the binaural file, they both worked OK but they are cumbersome and time consuming to do. There must be a better way.

I totally agree that everything must be fun and fast, so keep it simple. My suggestion is to just add the immersive master(binaural) output to the channel tab in the ordinary export dialog like the screenshot attached. Let it be inactive by default so it have to be an active action to activate it on the tab.

..or it could be an option on the immersive mix export dialog to only export the binaural mix.

Best 
Steinar

In my opinion you are absolutely right, I chose Mixbus Pro for the atmos version of my vinyl and digital releases, but it is necessary that in addition to the ADM file which requires large resources, it is necessary to be able to export a binaural stereo wav file.
Even giants such as THX are moving in this direction, which with a simple VST allows you to create a binaural file in any DAW.
I hope Harrison makes this change operational.
Greetings
(04-20-2024, 11:56 AM)krans Wrote: I guess the request here is an option to export the binaural "audition" as a stereo mix, am I right @calimerox?

I give this request a +1, simply because the immersive way of mixing also can give you stereomixes with a different feel than what old fashioned mixing do. So a "Export binaural mix as stereo file" option would be neat my opinion.

Hi there, a lot of great info accumulating in this thread, thank you everyone! 

That is what I meant: to "export binaural mix as stereo file" especially for audition. 

But also this can be relevant for experimental music releases published on bandcamp for example: They do not care what stereo format you upload, and people would upload binaural mixes and just write "USE HEADPHONES! " next to it I know, this is not industry standard Wink 

@Ben the Atmos implementation is the most intuitive I have seen so far !! I start using atmos in davinci resolve Fairlight and it is powerful, but so complicated! !

as Ben Jordan points out in his youtube video about ATMOS, there is still a way to go till the consumer can be assured that he is listening to the right Atmos mix on the right device. Looks like naming and processing from all major platforms is still all over the place.. 

Another question I have, and I was wondering: Is there a way to export a ATMOS Mix to "traditional" Speaker Stereo? 

It would be so cool to be able to mix binaural, and then also render out a normal stereo mix from there. So I would not need to make two sessions for mixing: one stereo, and one immersive. 

ways to render to quad, 5.1, etc. would also be amazing , but I do not want to ask about everything I am dreaming of Wink Smile

I know in ambisonics there  there are ways to render back to stereo (with the ambisonics toolkit in reaper for example) and the stereo image is impressive. ..