Harrison Mixbus Forum
export binaural - Printable Version

+- Harrison Mixbus Forum (https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com)
+-- Forum: Mixbus User Forum (https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Mixbus General Discussion (https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: export binaural (/thread-11827.html)

Pages: 1 2

export binaural - calimerox - 04-20-2024

Hi there, 

Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro  is impressive, so happy to see this happening!!

I have a question: 

Can I render to binaural? As I work a lot with sound installations, and might want to test binaural mixes when on my way to the studio, this would be so handy. Till now I m using reaper for all this kind of stuff. But the binaural engine sounds so good, I would love to have that. Otherwise: Is there a way to tape it in real time? route the output of the binaural encoder to a new track and just record it? I couldn t find a way to do it yet. But just starting here...

RE: export binaural - calimerox - 04-20-2024

Ha ok, I just found the Binaural L + R in the immersive mixer output, so I can route it to a track and re-record, this is pretty close to what would be perfect.

RE: export binaural - Dingo - 04-20-2024

(04-20-2024, 01:21 AM)calimerox Wrote: Hi there, 

Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro  is impressive, so happy to see this happening!!

I have a question: 

Can I render to binaural? As I work a lot with sound installations, and might want to test binaural mixes when on my way to the studio, this would be so handy. Till now I m using reaper for all this kind of stuff. But the binaural engine sounds so good, I would love to have that. Otherwise: Is there a way to tape it in real time? route the output of the binaural encoder to a new track and just record it? I couldn t find a way to do it yet. But just starting here...

@calimerox - Yes routing the Immersive Bus BIN outs to two tracks and recording it is the expedient way to get a binaural mix rendered out at the moment.
Export / Stem Export / Channels reveals (at the top of the list) an option for Immersive.
Checking this will render an interleaved 14 channel BWAV file that contains 12 tracks of 7.1.4 followed by BinL and BinR.
If you have an application that can seperate interleaved files you can extract the binaural only mix.
There has been a lot of discussion about how Exports for multi formats needs to be handled but I think the devs want to see how users steer that side of things.

You are right the binaural engine sounds really good and I would advise anyone starting to use the binaural setup first.
Whilst it is great to have a full 7.1.4 speaker rig the truth is you don't 'need' it.
Currently most consumers will use headphones to listen to Immersive mixes.
Binaural definitely puts Immersive mixing into the reach of everyone - you don't need to have megabucks to do this.

RE: export binaural - Stephane Morisse - 04-20-2024

For me it would also be very handy to be able to export a binaural file directly from MB without having to go through additional actions in another software.

RE: export binaural - Ben@Harrison - 04-20-2024

At the moment, the 'popular' streaming services only support 2 kinds of files: traditional stereo, and atmos ADM. The function of the ADM file is to 'adapt' to the listener's setup. So if they have stereo headphones with the 'immersive' setting on, they might hear binaural. Whereas a home theater might play that same file in stereo or surround.

So: while it's important to 'audition' your mix in binaural, there are very few services that will allow you to actually upload a binaural mix. Nor should you send it to your friends for auditioning, really, because they might play it on speakers where it will probably sound weaker than a regular stereo mix.

-Ben

RE: export binaural - krans - 04-20-2024

I guess the request here is an option to export the binaural "audition" as a stereo mix, am I right @calimerox?

I give this request a +1, simply because the immersive way of mixing also can give you stereomixes with a different feel than what old fashioned mixing do. So a "Export binaural mix as stereo file" option would be neat my opinion.

RE: export binaural - JeffT - 04-20-2024

Hey Krans, I was wondering how to get this done as well. I found a way using my sound card loopback to record the binaural mix back into a track stereo using another DAW to record. this seemed to do the trick but is pretty clunky. I do wish there was a way to do it directly in Mixbus, but I imagine there might be some licensing issue with dolby since the way this is done is with one of their renderers....I think. This is all new to me but I have to say it's really cool to hear that space in a mix. Of course it's probably bad going out to stereo speakers...I haven't tried that yet. I've only been playing with this for a few hours last night and tonight. I did have a friend of mine listen to the immersive ( on headphones) and he was impressed by the spaciousness. I worked a recording of the worship band I was in and mixed that. It was great to get the acoustic guitars in their own spaces !
JeffT

RE: export binaural - Dingo - 04-20-2024

(04-20-2024, 10:14 PM)JeffT Wrote: I did have a friend of mine listen to the immersive ( on headphones) and he was impressed by the spaciousness. I worked a recording of the worship band I was in and mixed that. It was great to get the acoustic guitars in their own spaces !
JeffT

Welcome to the forum...
Agreed the space and separation you can get is really impressive.

I have been experimenting with very simple elements like a Guitarist/Singer with only three mics - one vocal and two on the guitar.
I find that by simply opening the panning up a bit it can sound as though you are sitting on a stool in front of the artist.

Used the Immersive panner moving Guitar mics leftish / rightish and a bit into the sides of the room, Vocals coming forward into the room (more into my face) and elevated a bit in height plus added Reverb ... subtle but starting from the high rear with an increased size.

Cool stuff

RE: export binaural - Stephane Morisse - 04-21-2024

(04-20-2024, 11:56 AM)krans Wrote: I guess the request here is an option to export the binaural "audition" as a stereo mix, am I right @calimerox?

I give this request a +1, simply because the immersive way of mixing also can give you stereomixes with a different feel than what old fashioned mixing do. So a "Export binaural mix as stereo file" option would be neat my opinion.

this is what I meant. I work a lot for installations and theater with headphones supply.

RE: export binaural - arthie - 04-21-2024

(04-20-2024, 08:57 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: At the moment, the 'popular' streaming services only support 2 kinds of files:  traditional stereo, and atmos ADM.  The function of the ADM file is to 'adapt' to the listener's setup. So if they have stereo headphones with the 'immersive' setting on, they might hear binaural.  Whereas a home theater might play that same file in stereo or surround.

So:  while it's important to 'audition' your mix in binaural, there are very few services that will allow you to actually upload a binaural mix.  Nor should you send it to your friends for auditioning, really, because they might play it on speakers where it will probably sound weaker than a regular stereo mix.

-Ben

The option to render binaural is would be good for two reasons: 1st: you could send your client which does not have any option to play ADMBWFs a file for approval via standard-headphone (they will not play it through speakers if you tell them and it is the best option for approvals with clients who do not have any possibility to play atmos) and 2nd: Some labels specify a binaural Render as a part part of the final file-set (e.g. Sony).