Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSL 2 Ubuntu studio
Hi All 

I seem to be getting a low level constant noise using the ssl 2.
More annoying than anything..
Changing the USB cable for a longer one is even more noisy.

Got to say the SSL sounds superb on my monitors. Smile Smile

Now my X32 Rack no longer shows up for jack, no idea why.

At Least Mixbus starts with out all 32 tracks! Thank you.

Thinking Re- install of the OS as I've been getting the black screen flashing cursor thing Alt F2 for a TTY  and using "StartX" returns," something went wrong please logout"
have to reboot.

Any Ideas please let me know.
Cheers all
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 24.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.
(03-10-2024, 02:30 PM)wavesound Wrote: Hi All 

You may have a grounding issue with your monitor cabling.

There are a number of old but still relevant articles here from Rane audio that go into correct grounding procedures.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-10-2024, 02:30 PM)wavesound Wrote: Hi All 

I assume the SSL was just added? I don't know the unit, but is it by chance powered by a "wall wart"?
These cheap switching power supplies (also in laptops) can be a source of grief through potential differences. Also they can catch RF.
In case of RF you might get away with cable with ferrite beads, you can also try to central ground all USB shields of all cables between components.
It's pretty complex and sometimes hit & miss. Especially when you have "unearthed" power supplies in your setup.
For example, years ago, I found out I have noise when I connect my laptop to my Midi controller, but only when the laptop runs on wall power, even on the same outlet. The noise disappeared when I ran the lappy on battery...

Unplug all your USB cables one at a time, while all others are connected, and see if you can circle in the culprit, good luck.

Cheers, MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
HI All
Well USB C has different flavours!!!
I bought a more expensive cable  I think is screened and what a difference.
No Noise at all!.(even there own short cable had a small issue)
Link is here:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09NRGJC75?p...ct_details
Worth a look. Also save you time.
Cheers
Linux for years!
Hi The SSL 2 is USB powered and a new better USB cable solved the issue.
Strange they supply a substandard short cable.
Thanks for the reply.
Linux for years!
Just to mention...
You need to be very careful with computer interface type cables (USB, HDMI, etc.) cables these days.
For any given type (say, USB, for example) there are numerous versions of capability (version 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, etc)
and they all run best when matched to the version of the device's port.
Further... A LOT of the cables you cables you can buy on Amazon (or anywhere else really) are crap so don't go the inexpensive route.
In general, if the cable doesn't include operational specifications, don't but it!
Curious that SSL supplied a substandard cable... Hope their sales strategy is not to cheap out on connection parts.
Sadly, many equipment (audio and computer) manufacturers are doing that.

Cheers!
Patrick
At least RME as a manufacturer recommends a Sonnet PCIe card for the USB3 connection to guarantee the best possible stability. With FL1100 USB3 Chipset, at least for their USB3 devices. It might be a good option to use a separate card for the USB connections as well, if there is a possibility. Motherboards' own connections can sometimes cause interference
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

@wavesound on a side note, how are you finding the SSL2? I'm considering getting one.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(03-12-2024, 09:34 PM)sunrat Wrote: @wavesound on a side note, how are you finding the SSL2? I'm considering getting one.
Very good so far  plenty of headroom. Not to sure about the 4k setting . Used once on vocals , happy with the result.
For the money it's unbeatable. Cheers
Linux for years!
(03-13-2024, 10:44 AM)wavesound Wrote:
(03-12-2024, 09:34 PM)sunrat Wrote: @wavesound on a side note, how are you finding the SSL2? I'm considering getting one.
Very good so far  plenty of headroom. Not to sure about the 4k setting . Used once on vocals , happy with the result.
For the money it's unbeatable. Cheers

Thanks! Will have to replace my ancient M-Audio 2496 one day. Been hesitant to switch to USB card after PCI, although I could ditch the mixer. Surely the SSL converters would be better and the price is quite reasonable. Considering the SSL 2+ actually.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.