Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDI Pitch Bend and Sustain Edit Events - Where?
Off the automation Menu for a MIDI track I am looking for my sustain and pitch bend events to edit them but I'm only seeing "Bender" with 16 channels. Same goes for Sustain which I am wildly presuming is Mixbuses "Pressure" Event???

Also seeing "Polyphonic Pressure" which again I will assume is Modulation?

Am I missing something or is there not a simpler way for me to quickly identify and edit these specific events b/c it looks like I'm being provisioned with 16 channel blank checkboxes for each of these areas with no way of identifying which is actually being used. I'd have expected at least a check in the box for those which have been used or something similar.

I've also been searching for a while now trying to find a way to simply mute a MIDI note and haven't found a thing for such a trivial mundane task. Looks like this was presented as a feature request 6 years ago that seemed to have been responded to as being a reasonable ask at the time. Where is it???

Huh
iMac Pro 27, 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel XEON, 256GB RAM • iMac Pro 27, 3GHz 10-Core XEON, 64GB RAM • Apollo x8p, UAD Satellite Octo • Yamaha XF8 • KORG Oasis • OSX Monterey • OSX Ventura • MixBus 32c • Logic • StudioOne • Cubase
I hate to say it but if you're trying to do anything in MIDI other than just playing the parts in and very basic editing (I can't even find my way around that tbh) you're going to be tearing your hair out.

I see you use Studio One & Logic - I'd recommend doing all your midi pre-production/writing in those apps and importing either the midi files or the bounced audio into Mixbus. Mix bus - hmm, the clue is in the title MIXbus... For me (I know others here disagree) MIDI in Mixbus is an absolute no go area, stuck in Atari 1040 territory and not even as good as it was back then. I've been using MIDI and computers since it began and use all the leading DAWs. I will never, ever use midi in MB, it simply isn't worth the headache.
(01-10-2024, 09:24 AM)Scardanelli Wrote: I hate to say it but if you're trying to do anything in MIDI other than just playing the parts in and very basic editing (I can't even find my way around that tbh) you're going to be tearing your hair out.

I see you use Studio One & Logic - I'd recommend doing all your midi pre-production/writing in those apps and importing either the midi files or the bounced audio into Mixbus. Mix bus - hmm, the clue is in the title MIXbus... For me (I know others here disagree) MIDI in Mixbus is an absolute no go area, stuck in Atari 1040 territory and not even as good as it was back then.  I've been using MIDI and computers since it began and use all the leading DAWs. I will never, ever use midi in MB, it simply isn't worth the headache.

After having tried to use Mixbus for the most minimal of tasks with respect to MIDI editing, I'm inclined to agree with you 100%. I kind of suspected I would have issues using Mixbus for MIDI editing early on but being a newcomer to using it, I was granting the benefit of doubt and presuming I was being a bit much pre-judgemental.

That said, I'd already determined that I'd use Logic for all my preliminary mixing and MIDI editing but b/c it didn't seem to make justifiable sense to use Logic strictly for MIDI composing and editing for my projects and then Mixbus for everything else Audio specific; I'd been using Logic for everything and then import Audio STEMS of my project into Mixbus to complete the work with the unique sonic character that only Mixbus offers.

But there are always those times when polishing up the final product that I'd like to use 1 or 2 (at the most) VST instruments within a Mixbus session. So not talking anything major in terms of work, but the more time I spend trying to perform the most mundane and smallest tasks within Mixbus working with MIDI; the less I'm impressed for the lack of a more intuitive implementation.

I really get and appreciate all the hard work and development that has obviously been devoted to making a stellar product in other aspects; but I think there is a MAJOR lack of support for making the MIDI implementation more intutive and practical. For example, even working with a MIDI track, if my cursor isn't directly on the piano roll when I want to scroll the MIDI editor, the whole editing window (audio and midi) scrolls. Confused 

So I think you're right on this one. It's just ashame that I can't add 1 VST MIDI track and work it without un-neccessary hurdles.

I guess if you're just recording audio and that is your sole focus, there will be no complaints or gripes about it. But for those of use who use DAW's for composing performing simple task with MIDI or optionally find things like the supporting Musical Scores and etc. a nice feature. Mixbus is definitely way behind.

Thanks for the suggestion. Guess I'm dead in the water then.
iMac Pro 27, 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel XEON, 256GB RAM • iMac Pro 27, 3GHz 10-Core XEON, 64GB RAM • Apollo x8p, UAD Satellite Octo • Yamaha XF8 • KORG Oasis • OSX Monterey • OSX Ventura • MixBus 32c • Logic • StudioOne • Cubase
so I do my midi stuff in Mixbus also.. buut I am just partially happy, main issue for me is not the workflow, just the stability of the work flowing... Really struggling with that.. But as I do lot of mixing, arranging and composing at the same time and not in different steps, going back and foth in DAWs would not be toooo well for my workflow.. but mixing in mixbus really did improve my results, so I want to use it even if it is hard sometimes...
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
You generally want to choose the "Processor Automation", which will have all the options delivered with your plugin, not the generic ones.

I'd post a picture, but it won't let me.
(01-10-2024, 11:08 AM)mixbuswlk Wrote: You generally want to choose the "Processor Automation", which will have all the options delivered with your plugin, not the generic ones.

I'd post a picture, but it won't let me.

[Image: nfZW0nw.png]
(01-10-2024, 11:08 AM)arthie Wrote: so I do my midi stuff in Mixbus also.. buut I am just partially happy, main issue for me is not the workflow, just the stability of the work flowing... Really struggling with that.. But as I do lot of mixing, arranging and composing at the same time and not in different steps, going back and foth in DAWs would not be toooo well for my workflow.. but mixing in mixbus really did improve my results, so I want to use it even if it is hard sometimes...

I love it for mixing as well but yeah, workflow is another pain point for me too.
(01-10-2024, 11:13 AM)mixbuswlk Wrote: You generally want to choose the "Processor Automation", which will have all the options delivered with your plugin, not the generic ones.

Thanks for that. It's useful information and I'll try to find that "simple" sustain and pitch bend I'm looking for but here again is another example of the degree of un-neccessary complexity for what should be an item readily and easily available from the main context menu. This VST is a Korg Extreme Synth

There are 494 parameters available with multiple parameters controlling some sustain aspect of the synths sound. Who wants to dig through all of that just to switch the sustain on or off for a single chord or note? I'll try to see what I can come up with but at this rate, it seems more reasonable to just increase the length of each not than to go through this maze.

On a side note, if anyone has suggestions on how to resize images here it would be appreciated.

[Image: 61F8NZx.png]
(01-10-2024, 11:42 AM)maestro777 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:13 AM)mixbuswlk Wrote: You generally want to choose the "Processor Automation", which will have all the options delivered with your plugin, not the generic ones.

Thanks for that. It's useful information and I'll try to find that "simple" sustain and pitch bend I'm looking for but here again is another example of the degree of un-neccessary complexity for what should be an item readily and easily available from the main context menu. This VST is a Korg Extreme Synth

There are 494 parameters available with multiple parameters controlling some sustain aspect of the synths sound. Who wants to dig through all of that just to switch the sustain on or off for a single chord or note? I'll try to see what I can come up with but at this rate, it seems more reasonable to just increase the length of each not than to go through this maze.

On a side note, if anyone has suggestions on how to resize images here it would be appreciated.

Here's just the parameter guide for the Extreme...

https://www.korguser.net/collection/manu...uide_E.pdf

Might be best to get on a Korg user forum and ask what the top 10 options are Tongue
(01-10-2024, 01:36 PM)mixbuswlk Wrote: Here's just the parameter guide for the Extreme...

https://www.korguser.net/collection/manu...uide_E.pdf

Might be best to get on a Korg user forum and ask what the top 10 options are Tongue

Thanks!
LOL.... Okay, so extend the note length it is Big Grin