Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The built-in master bus eq is actually quite brilliant?
I'm used to brighter mixes like in Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill, Rolling Stones' Some Girls, etc. When I start a mix in Mixbus it usually starts off quite dark though I do like the warmth and body that Mixbus is adding by default. Just wanted to point out how well you can change the whole tone of the track so naturally with the built-in master bus eq at the start of the mix before eq-ing the rest of the tracks. Pretty hard to ruin the track too since it's +/-6dB so it's pretty gentle.
I agree with this assessment. I did a test by mixing the same project audio stems in MB 32c, Reaper, and PG Music’s Realband. It was easier to get a dynamic mix in MB. I was able to get good solid mixes in the other two but it took a lot of work to tweak the fx to reproduce the end results from MB.
Older Mac Mini 16 gig 1TB drive. MixBus32c latest version, Reaper 6, Band in a Box 2023, Presonus Audiobox VSL1818, several guitars. 
Yes the Mixbus (300/800/2K) and Master (90/300/4K) EQ's are really good for overall tonal shaping.
Many people overlook and under rate these EQ's, but they can help you get a better overall sound really quickly.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-24-2023, 02:46 AM)Dingo Wrote: Yes the Mixbus (300/800/2K) and Master (90/300/4K) EQ's are really good for overall tonal shaping.
Many people overlook and under rate these EQ's, but they can help you get a better overall sound really quickly.

The chosen center frequencies are genius. I've only tried actively using it on one mix so far. Do you usually apply it at the beginning before going into the channel eqs?
(10-25-2023, 04:10 AM)tonstwo Wrote: Do you usually apply it at the beginning before going into the channel eqs?

A bit of both actually, I find the shaping provided gives me the ability to quickly get a 'global' EQ setting depending on the nature of the material and where it was recorded.
I tend to get a rough balance first up using the Trim controls before I start Channel EQ, Dynamics and Faders.
I aim to get the mix roughly 3 to 6 dB under the target level, then work into that as I go.
Fine tuning is done on the Mixbus returns and the Master.
I use LAN as a quick way to get an understanding of what overall levels are... but once your ear gets tuned to a target loudness it becomes kind of second nature.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-25-2023, 08:04 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 04:10 AM)tonstwo Wrote: Do you usually apply it at the beginning before going into the channel eqs?

A bit of both actually, I find the shaping provided gives me the ability to quickly get a 'global' EQ setting depending on the nature of the material and where it was recorded.
I tend to get a rough balance first up using the Trim controls before I start Channel EQ, Dynamics and Faders.
I aim to get the mix roughly 3 to 6 dB under the target level, then work into that as I go.
Fine tuning is done on the Mixbus returns and the Master.
I use LAN as a quick way to get an understanding of what overall levels are... but once your ear gets tuned to a target loudness it becomes kind of second nature.

What is LAN ?
LAN - Loudness Analysis and Normalisation is a functionality that can be added to the Master Channel allowing real time or high speed analysis of your mix to various loudness 'targets' or 'profiles' - a very handy tool.

https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...normalizer
(10-27-2023, 01:46 AM)Dingo Wrote: LAN - Loudness Analysis and Normalisation is a functionality that can be added to the Master Channel allowing real time or high speed analysis of your mix to various loudness 'targets' or 'profiles' - a very handy tool.

https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...normalizer

Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten its existence !