Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does the drive button beside the trim knob determine the amount of drive?
Is it based on just the knob position? Or the level going into the channel with fader at 0?
Drive section is at the beginning of the chain just after the trim. The amount of signal and trim determines the level of drive.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
I had always assumed that the channel 'Drive' was simulating the roll of an analog recorder so it would be after the 'Disk' (ie: record level determines tape saturation) and prior to the Trim as you would experience on a console.
That's the case with the Mixbuses so it's an interesting difference... thanks for clarifying
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-27-2023, 04:10 PM)Dingo Wrote: I had always assumed that the channel 'Drive' was simulating the roll of an analog recorder so it would be after the 'Disk' (ie: record level determines tape saturation) and prior to the Trim as you would experience on a console.
That's the case with the Mixbuses so it's an interesting difference... thanks for clarifying

As you turn up the trim you will notice more drive.  In future versions this may change but that was the "best" it could be at the time while introducing a new feature.  Seems more people were concerned with the direction of the gain reduction meters than how the drive actually worked.
The Doctor
(10-27-2023, 02:24 PM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote: Drive section is at the beginning of the chain just after the trim.  The amount of signal and trim determines the level of drive.

So it seems to be working like an analog character preamp that will begin to break up after a certain signal level?
Good to know
Please, add this in the signal flow diagram
Thanks Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(10-27-2023, 10:43 PM)tonstwo Wrote:
(10-27-2023, 02:24 PM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote: Drive section is at the beginning of the chain just after the trim.  The amount of signal and trim determines the level of drive.

So it seems to be working like an analog character preamp that will begin to break up after a certain signal level?
The higher the signal the more drive you get.  You can crank it up higher with the trim knob after the recording.  This does not affect the signal coming in while recording.
The Doctor