Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iLok - So what?
(09-25-2023, 10:25 PM)x42 Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 07:08 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: The only valid Pro Linux contribution here came from Robin, the "Mixbus Developer" himself hasn't gone that far a.f.a.i.k. Besides, the Herrison-Mixer part of Mixbus is not GPL.... there might be the loophole. Would be interesting what RMS has to say about it.

Still, for Mixbus itself, iLok is not a realistic option.
I hope I'm totally wrong here Smile
Quote:I also believe there are no DAWs that require an iLok. It is usually only for plugins.

Haha what about the "industry standard"? I.i.r.c. they wanted it even for the free crippled version.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths

context, developer of https://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/
@dspasic the resolution of your images makes it impossible to read, is there another way you can display your point ?
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Actually, for me, ILok can be just fine with AVA plugins, for Windows and Mac. But Mixbus and Mixbus 32C and whatever it is in the future must be without the ILok system. And as long as Linux support continues and improves in the future, everything is fine. I'll always use Linux now that I've invested 3 years into it after a crappy Windows journey that was dark and gloomy.

Dear Harrison and SSL people, don't spoil this all good and beautiful. We can still be the best together if we want to. But trust, it must not be compromised because everything is based on it. I appeal to you. dif-tor heh smusma!!
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

Ultimately, isn't this is really up to Audiotonix/SSL? I can not imagine that in this corporate conglomeration that the good folks at Harrison really have the final say. If iLok was needed to market AVA plugins to the pro audio world, then why didn't Harrison put it into use when it first introduced the AVA product line?
Read the writing on the wall. Do not ignore it.
Just my 2 cents ($9.00 per month).
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
This is Audiotonix's mission statement.

To develop the latest technology for the professional audio industry, and to remove boundaries to creativity.

Let's all think on that for a few minutes.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(09-26-2023, 07:04 AM)Theotherguy Wrote: [...] and to remove boundaries to creativity.
I very much see iLok as a massive boundary to creativity. But well, that's just, like, my opinion...
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

Would somebody please clarify the following use case for iLok:

"Person works in multiple studios - includes multiple OSs (Linux/Mac/Windows) and wants to assure all their iLok'd software is useable - everywhere."

Software:
- Person purchases iLok'd software and installs it on an external media - not to be associated with any particular computer. - - - Is this possible?
- Person can then attach above media to any computer in any studio. - - - Correct?

Licensing:
- Person purchases iLok licensing (for above mentioned software) and installs on a USB stick. - - - I presume this is possible?
- Person replicates above USB stick for reliability purposes. - - - I presume this is also possible? - - - If so, is this limited to making only (1) copy?
- Person can then use either USB stick to enable all related iLok'd software to run - on any computer at any of these studios?

Thank you.
Patrick
And here we go again. Presonus Studio one released a Linux version. Public Beta

https://www.presonus.com/en/studio-one-tech-specs.html

It has been said that there will be more of these, so maybe it's worth being a part of the renewing world, where Linux is really a good option.

Where's my popcorn bag? Cool