Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iLok - So what?
(09-25-2023, 06:15 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Oh yeah trust: When you attempt to purchase the free (as already owner) iLok version of Drum/Bass Flow so you have the latest version for Linux without lock you come across some interesting things:
  1. For Win/Mac users it's SSL Download Manager coercion, they don't have a choice of just downloading the plugin - another piece of unnecessary software on your computer.

Not the case Max, there are links for all flavours to download directly no must use DM.

https://support.solidstatelogic.com/hc/e...-Downloads

(09-25-2023, 06:15 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: MMM

Edit and P.S.: Existing non-lock versions should keep working, also on Win/Mac right? So why locking them then? There's only one conclusion, sadly: Mixbus will be iLoked for Win/Mac soon, too. From there it's only a short step to forking Ardour and dropping the Linux branch.

I really think you are doing a 'Henny Penny' Max.... from what has been said here by Ben and others, it is only the AVA plugins that are being put under iLok for Mac/win users.
The VST/AAX/AU side of the AVA range makes them open to use across all DAWS and this is a much bigger user pool than the Mixbus/ X range and this is where the iLok business model makes a certain amount of sense.

I work as a freelancer in a number of studios and take my Harrison MPC Channel license with me on a USB stick.
The reason I have to do so is that I have had my .txt license ripped by some studios and found Harrison MPC and AVA with my name on them scattered around the studio.

Sorry but I want Harrison to survive, thrive and continue.

Using iLok is not saying you are a thief, it is saying however that there are people out there who will rip off software and give nothing back to the people who spend years developing them.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-25-2023, 06:36 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 06:15 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Oh yeah trust: When you attempt to purchase the free (as already owner) iLok version of Drum/Bass Flow so you have the latest version for Linux without lock you come across some interesting things:

For Win/Mac users it's SSL Download Manager coercion, they don't have a choice of just downloading the plugin - another piece of unnecessary software on your computer.

Not the case Max, there are links for all flavours to download directly no must use DM.

https://support.solidstatelogic.com/hc/e...-Downloads

(09-25-2023, 06:15 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: MMM

Edit and P.S.: Existing non-lock versions should keep working, also on Win/Mac right? So why locking them then? There's only one conclusion, sadly: Mixbus will be iLoked for Win/Mac soon, too. From there it's only a short step to forking Ardour and dropping the Linux branch.

I really think you are doing a 'Henny Penny' Max.... from what has been said here by Ben and others, it is only the AVA plugins that are being put under iLok for Mac/win users.
The VST/AAX/AU side of the AVA range makes them open to use across all DAWS and this is a much bigger user pool than the Mixbus/ X range and this is where the iLok business model makes a certain amount of sense.

I work as a freelancer in a number of studios and take my Harrison MPC Channel license with me on a USB stick.
The reason I have to do so is that I have had my .txt license ripped by some studios and found Harrison MPC and AVA with my name on them scattered around the studio.

Sorry but I want Harrison to survive, thrive and continue.

Using iLok is not saying you are a thief, it is saying however that there are people out there who will rip off software and give nothing back to the people who spend years developing them.

How do you get to that download page without knowing the link? I've tried all kind of clickpaths, I always ended up with Linux as normal but Win/Mac: Download manager.
Let's see what SSL do - my expectations are low.

The only valid Pro Linux contribution here came from Robin, the "Mixbus Developer" himself hasn't gone that far a.f.a.i.k. Besides, the Herrison-Mixer part of Mixbus is not GPL.... there might be the loophole. Would be interesting what RMS has to say about it.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
O.T.: this forum's citation function is broken for a while now.
Linux throughout!

(09-25-2023, 07:08 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: How do you get to that download page without knowing the link? I've tried all kind of clickpaths, I always ended up with Linux as normal but Win/Mac: Download manager.

I did what I always do when looking for info... just searched for 'Harrison' on the SSL site and found that page.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-25-2023, 07:11 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: O.T.: this forum's citation function is broken for a while now.

Make sure the view source button (RHS - second row) is checked...
(09-25-2023, 07:13 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 07:08 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: How do you get to that download page without knowing the link? I've tried all kind of clickpaths, I always ended up with Linux as normal but Win/Mac: Download manager.

I did what I always do when looking for info... just searched for 'Harrison' on the SSL site and found that page.

That's what I did - then clicked on Bass Flow, then downloads, and I ended up here:
https://store.solidstatelogic.com/plug-i...=downloads and ultimately here:

Edit: I found a click path - you need to start on the home page then go to "Support" (not! Downloads), then click yourself down a deep rabbit hole to find it on the bottom.
I take back "coercion", I call it very well hidden, make up your mind about it.
Linux throughout!

(09-25-2023, 07:15 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 07:11 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: O.T.: this forum's citation function is broken for a while now.

Make sure the view source button (RHS - second row) is checked...

Thanks that worked Smile
Linux throughout!

(09-25-2023, 07:13 PM)Dingo Wrote:

Yes... I see what you are talking about... I must have been lucky to land on the 'offline' installer page.
When going through the store or normal links on site I see Linux has direct download, but Win / Mac are pushed into download manager which is a backward step for me.
Having spent ages extracting NI, HALion and IK multimedia 'Managers' from my systems I really don't want another.
I can cope with iLok (have to to use No Tools) but another DM is just about too much for me... I shall just have to google site for 'offline installers' Huh
(09-25-2023, 09:03 PM)Dingo Wrote: Having spent ages extracting NI, HALion and IK multimedia 'Managers' from my systems I really don't want another.
I can cope with iLok (have to to use No Tools) but another DM is just about too much for me...  I shall just have to google site for 'offline installers' Huh

I think iZotope have it right. No fuss there.
MMM
Linux throughout!

(09-25-2023, 07:08 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: The only valid Pro Linux contribution here came from Robin, the "Mixbus Developer" himself hasn't gone that far a.f.a.i.k. Besides, the Herrison-Mixer part of Mixbus is not GPL.... there might be the loophole. Would be interesting what RMS has to say about it.

For general info: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLPlugins , but this not apply to Mixbus if you read Mixbus > Menu > Help > About > License
The relevant text can also be found here.

Still, for Mixbus itself, iLok is not a realistic option.

I also believe there are no DAWs that require an iLok. It is usually only for plugins.