Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your reverb setup using only the 12 default buses in 32c?
I often use a vocal reverb, an instruments reverb, and a snare reverb. Placing each one on their own bus. Then adjust send levels to the instrument reverb bus: more = farther, less = closer. Is this satisfactory enough? I could add an aux bus for each instrument where I can place independent pre-delay times, but as far as I'm aware aux buses aren't delay compensated so I can't do that. Any tips on reverb setup for Mixbus?
Aux (utility) busses are indeed delay compensated.
Intel | Ventura | www.brownsound.net
(09-22-2023, 07:46 AM)Brownsound Wrote: Aux (utility) busses are indeed delay compensated.

Oh I must've been mistaken. I looked up some other threads about it after reading your reply and tested it myself and it does seem that they are delay compensated. My bad. Well now, this changes things!
(09-22-2023, 08:18 AM)tonstwo Wrote:
(09-22-2023, 07:46 AM)Brownsound Wrote: Aux (utility) busses are indeed delay compensated.

Oh I must've been mistaken. I looked up some other threads about it after reading your reply and tested it myself and it does seem that they are delay compensated. My bad. Well now, this changes things!

The best way to find/check whether any track or bus is really delay compensated is sending a click track. It also shows clearly if any plugin added  either to the track or to the bus may cause delay if the pure click proved to be all right.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
@tonstwo -

Back to your original question...

Many of us tend to use the built-in mixbusses for effects - reverb, echo, etc.
And, for this purpose, (12) mixbusses are indeed sufficient.
For other purposes, such as instrument grouping, creating additional AUX busses is very common.
What's more, you can place them anywhere in the arrangement of the Mixer window.
I always position such a bus just to the right of each instrument group I use them for,
although I do know of one individual who prefers to place all of his AUX busses to the far right of everything else in the Mixer window
so they are right next to the built-in mixbusses. Either way, both types are controllable via VCAs so their manipulation during
an actual mixdown is the same.

Cheers!
Patrick
1-8 are for instruments. 9-12 are for effects.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
Same for me, often send from individual channels or from bus 1-8 back into bus 9-12… sometimes use a utility bus for special effects or if I run out of busses.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-22-2023, 05:04 PM)Dingo Wrote: Same for me, often send from individual channels or from bus 1-8 back into bus 9-12… sometimes use a utility bus for special effects or if I run out of busses.

Do you use send levels to place instruments back or forward? Is that a common thing to do?
Yes very much so, my background is radio and post production so I use reverb to create a sense of depth or space, not just putting instruments into a room.
I worked with a very talented engineer (Mike Stavrou) who likened mixing to painting a 3D picture with sound.
Stav would add perspective with reverb and EQ, creating a depth for each instrument, he imagined the stereo image as a wide screen painting with instruments left and right, but also height (obtained by EQ or choice of instrumentation) his goal was to allow each instrument its own space leaving room for others... no messy clutter just clarity.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Hi

I'm an oldtimer and I used to be a FOH mixer. Back in the days, reverbs was expensive and we could not afford more than one reverb. That means that I'm grew up having one mixbus on the console for reverb. Remembering when I saw a digital Lexicon reverb for the first time. It was 19" rack and about 1 meter high. The price was....high.

Now I usually use 3 mixbuses for reverb:

One mixbus for vocal and instruments without heavy attacks 

One mixbus for drums and heavy attacks instruments. On that bus I use the leveler with 0 attack and dial in suitable release and ratio. This is done before the reverb to prevent the reverb from overload when the attack hits, making the reverb sort of 'yelling'. This technique makes a smooth and nice reverb tail to those instruments.

One mixbus for my setup to enhance dept, air, space and separation if possible. The reverb(Linux only reverb) on that bus is extremely short and nearly audible as a reverb. The predelay may wary.  There's two other plugins on that mixbus as well.

Steinar ?

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface