Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
move to iLok makes AVA plugins unsupported under Linux
C'mon guys 

This is a regressive move and very disappointing .

While it is possible to get iLok cloud working on Linux -- it is not officially supported and can be more than a small feat if it's not packaged for your distro (e.g. arch) 

C'mon SSL and Harrison this is a poor move... 

What is the rationale behind this?  Angry Angry
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com 
I am on windows and iLock plugins I avoid. Cannot see any good use of it.
It is good only for making plugins less popular....
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(08-30-2023, 11:24 PM)allank Wrote: C'mon guys 

While it is possible to get iLok cloud working on Linux -- it is not officially supported and can be more than a small feat if it's not packaged for your distro (e.g. arch) 

iLok is not supported on Linux, so the existing text file licensing system stays in place for Linux users.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
What about 32C channel? If it turns out that the long awaited update needs an iLok… well. To be continued. lol
just use it as long as possbile and when it stops working for your system just don't update and don't buy anymore. Fusions of companies are seldom to everybodys benefit (most of all not for the customer). But we will have to wait and see how things continue.. I think if any plugin looses support for linux, they will all fall of step by step..

If microsoft and apple continue their actual policy and path so that you some day can't really work with it any further, Linux will become much more important and then harrison as well as SSL will be glad if they have a supported product on the platform which will imediately bring new customers... but that is future thoughts and one will see...
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(08-31-2023, 01:18 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 11:24 PM)allank Wrote: C'mon guys 

iLok is not supported on Linux, so the existing text file licensing system stays in place for Linux users.

While that seems like good news... 

It's not really. 

I work across 2 linux systems and a windows system so will have to maintain 2 license models? 

Will they even allow that? 

But it also is concerning that they've chosen a copy protection method that isn't consistent across all OS. Working in software - I've only seen things like that before when one platform is going be on the way out. 

Smells like linux support is going away in the long term. Even though officially "there is no plan".... We only hear there is no plan in the short term not to get rid of linux versions.. 

Of all the copy protection systems to go with iLok is possibly the worst. If you want to ensure that you have no downtime - you have to pay iLok... 

You can only de-register a device from that device ... So if you lose a hard drive - or if your dongle gets corrupted --- you need to contact iLok support (who are pretty slow). Then they have to "Get permission" from the software publisher/developer to re-issue your licenses. 

Other vendors give  you the ablilty to de-register your device online or at the very least they will do it immediately via a support ticket..
Allan  Klinbail 

I never had issues with iLok and my crashing PCs, but I allways used the USB-Sticks (which were almost unbreakable unlike the ones from Steinberg). Started with using iLoks back in the days when I was on proTools and most RTAS-Plugins required iLok.. Still have some licenses for these plugIns but can't use them due to switch of DAW Wink
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(08-31-2023, 02:55 AM)arthie Wrote: I never had issues with iLok and my crashing PCs, but I allways used the USB-Sticks (which were almost unbreakable unlike the ones from Steinberg). Started with using iLoks back in the days when I was on proTools and most RTAS-Plugins required iLok.. Still have some licenses for these plugIns but can't use them due to switch of DAW Wink

You'd be lucky that your iLok never corrupted - I've heard some serious horror stories. 

On my Linux partition (which is the main one I use) - I've had the disk corrupt and it took days for iLok to get the 4 plugins I had re-instated. Thankfully I went straight to the developer who issued me with extra on the spot. 
However, for all my other paid plugins - either it didn't matter at all (Fabfilter,U-He, Harrison) or I could deregister the device (Plugin Alliance) or I tech support re-issued the license on the spot (Pulsar Modular) 

I don't think paying for "!00% uptime" to protect myself against their own product deficiencies is ok...
Allan  Klinbail 

Regarding the 'fore-mentioned "Cloud iLok":
NO!
My session computers are disconnected from the Internet when used as such
and then only temporarily connected when I need to download specific contents to them.
This insures that nothing "from outside the studio" can affect running sessions.
It also minimizes the possibility of getting an unwelcomed update or intrusion overall.
This especially applies to my Windows machines!!
It is the mode-of-operation for my remote studio affiliates and
I recommend this policy to all readers here.

Cheers!
Patrick
Forgive my ignorance but how does Cloud iLok work?  i.e. do your plugins only work as long as you're connected online?  Or do you connect once and then they'll carry on working for (say) the rest of that day?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!