Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
move to iLok makes AVA plugins unsupported under Linux
(09-01-2023, 01:31 AM)johne53 Wrote: Forgive my ignorance but how does Cloud iLok work?  i.e. do your plugins only work as long as you're connected online?  Or do you connect once and then they'll carry on working for (say) the rest of that day?

iLok Cloud is not relevant to SSL/Harrison licensing model as the two options offered are Computer or iLok dongle.
Cloud costs the manufacturers more so it is not always offered.

But to answer your question... iLok Cloud is a 'virtual iLok' that can be used with any license type (trials, perpetuals, NFRs, subscriptions) and a continual internet connection

I am not a great fan of the iLok model but it is a reality for anyone working in Post or on Protools.
Used iLok dongles for years and never had a disaster.

To help prevent damage to the iLok I use a short (200mm) USB extender that A/ reduces the amount of make/breaks on the USB stick (connectors have a limited make/break life) and B/ reduces the chance of being snapped in an exposed USB slot on a floor or rack mounted PC.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-01-2023, 02:15 AM)Dingo Wrote: But to answer your question... iLok Cloud is a 'virtual iLok' that can be used with any license type (trials, perpetuals, NFRs, subscriptions) and a continual internet connection

Hmmm... I gotta say, iLok seems a bit of a dodgy concept to me. In fact any security system which deliberately breaks everything else when it breaks down itself is clearly a flawed design. Imagine having a fire alarm in your house. It stops working one day so it immediately disables everything in the house which could possibly start a fire!!

I daresay insurers would love it - yet somehow, I can't see it being popular among householders  Sad
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!