Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing a Debian file browser
apt list will show if it is installed eg. Dolphin FM on my Debian Buster KDE system:

Code:
$ apt list dolphin
Listing... Done
dolphin/oldstable,now 4:18.08.0-1 amd64 [installed]

However if you install a file manager from a desktop environment such as Nautilus from Gnome or Dolphin from KDE, it will also install a lot of those DE dependencies possibly a large proportion of that DE maybe a couple of GB.

You can try installing SpaceFM which would gave less dependencies, although if you have no graphical environment at all it will install a number of  extra packages anyway.

Code:
sudo apt install spacefm

You can simulate what the apt command proposes to do with the -s switch so you know what will be installed without actually installing it (sudo not needed for simulate):
Code:
apt install -s spacefm
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Although Microsoft's WSL supposedly supports graphical apps now, it failed when installing either Nautilus or SpaceFM. So I tried Jostein's suggestion of the character-based browser (Midnight Commander) and that one installs and runs just fine. Top marks to Microsoft for at least trying to support Linux but if even a graphical browser can't be installed, it looks like WSL still has a bit of work to do...  Sad
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(05-26-2023, 05:23 AM)johne53 Wrote: it looks like WSL still has a bit of work to do...  Sad

I always thought WSL was a silly idea. Virtual machines FTW. Big Grin
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Woohoo! I contacted Microsoft and they advised me to run apt upgrade prior to running apt update and voila!! I now have the Nautilus browser running here in Debian on Windows!!

apt update # refreshes the package list with current versions (e.g. when foo 1.2.1 has replaced 1.2.0)
apt upgrade # installs the current versions of already installed packages
Thanks @ForestH. Using apt this morning I even managed to install and run Ardour - though at this early stage, it looks like Linux apps aren't yet allowed to access the audio hardware. Hopefully that's on Microsoft's TODO list  Cool
Here's a screenshot of my Sessions folder in Nautilus:-

Any idea how I'd bookmark this folder? I haven't used Nautilus much so I assumed I'd maybe drag the folder to where it says Starred but that doesn't seem to work.
help.gnome.org sez:
"Frequently-used folders can be added to the bookmark list for rapid access. To add the current folder to the bookmark list, press Ctrl+D or use the command Bookmarks ▸ Add Bookmark.
"To remove or rearrange bookmarks in a different order use the Bookmarks ▸ Edit Bookmarks command."
Thanks @ForrestH, Ctrl+D worked. Earlier I'd found various articles advising me to click on Bookmarks, or More or Bookmark Manager but where would I find them? Presumably there's normally a menu bar which isn't showing in my screenshot  Huh
I expect you've discovered by now, but for the benefit of future readers, Gnome software often hides its menus behind a "burger button"...