Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing a Debian file browser
I'm sure that'll seem like a dumb question so here's some background...

A couple of years ago I installed an application (on Windows) called WSL. It allows a Linux distro to run under Windows (Debian, in my case). Back in those early days WSL only supported non-GUI apps but a new version's been released which now allows conventional GUI apps. The problem (of course) is that I don't have any installed   Sad

I'm currently using a command line so I guess my first option should be to install a file browser - so which one would Debian typically use? And how do I install it? I assume I'd need apt-get or apt install or whatever but I'm not sure what to type    Huh
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(05-25-2023, 07:52 AM)johne53 Wrote: I'm currently using a command line so I guess my first option should be to install a file browser - so which one would Debian typically use? And how do I install it? I assume I'd need apt-get or apt install or whatever but I'm not sure what to type    Huh

Using the command line? Midnight Commander is probably what you want. I have used it since the 90s and it's so effective that I use it even when using in KDE.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Hmmm... I'd just need to install it via the command line (because I don't have any graphical browser at the moment...)

I was thinking of something more like Nautilus (which I think I once saw in Ubuntu)
(05-25-2023, 10:02 AM)johne53 Wrote: Hmmm... I'd just need to install it via the command line (because I don't have any graphical browser at the moment...)

I was thinking of something more like Nautilus (which I think I once saw in Ubuntu)

Command line:

sudo apt-get install mc
Hi Jostein - I'm looking for a graphical browser. Everything I've seen and read about Midnight Commander suggests that it's character based.

So, working from your example, would something like this work for me:-

sudo apt-get install nautilus

BTW - what's the difference between sudo apt-get install and sudo apt install  Huh
Just bear in mind that you're not just installing a graphical file browser, you'll be installing the graphic interface elements. So you'll probably see a lot of "depends on" kinds of statements that will inform you of all the files necessary to install in order to have you graphical file browser.

AFAIK, apt-get and apt are synonymous. Anyone?

Yours,
-Paul
MIxbus 7.1.97, Mixbus 32c 8.0.17
Roland Rubix 44 USB audio interface

Ubuntu Linux 21.10 5.13.0-40-lowlatency
(05-25-2023, 12:05 PM)johne53 Wrote: Hi Jostein - I'm looking for a graphical browser. Everything I've seen and read about Midnight Commander suggests that it's character based.

So, working from your example, would something like this work for me:-

sudo apt-get install nautilus

BTW - what's the difference between sudo apt-get install and sudo apt install  Huh

Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

apt is slightly more end-user-friendly than the older apt-get, and will work on almost any scenarios that are related to packages in Debian and the derivates. I use apt-get because the command is so hard programmed in my muscle memory.
The problem with graphical browsers is that many of them, like Nautilus and Dolphin and Thunar, are dependent on entire desktop environments. You may want to start with a lighter-duty jobbie like (googlepause) SpaceFM.
Hmmm... it's looking like SpaceFM might already be installed here. If I type apt list the outputted list contains these lines:-

spacefm-common/stable 1.0.6-4 all
spacefm-gtk3/stable 1.0.6-4 amd64
spacefm/stable 1.0.6-4 amd64

However... if I then type spacefm in a bash terminal it reports:- 

-bash: spacefm: command not found

So is there a way to find out where spacefm got installed (and then launch it) ??

Or are the above lines telling me that it's available to be installed, rather than actually installed  Huh
apt list spacefm # shows availability
apt policy spacefm # shows installation status