Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo to mono out
(04-15-2015, 02:33 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 02:10 AM)mbarhon Wrote: Hello, I guess that you don't need test the new kernel. Wink
The version 4.0 is only because new kernel numbering( https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/p...mtzzLiiejc ) ..instead of continue in 3.x series after 3.20 was numbering changed to 4.x series.
So there is no huge improvements or changes, it's simply 3.21 kernel re-numbered to 4.0....but it's effective Big Grin

Yeah I read that, too... however, isn't it a nice opportunity as I'm currently under 3.2?
Smile

MMM

I guess we here do not need to bother about kernel versions.

Just Big boys and New Toys issue !

But it was not a renumber only: 5 release candidates later Linus commented :

Linux 4.0 was a pretty small release both in linux-next and in final
size, although obviously "small" is all relative. It's still over 10k
non-merge commits. But we've definitely had bigger releases (and
judging by linux-next v4.1 is going to be one of the bigger ones).

For the server boys it contains huge change: upgrade without reboot. aka live patching. This would have changed my social life!! More free weekends.!!

some more examples:
  • Improvements to Intel ‘Skylake’ platform
  • Intel Quark SoC support
  • Various patches to improve Linux running on a Playstation 3
  • TOpen-source AMD Radeon driver supports DisplayPort Audio
  • Various misc HID driver tweaks, including Lenovo compact keyboards,
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD
  • Toshiba power settings driver adds USB sleep/charge functionality, rapid charge, sleep w/ music, etc
  • File System tweaks, including F2FS, BtrfFS, etc

Yes i agree with mbarhon no need to test
sounds cool though Ardour 4 Mixbus 4 kernel 4

Kind regards
Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Relax guys... I am just taking linux kernel 4.0 as the starting point for a rock stable recording machine with all the today's self compiled technologies, then frozen at this stage. Think AVLinux and you know what I mean :-D
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(04-16-2015, 01:15 AM)Frank Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 02:33 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 02:10 AM)mbarhon Wrote: Hello, I guess that you don't need test the new kernel. Wink
The version 4.0 is only because new kernel numbering( https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/p...mtzzLiiejc ) ..instead of continue in 3.x series after 3.20 was numbering changed to 4.x series.
So there is no huge improvements or changes, it's simply 3.21 kernel re-numbered to 4.0....but it's effective Big Grin

Yeah I read that, too... however, isn't it a nice opportunity as I'm currently under 3.2?
Smile

MMM

I guess we here do not need to bother about kernel versions.

Just Big boys and New Toys issue !

But it was not a renumber only: 5 release candidates later Linus commented :

Linux 4.0 was a pretty small release both in linux-next and in final
size, although obviously "small" is all relative. It's still over 10k
non-merge commits. But we've definitely had bigger releases (and
judging by linux-next v4.1 is going to be one of the bigger ones).

For the server boys it contains huge change: upgrade without reboot. aka live patching. This would have changed my social life!! More free weekends.!!

some more examples:
  • Improvements to Intel ‘Skylake’ platform
  • Intel Quark SoC support
  • Various patches to improve Linux running on a Playstation 3
  • TOpen-source AMD Radeon driver supports DisplayPort Audio
  • Various misc HID driver tweaks, including Lenovo compact keyboards,
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD
  • Toshiba power settings driver adds USB sleep/charge functionality, rapid charge, sleep w/ music, etc
  • File System tweaks, including F2FS, BtrfFS, etc

Yes i agree with mbarhon no need to test
sounds cool though Ardour 4 Mixbus 4 kernel 4

Kind regards
Frank

Hi Frank, I want only say that the changes in kernel 4.0 is not so big like the number Big Grin And agree with you.
The feature that allows make updates without reboot is also good for me, becuase I working as administrator for some companies and 90% machines running debian Smile

BTW: Ardour 4 on nightly builds is now at version 4.0.0 without RC so maybe is final version?Big Grin

(04-16-2015, 10:03 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Relax guys... I am just taking linux kernel 4.0 as the starting point for a rock stable recording machine with all the today's self compiled technologies, then frozen at this stage. Think AVLinux and you know what I mean :-D

We relax...I guess Big Grin I hope that AV linux will not stay on 32bit kernel only. I understand that development cost lot of time and testing but it will be nice have new ardour, new mixbus and avlinux with 64bit kernel Big Grin Ideal combination Big Grin
Mixbus 2.5+3.x+4.x / Mixbus32c 3.x+4.x / Ubuntu 17.10 Linux & Windows 7 & macOS 10.13 High Sierra / i7@4Ghz 16G RAM / RME Digi 9652 & RME HDSPe RayDAT / Icon QCon Pro + QCon Ex / Mackie 32*8