Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few gripes with V8
Just installed V8 to check out clips and cues.

1. I tried to record arm a track with my FaderPort classic. and V8 crashed. I tried again, same thing. When I did it by mouse click it works fine. No problem with FaderPort classic in V7, so what happened?

2. Its all good that we can run different versions separately, but why make the default project folder the same? When I opened my V7 project in V8 it renamed my V7 project and basically "stole it". 
After above mentioned crash I said to myself, well, no surprises here, and went back to 7, only to find my project was gone. 
How good of Harrison to inform me that it had renamed my V7 project so I could restore it. 

If you're gonna brag about the ability to run separate versions, you could at least make sure they get separate default project folders, so as not to cause conflicts. 
But then again, what's with the new formats every other version???
I had the same Faderport crash moments after I posted about the lack of midi input. Didn't happen again but interesting that it happened to you, so obviously it will happen again!
(04-01-2022, 10:49 AM)Bejcon Wrote: Just installed V8 to check out clips and cues.

2. Its all good that we can run different versions separately, but why make the default project folder the same? When I opened my V7 project in V8 it renamed my V7 project and basically "stole it". 
After above mentioned crash I said to myself, well, no surprises here, and went back to 7, only to find my project was gone. 
How good of Harrison to inform me that it had renamed my V7 project so I could restore it. 

If you're gonna brag about the ability to run separate versions, you could at least make sure they get separate default project folders, so as not to cause conflicts. 

Amateurs!!

When you installed v8 it would have asked if you wanted to carry over the preferences from v7 which is what it appears you have done.
If you want v8 to reference the v7 folders then all good, if not you should go Preferences / General / Default Folder and create a new path for v8 sessions.
https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...ces-window

Just re-tested opening a v7 session in v8 and the process works fine for me.
Look for the session_name-6000.ardour file if you want to re-open in v7
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(04-01-2022, 05:47 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 10:49 AM)Bejcon Wrote: Just installed V8 to check out clips and cues.

Amateurs!!

When you installed v8 it would have asked if you wanted to carry over the preferences from v7 which is what it appears you have done.
If you want v8 to reference the v7 folders then all good, if not you should go Preferences / General / Default Folder and create a new path for v8 sessions.
https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...ces-window

Just re-tested opening a v7 session in v8 and the process works fine for me.
Look for the session_name-6000.ardour file if you want to re-open in v7

Yes, v8 did ask me, hence my comment on Harrison informing me. 
My point is, I shouldn’t have to go in to settings and do these things by default.  I shouldn’t have to rename a project to reopen it in older version again. I shouldn’t have to change project paths to keep integrity between two versions. This is just amateurish coding in my opinion.
To keep integrity between (Mixbus)versions, Mixbus should create separate project folders for each version, in particular when the format changes. It could then import older projects to the new version’s project folder without screwing up the older version.
Yes, this would give you duplicates, but that’s what you get for changing project formats every now and then. 
I’ve seen this in other daws as well, but not nearly as often as in Mixbus. And it did not rename the old project to have it go missing in the old version.  It simply asked you to rename the project for the new version.

And another thing that was slightly weird is that I had to rescan my plugins for the new version.
I did like the import of settings though. But it seems it can be improved.
Another thing I forget to mention.
Regarding Softube plugins, why do Mixbus V8 tell me it can’t find ILok licenses?
I actually had to login to ILok and restart Mixbus to make it go away.
Do Mixbus actually demand that I login to ILok?  That’s really weird if that’s the case.
Funny though how it only affected Softube plugins in ILok.
Looks like we have won a new professional software developer. Finally! All that amateurish code over the recent decade!
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(04-02-2022, 08:17 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Looks like we have won a new professional software developer. Finally! All that amateurish code over the recent decade!
MMM

You’re such a nice fella, as always. Never in the least condescending.  You always know best.
Good to have a friend like you so I don’t have to have an opinion of my own at all without being judged.

Must be wonderful being you.

And yes, developing software that forces you to go into the file system to manage the projects created within said software is amateurish, or in the least not developed with the end user in mind.
I shouldn’t have to except to be a computer engineer in order to create music.

Oh, and yes, I am a professional software developer. It is what I do for a living.
(04-02-2022, 12:37 PM)Bejcon Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 08:17 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Looks like we have won a new professional software developer. Finally! All that amateurish code over the recent decade!
MMM

Oh, and yes, I am a professional software developer. It is what I do for a living.

That's perfect mate. So we can expect useful advice in future, replacing the rants.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Quote:I am a professional software developer. It is what I do for a living.
And you struggle with backing up your Project folder? Sorry to hear.

I like the way it is handled by Harrison because I don't have to care about anything other than continuing to work with the new version.
If something would go wrong I'd grab a backup. Easy.

And btw.:
As professionals, how do we handle .0 versions after an upgrade?
Right, we either don't care at all or we play along with it on safe projects.

Quote:Do Mixbus actually demand that I login to ILok? That’s really weird if that’s the case.
No. Also my Softube PlugIns were running without any iLok logins.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
(04-03-2022, 05:05 AM)Stephan S Wrote:
Quote:I am a professional software developer. It is what I do for a living.
And you struggle with backing up your Project folder? Sorry to hear.

I like the way it is handled by Harrison because I don't have to care about anything other than continuing to work with the new version.
If something would go wrong I'd grab a backup. Easy.

And btw.:
As professionals, how do we handle .0 versions after an upgrade?
Right, we either don't care at all or we play along with it on safe projects.

Quote:Do Mixbus actually demand that I login to ILok? That’s really weird if that’s the case.
No. Also my Softube PlugIns were running without any iLok logins.

You obliviously missed the point completely.