Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few gripes with V8
Yes and no...
People are able to collect pictures, videos etc in project folders, create Powerpoints and Word documents with it, print PDFs and publish on Sharepoint... Mixbus is no different, it's a folder containing files. Like many other DAWs, only that other vendors spin some myth around it and don't encourage people to dig into it and train people to  "omg never ever touch it" behaviour. I don't know your age, but for me once Norton Commander was the paramount of convenience...
Yes there are people who will struggle, these are the ones who will also struggle with the other tasks above. I meet some of them every day at my day job... but am able to talk them through via phone most of the times. What I want to say is that things can be learned and actually nobody needs to read XML files, knowing that we have nondestructive editing and that we can open files ending with .ardour with Mixbus without destroying anything is all. That should take away the fear of experimenting. Plus having backups, of course. The manual is very good at explaining this.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(04-04-2022, 06:45 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Yes and no...
People are able to collect pictures, videos etc in project folders, create Powerpoints and Word documents with it, print PDFs and publish on Sharepoint... Mixbus is no different, it's a folder containing files. Like many other DAWs, only that other vendors spin some myth around it and don't encourage people to dig into it and train people to  "omg never ever touch it" behaviour. I don't know your age, but for me once Norton Commander was the paramount of convenience...
Yes there are people who will struggle, these are the ones who will also struggle with the other tasks above. I meet some of them every day at my day job... but am able to talk them through via phone most of the times. What I want to say is that things can be learned and actually nobody needs to read XML files, knowing that we have nondestructive editing and that we can open files ending with .ardour with Mixbus without destroying anything is all. That should take away the fear of experimenting. Plus having backups, of course. The manual is very good at explaining this.

MMM

People are able to do these things, yes. But who does it, and how?
Collecting pictures and videos. That all happens in the phone and on social media. Theres no such thing as a file system in those worlds, at least not to the end user. Its all conveniently there in a tiny square on their phone desktops.
As for working with MS-Office files, or using share point, thats a different user. Mainly people at work. They work with these programs everyday. And none of these programs will rename old files and stop you from opening them in older versions. 
Remember .doc vs .docx? You could open an old .doc file in... Word 2013 was it?... And if you saved it the file would be converted to the new format. But if you didnt the old format would remain. And you were amptly warned about this. 
So, pretty far from what Mixbus does currently. not to mention the ability to "save as" to keep both files. with Mixbus I cant open old format files without converting them first. And while at it, such notification pop-up warnings really should be center screen. And while on the UI, I often work in fullscreen mode with mixbus. pretty nice. But if I open preferences from there, that window goes fullscreen too. why?

Yes, I remember sweet old NC Smile  It was a beauty. Also used midnight commander i think.
Viewing and opening folders and files are basic skills which are expected from everyone using computers.
Every apprentice learns for four years how to use their tools, same can be expected from someone using analogue gear - or computers - to produce audio. Why do some people insist that a computer is less complex to use than an electric drill?
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Having Sluggish Graphics issue 32C V8

5,1 MacPro /12 Core/ Mojave 10.14.6 with Metal Compatible Vid Card.

32C 7 x86 version working fine.  

Anyone experiencing this? 
Thanks
@imajon:

I have a 2012-era macbook pro that is affected with the 'sluggish graphics' issue.

In the past we had some older mac machines in our build-farm which used older compilers and libraries and could make packages for those older macs. Unfortunately it is no longer practical to build Mixbus on those machines because we have added some c++ features that were not available at that time (10+ years ago)

We delayed the inevitable as long as we could, but we reached a tipping point where the C++ language features we wanted to use, ARM (M1) compatibility, security features like signing+notarization, graphics support for plugins like Waves, and many smaller issues forced us to move our code to take advantage of the newer mac compilers and libraries.

The result is that some of our Mac users, with specific older hardware, will have a slower graphics display. That group includes 'me' so I do have some compassion for you!

Best,
-Ben
Ben's comment (above) highlights an issue that seems to be lost on some readers of this forum:
When faced with the decision whether to advance your product or maintain backward compatibility,
be that with previous versions of your product or the hardware/OS it has run on, advancing the product
is the option to follow. In particular, where Harrison (and certain Linux distros) claim that they can run
on older/legacy grade machines (and their claims are, generally, true), it may be the integration of other
3rd. party products that allow that to happen for only so long before the technology THEY use influences
users to move ahead with these newer tools (eg, plugins) at the expense of their current otherwise perfectly
functional DAW. This is one of the reasons why I currently run MB/MB32C on a set of Linux and Windows
computers. My Linux setup is rock-solid but I, occasionally, have to use Windows in order to run some Waves
(and other) plugins. Oh, and for the record (no pun intended), both of these setups are running on Dell laptops
that are over 12-years old (64-bit, quad i7's).
Cheers!
Patrick
(04-20-2022, 08:59 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @imajon:

I have a 2012-era macbook pro that is affected with the 'sluggish graphics' issue.

In the past we had some older mac machines in our build-farm which used older compilers and libraries and could make packages for those older macs.  Unfortunately it is no longer practical to build Mixbus on those machines because we have added some c++ features that were not available at that time (10+ years ago)

We delayed the inevitable as long as we could, but we reached a tipping point where the C++ language features we wanted to use, ARM (M1) compatibility, security features like signing+notarization, graphics support for plugins like Waves, and many smaller issues forced us to move our code to take advantage of the newer mac compilers and libraries.

The result is that some of our Mac users, with specific older hardware, will have a slower graphics display. That group includes 'me' so I do have some compassion for you!

Best,
-Ben
Ben
Thank you for responding. Have supported MixBus from the begining. If you could please, define "specific older hardware".  Vid Card was upgraded to required Metal Compatible Card. MacPro 5,1 is a Mojave compatable box with upgraded Video Card. Mixbus V8 is the only App having issue. I have many 64bit apps. M1 not backward compatable for Catalina and Mojave OS. What OS are you running on your Old 2012 Laptop that has Sluggish Graphic Issues? It should run Catalina which suggests it has a Metal Compatable Required Vid Card and run V8 fine.         

• 32C V8 OS version:  64 Bit, 10.10 or newer. Maybe that should be revised? There might be a patch for this issue. Will be looking into that. 
    Thank YouKurt
5,1 on Mojave here too. No issues with the latest versions- I have done many projects on V 2-6, I skipped 7. Not a serious job on V8 yet but it looks as stable as usual so far.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
Macmini 6,2 - i7 16G RAM running Mojave getting graphics stuttering with v7. Upgrade to Catalina cleared that issue...  v8 also running OK graphics.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5