Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will new XT series LV2 plugins be made anymore?
(10-31-2021, 09:52 PM)sunrat Wrote: Dynamic EQ!  Wink Cool

Good call, one of my favourite bits of outboard gear ever (apart from the Quantec QRS) was the DPR-901 a most fantastic dynamic EQ.
If I could have a DPR-901 as an XT or AVA plugin I would be a very happy camper.... over the moon if I could get a QRS to work again.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Hmm, interesting request.

We have a few kinds of dynamic-eq in our dsp archives. My favorite was called the "Crossover EQ" and the basic idea was that you had (2) 4-band EQs. One was applied when the signal was below a level threshold, and one was applied when the signal was above the threshold. This allows you to use it like a DPR-901, but it goes a little beyond that (like: when the signal goes over the threshold, put a notch at 2k, 4k and 8k)

If there's interest in a dynamic eq, I can resurrect that 'Crossover EQ' into an XT plugin.

-Ben
Please, Resurrect! That sounds so very useful.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Once again, it seems that the wishes of the users are being taken seriously. Great to read these conversations. I wait in my chamber excited for what will happen next. Maybe I’ll record a few songs at the same time.

p.s.

Please give me Dymamic eq Big Grin  (and more cowbell)
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

2 curves, switched by overall level, is a cool and straight forward idea.
However, and maybe I'm misunderstanding Ben, it wouldn't have the flexibility of dialing in dynamics per band. Which is one of the helpful things about a dynamic eq when used anywhere downstream of individual tracks (where the 2 curve method would work great IMO.) It's nice to be able to expand bits, compress other bits triggered by the level of that band instead of the whole overall level, at least on a bus. For me, Voxengo Gliss is a good example of a dynamic EQ that does what I need while maximizing the EQ part of the UI and minimizing the Dynamics part. This is a UI decision I also appreciate about the XT Multiband Comp, as most (even great) multiband compressors fill up the screen with the dynamics controls at the expense of the EQ part.

The only reason I'm jumping in to mention this is that introducing a dynamic eq with only the ability to respond to overall level and toggle between two curves - while it would be fast and simple on individual tracks - would miss out on the other half of use cases where dynamic EQ shines.
@Flagfoot: Some of our plugins (like the AVA Multiband Compressor, or to a lesser extent the XT-EG) have a sidechain filter that can be applied to the sidechain. So, for example, if you could use the sidechain filter to emphasize some part of the sidechain, and trigger the EQs on that, would it meet your needs?

-Ben
(11-01-2021, 08:23 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Hmm, interesting request.

If there's interest in a dynamic eq, I can resurrect that 'Crossover EQ' into an XT plugin.

-Ben

+1

A dynamic EQ would be great. I do not use it often, but it's very handy to have it under the fingertips when needed.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(11-01-2021, 02:51 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Flagfoot:  Some of our plugins (like the AVA Multiband Compressor, or to a lesser extent the XT-EG) have a sidechain filter that can be applied to the sidechain.  So, for example, if you could use the sidechain filter to emphasize some part of the sidechain, and trigger the EQs on that, would it meet your needs?

-Ben

Ben, sorry for the delay.

Just got the notification about XT-CC & 32C v7.2 which has this feature you mention. Nice!

That wouldn't meet my needs, but that's ok. No pressure. I only wrote out those thoughts to say that if you were to release the dynamic EQ you mentioned, it may only meet 50% of the use cases of a dynamic EQ for some users. For me, I enjoy the ability of a dynamic eq to start like a static eq, then be able to compress (or expand!) individual peaks/dips/shelves.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I may have misunderstood your description of its features.
@Ben@Harrison

Thanks for this new XT-CC plugin. I'm really happy. And thanks for the new MB 32C version. Things are moving seriously in a good direction.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

@Flagfoot: I think I know what you mean, and yes you can do that. You leave one of the EQ's 'flat' to get what you want. There's one EQ above the threshold, and another EQ below the threshold. So to 'compress' you can draw a curve in the above-thresh EQ; and to 'expand' you can draw a curve in the below-thresh EQ. And then the sidechain EQ (like the one in the XT-CC) can focus the effect on the desired range. So for example: if you want to de-harsh something, you would set the sidechain EQ to focus on the harsh range, and then you would put a dip in the above-threshold EQ around that same range.

@Sojuzstudio; thanks for the nice comments!! Every new plugin is my 'favorite' for a while, but this XT-CC is likely to have serious staying power because it has a lot of our best dsp concepts baked into it.

-Ben