Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Available Record Time / Disc Space Warning
Could there please be the option of some kind of bold visual warning when disc space is about to run out? Like 5 Minutes before HD Space is gone everything starts to blink in red or some huge pop-up appears?
(i don't want to go into details why i'm asking for this  Angel )
Right click on the top area of MB ui (near log indicator) you can choose to display disk space as well as path etc.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(07-16-2021, 06:34 PM)Dingo Wrote: Right click on the top area of MB ui (near log indicator) you can choose to display disk space as well as path etc.

Yes, I know/use this.
But (e.g. in my case when take along live recordings while doing FOH Sound) this can easily be missed and the Pop-Up when the disc is full und the recording just stopped is too late, hence the pre-warning request.
Checking if there is enough disk space before starting to record is what I do and the simplest solution. When doing a live recording, allow 700MB per track per hour at 24 bit 48kHz.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(07-16-2021, 08:39 PM)sunrat Wrote: Checking if there is enough disk space before starting to record is what I do and the simplest solution. When doing a live recording, allow 700MB per track per hour at 24 bit 48kHz.

Smile 
My co-worker and I were joking before how long it will take until this is suggested!
Cars show the remaining range, too, and still there is an extra warning lamp when you're about to run out of gas. And I guess there's a story behind why this is standard in all cars.
What can got wrong will go wrong.
But I think if a couple lines of code helps to get jobs done safely and stress-free this would be a very Harrison-like thing to offer...
(07-18-2021, 12:51 AM)Lars Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 08:39 PM)sunrat Wrote: Checking if there is enough disk space before starting to record is what I do and the simplest solution. When doing a live recording, allow 700MB per track per hour at 24 bit 48kHz.

Smile 
My co-worker and I were joking before how long it will take until this is suggested!
Cars show the remaining range, too, and still there is an extra warning lamp when you're about to run out of gas. And I guess there's a story behind why this is standard in all cars.
What can got wrong will go wrong.
But I think if a couple lines of code helps to get jobs done safely and stress-free this would be a very Harrison-like thing to offer...

What's more interesting: what are you doing in a live situation while running the show and you get the warning: "only 5 minutes of recording left"?
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(07-16-2021, 07:05 PM)Lars Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 06:34 PM)Dingo Wrote: Right click on the top area of MB ui (near log indicator) you can choose to display disk space as well as path etc.

Yes, I know/use this.
But (e.g. in my case when take along live recordings while doing FOH Sound) this can easily be missed 

Does anyone even know what it's measuring? On my system I've never seen it say anything other than Rec: > 24h

So is that all the space available on all drives? Or just drive(s) associated with the current session? Or is it the space for my main Mixbus drive (e.g. C: for Windows)?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Please don't take this as a nasty dig on the above postee - - -
In the "old days" one might prepare for a live show by making sure they had enough tape for the performance.
And, the "seasoned recording engineer" might even bring along TWICE the amount needed - just in case there
was an issue with one of the other spools... AND an extra take-up reel for a fast swap-out mid-spool.
Now that we've gone to disk one of the first things I check - every session - is if I have enough disk space
available to run 2-3 sessions. I don't understand how someone would be caught by surprise on this detail in this day.
Just expressing amazement.

Cheers!
Patrick
(07-18-2021, 08:30 AM)johne53 Wrote: Does anyone even know what it's measuring? On my system I've never seen it say anything other than Rec: > 24h

So is that all the space available on all drives? Or just drive(s) associated with the current session? Or is it the space for my main Mixbus drive (e.g. C: for Windows)?
It measures the capacity of the drive your project is created in by the number of armed tracks at the sample frequency of the session.
Try creating a session on a thumb drive and you will quickly see the counter drop down.

Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(07-18-2021, 09:02 PM)Dingo Wrote: It measures the capacity of the drive your project is created in by the number of armed tracks at the sample frequency of the session.

Ah, you're right... I only see > 24h if I've no tracks armed!!  Blush

Maybe the printout could change to green if there are any tracks armed and then switch to red once the figure drops below a couple of hours?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!