Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Available Record Time / Disc Space Warning
Lars

your question . and your following responses look like an application of a FOH sweeper to me.

How many ques do you want to miss while checking the screen of your laptop  for  if it i still running? diskspace or whatever

You must have a good insurance to put a laptop on the FOH position...    But the thief will not bring the recordings

I would wipe this discussion,  before the people of your organization sees this and decide you might be good at sweeping

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(07-19-2021, 07:32 AM)Frank Wrote: How many ques do you want to miss while checking the screen of your laptop  for  if it i still running? diskspace or whatever

But isn't that precisely what Lars is asking? Instead of him having to constantly check, he's asking for Mixbus to generate a very obvious warning.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(07-21-2021, 01:31 AM)johne53 Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 07:32 AM)Frank Wrote: How many ques do you want to miss while checking the screen of your laptop  for  if it i still running? diskspace or whatever

But isn't that precisely what Lars is asking? Instead of him having to constantly check, he's asking for Mixbus to generate a very obvious warning.

I think what Frank means is that if you get a very obvious warning it is already too late. What are you going to do, stop mixing and start a new session on another drive? You will possibly miss cues for your live mix and there is no way to not miss recording some of the performance.
The only way is to ensure you have sufficient disk space before starting the recording.
I've done a lot of live recordings and tend to have the recording screen at the side out of line-of-sight to the stage and just glance occasionally. Some I recall in particular were 4 shows with Peter Hook & The Light which were 3 hour shows of 30 channels. I had hundreds of GB free and they ended up taking about 150GB. No problem, every second recorded successfully.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

And than what : stop the show?? Like MMM said.

A qualified engineer will take care that it cannot happen

A qualified engineer takes care he can have full concentration on the show, so no laptops (To see or loose or in the way) 
No friends girlfriends behind the desks

Typical OS function like diskspace do not belong in a daw..

Kind regards

frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 

I'm still wondering what he would do if the highly visible warning: "5 minutes left" comes up. Ok, under Linux when you know what you do, you could add space to the logical volume on the fly, you might make it in 5 minutes but these 5 minutes you will be busy with that instead of running the show.
You could start a session on another laptop and hope plugging the interface over to that works without fail - something I wouldn't want to do in a live situation either. Or you could plug in another USB medium, stop the session, make a new one on the new medium and hope the template is correct (you haven't made any changes in the current session) - again I wouldn't want to do this live and anyway, external Terabyte drives are cheap these days, plug a fresh one in before the session start the session at sound check (=extra material for fun) thus make sure everything is working as intended and then keep your grubby little fingers off the recorder.

You can do do the maths:

sample rate in Hz * bitdpepth in bit/8 * time in sec  / 1024^2  * number of tracks = space in Mebibyte (binary, 2^10 based)
or
sample rate in kHz * bitdepth/8 * time in sec /1000 * number of tracks = space in Megabyte (decimal, 10^3 based)

Or use some online clicky tool like this:

https://www.colincrawley.com/audio-file-...alculator/

In case #2 you need to verify the tool first if it calculates correctly.

So, a show of 2h with 16 tracks at 44.1kHz/24bit  should use around 15GB space, so if you pack a fast fresh 64GB USB stick you're good to go with roughly 4 times of what you need, so they can call a number of curtains without making you sweat. The tranfer rate is around 16MBit which can be done even with an USB2 stick.

Just saying...
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(07-21-2021, 04:10 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: I'm still wondering what he would do if the highly visible warning: "5 minutes left" comes up. Ok, under Linux when you know what you do, you could add space to the logical volume on the fly, you might make it in 5 minutes but these 5 minutes you will be busy with that instead of running the show.

Yes - 5 minutes is too late to do anything anyway...
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
The thing that comes out of this thread is to prepare everything and know your tools.
Years ago I worked as Sync systems on a multi camera (film) and 24 track live recording of a Cabaret show.
The sound guys thought of everything (almost), they had two Otari 24 track recorders so they could do changeovers.
With 10 minutes of showtime left I went out to see how the recording van was going. There I saw something that made my heart stop.
The Master record light was on but there where 48 flashing red indicators that told me both machines where in Safe mode and nothing was going down on tape.
Sometimes even a big flashing light won't make any difference.
Research read the manual and test before you start.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
So cute Max

lot of work for a problem which does not exist...

And now if you think modern

Extra disk add to the ZFS pool

And with AVB no plugging, just send the streams to another device

With flash drives : plug in two, as a mirror

Just thinking 16 channels? just a piano ?

have a giant schnitsel

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

(07-21-2021, 04:31 AM)Dingo Wrote: The thing that comes out of this thread is to prepare everything and know your tools.
Years ago I worked as Sync systems on a multi camera (film) and 24 track live recording of a Cabaret show.
The sound guys thought of everything (almost), they had two Otari 24 track recorders so they could do changeovers.
With 10 minutes of showtime left I went out to see how the recording van was going. There I saw something that made my heart stop.
The Master record light was on but there where 48 flashing red indicators that told me both machines where in Safe mode and nothing was going down on tape.
Sometimes even a big flashing light won't make any difference.
Research read the manual and test before you start.

we always recorded the soundcheck :  so we have th levels correct and acheck recordings before the show starts

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

(07-21-2021, 04:50 AM)Frank Wrote: have a giant schnitsel

Not giant, but Schnitzel, in 10 minutes or 100MB stereo in CD quality, dinner time Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths