Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sloooooow startup (32c v7-Win10)
Hi, Mixbus has always been on the slow side when launching, but since I upgraded to v7 it takes 1 minute 3O secs of nothing between the moment I click on the shortcut and the moment the session config dialog pops up. From then on it's still loading slowly,  but it's bearable. This is on Windows 10. Everything up to date, only fully licenced software on my PC.

Any advice? Am I the only one with this issue?

Thanks many
Dirk
Is your anti-virus software scanning everything that MB is opening up?
Best to scan all your MB session files before you start the session then turn anti-virus software off
while you're running your session.

Cheers!
Patrick
7 seconds. Current MixBus 32c v 7 and Win 10. Same time for Versions 3 thru 6.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(07-16-2021, 07:46 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Is your anti-virus software scanning everything that MB is opening up?
Best to scan all your MB session files before you start the session then turn anti-virus software off

Cheers!
Patrick

Hi, thanks, yes I should have thought of AV scanning, thanks for reminding me. Scanning all my session files before opening the session is even more cumbersome though, and turning off AV altogether is a bit scary. So I added the Mixbus 7 folder to the AV softwares' exception list, and now starting up in 18 seconds. Much better! II think that's quite safe, I just need to remember to remove the exception when upgrading Mixbus, to remain on the safe side of things.

I checked what happens during those 18 seconds and found that the culprit is a file named gl.dls that Mixbus accesses for the whole of those 18 seconds. It's the General Midi sound library. I don't need this at all. Can I prevent Mixbus to try to load General Midi at alll?

Thanks,
Dirk
Click on MB icon and opening dialogue takes 2 ceconds on my win7/64
Opening a VST- and track-loaded session takes about 30-40 cec, it is normal, since a lot data have to be handled.

Win10? I have my opinion, cleared form my PC in 10 minutes some years ago and never want to see againSmile

CPU Unpark is a fine way to improve performance, because all the cores are ready at once to use and not depended on what windows is going to decideSmile
I have been using it from the start
latest version is here
https://www.filehorse.com/download-unpark-cpu/

"Start10.." brings back the win7 look and maye do not load all the useless shit from win10....
https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
My results are similar to Tassy's - maybe 25-30 seconds to load a session with plugins, compared to 10-12 seconds if no plugins.

And I agree that Win10 was utterly dire in its early days - esp. Microsoft Edge which had a habit of taking over your desktop and not letting you see anything else!! But to be fair to Microsoft, they've done a good job of addressing the various problems (and of course there's Windows 11 available now, which is apparently nicer looking...)

But as Tassy says, you can improve Win10 hugely by using the Stardock products. I use Start10 and also WindowBlinds. Between them they create a much nicer look & feel.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(07-17-2021, 12:45 AM)Dirk Offringa Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 07:46 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Is your anti-virus software scanning everything that MB is opening up?

Cheers!
Patrick

Hi, thanks, yes I should have thought of AV scanning, thanks for reminding me. Scanning all my session files before opening the session is even more cumbersome though, and turning off AV altogether is a bit scary. So I added the Mixbus 7 folder to the AV softwares' exception list, and now starting up in 18 seconds. Much better! II think that's quite safe, I just need to remember to remove the exception when upgrading Mixbus, to remain on the safe side of things.

I checked what happens during those 18 seconds and found that the culprit is a file named gl.dls that Mixbus accesses for the whole of those 18 seconds. It's the General Midi sound library. I don't need this at all. Can I prevent Mixbus to try to load General Midi at alll?

Thanks,
Dirk
Hi, just to let you know that the latest 7.2.0 release fixed the issue. That was a wonderful surprise, I went from several minutes from boot to session load complete, to a couple of seconds. A spectacular improvement. Thanks for having adressed this!

Cheers
Dirk
I suffer from this kind of behavior and have been since v6. I am on v7, and am hesitant to upgrade to 8 due to my issue.
I do work on a super spec'd out lenovo laptop (P1 series w/ Xeon processor). I have done all the Win10 tweaks recommended on various recording sites, but nothing has helped.
Is this due to some sort of scanning MB itself does? I have no AV or background software running.
Anyone have a laptop and been able to solve this issue? Had an email exchange with Harrison some time ago which did not really help much.
Big thanks!
Since my last message, I did some more hunting and something that might have been pretty obvious, but I overlooked, was removing V6 config folder from LocalApps location. This cut my 2 minute 30 second wait to open the program to about 30 seconds. Not perfect but much better. Still trying to determine why my desktop 32C opens in seconds and my laptop takes quite a bit longer.
Hope this helps someone.