Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Select layer on multiple tracks
Hi,

Is there a way to 'Choose Top' for all selected tracks or regions. Can't find it in the manual and am having a heck of a time comparing stacked drum takes over 14 tracks. 

Thanks
Crickets..
(05-22-2021, 06:54 PM)JB Berg Wrote: Crickets..

All I can add at this point is that I'd be very much interested in knowing the answer to your initial question!  Smile
Mixbus/32C 5.3.22, 6.2.407 and 7.1.92 on Manjaro midtower i5-6600K 3.5GHz and Manjaro or LibraZik3 on Lenovo X250 i5
Mixbus 5.3.22 and 6.2.407 on Win10x64/Lenovo T40 i7 and X250 i5
audiocards: Scarlett 2i4, Tascam US4x4HR
(05-23-2021, 03:22 AM)Harvey Stuart Wrote:
(05-22-2021, 06:54 PM)JB Berg Wrote: Crickets..

All I can add at this point is that I'd be very much interested in knowing the answer to your initial question!  Smile

Only way I see it now is to export/import the bus for each take and compare those.
You could fan each take of each drum onto discreet tracks, then make 14 groups, corresponding to each take’s drum set. I mean, I’d bring a pot if coffee and some food with me and buy a superwide monitor first, but that is how I have done multiple guitar takes that had multiple mics for each pass. Each mic got a track then I did what I described above.
(05-26-2021, 01:12 PM)Clint Wrote: You could fan each take of each drum onto discreet tracks, then make 14 groups, corresponding to each take’s drum set.  I mean, I’d bring a pot if coffee and some food with me and buy a superwide monitor first, but that is how I have done multiple guitar takes that had multiple mics for each pass.  Each mic got a track then I did what I described above.

This does not sound compatible with my ADD but I'm sure it's possible. 
Strangely, just noticed it is possible to A-B takes in a group with two tracks.
I'm thinking that it would be nice to be able to:
1) select a group of tracks, such as all current 14 drum tracks
2) Right click or Hot-key an option - "Scroll Layered Takes"
This would allow you to compare (view and play), say, just your Snare takes or whole drum set takes
I should offer that I've used Clint's method to date for the following reasons:
1) "My drummers", because they are remotely based, provide me with their own tracks
2) Each drummer records multiple mic'd tracks - one drummer records a 13-mic setup.
3) Every "take" is another separate batch of new tracks - 4 takes means 52-tracks for my 13-mic drummer.

We've taken this approach because very few novice engineers (and these drummers are novice engineers!) can effectively navigate
a layered take method; brute force new takes works out best for them. What's more, they can use different combinations of MUTE
to select any combination of tracks they want to combine or compare. They all can, usually, work this method at their end.

But, for the more sophisticated users among us, I would definitely welcome a more convenient way to scroll through a group
of layered tracks.

Cheers!
Patrick
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but using the Audition function (select any region in any layer and type "a") you can select individual layers on multiple tracks at the same time and audition them (hear how they sound together) without having to move them to the top.

This is the way I review takes: just click on one and type a. Doesn't matter where it is in the take stack. And with Audition, you can select for example Take 5 on Track 1 and Take 15 on Track 2, Take 2 on Track 3, etc. and see how they sound together, all without having to move any takes to the top.
(05-27-2021, 12:28 PM)bjohnh Wrote: I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but using the Audition function (select any region in any layer and type "a") you can select individual layers on multiple tracks at the same time and audition them (hear how they sound together) without having to move them to the top.

This is the way I review takes: just click on one and type a. Doesn't matter where it is in the take stack. And with Audition, you can select for example Take 5 on Track 1 and Take 15 on Track 2, Take 2 on Track 3, etc. and see how they sound together, all without having to move any takes to the top.

Hi, thanks for the tip. Had not considered using Audition this way since I thought only plays the one track that is chosen. Took me a few tries to realise that I need to command click on the individual takes. It does help a little but is not really a way to A-B several complete takes. I think one of the problems is also that there are punch in's on some of the takes and that makes it impossible to 'choose top' for those on the fly.