Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master output only left channel Routing?
Hi I am using Adobe Audition on the latest Mac OS every day and had no issue so far (eccept that they are changing the layout every time you update and you will not find any function you used before, but that has nothing to do with panning)
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Arthie - does Adobe Audition allow you to run with the MacBook Pro's internal audio? Or is that when using your external sound interface? As far as we know this only affects the internal audio.

My pet theory was that it might only affect Macs that have just 1 x internal speaker - although there's some evidence it'll work for some users.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
hm, didn't try my internal interface in audition, but in Nuendo it works fine. will give it a go as far as time allows it.
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
@johne53... I would like to push my pet theory... which is the inverse.

I have a feeling it occurs with macOS because of two reasons.

1. Mac never provided a 'true' synchronised I/O and early Mixbus required the creation of an Aggregate device or to use JACK.
Quote from manual:
Prior versions of Mixbus required that you create an “Aggregate” device to combine the internal soundcard input and output into a single device. Mixbus v3, and newer, provide a method to select separate input and output devices without making an aggregate device; Mac will create an invisible “aggregate” for you.

2. Most Mac internal devices consist of a mono input and a Stereo output.
Quote from Apple guides...
If your Mac has only one sound port, it may have a headphones icon Audio output port icon or no icon at all. This sound port supports stereo output and mono input (such as a headset with a built-in microphone).

So my theory is that MB is having issues with Core audio because of the way a pseudo aggregate device is being created.
I have this issue also when using an OWC TB3 Dock which has mono in and stereo out.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Hi @Dingo - I've just been testing this here on my Mac Pro (albeit using Windows 10) and it's quite interesting...

1) Jack will only give me audio if I select PortAudio and ASIO - and it won't pan anything to the RHS, no matter which settings I use.
2) If I switch MB to use PortAudio directly (i.e. eliminating Jack) the ASIO driver gives no audio if panned to the RHS. But the other available drivers (MME and Windows DirectSound) both work as expected.

So ordinarily I'd assume this must be an issue with ASIO - but AFAIK ASIO isn't needed for either MacOS or Linux (both of which are currently broken too with regards to panning). It's all very confusing... Huh

@arthie - you mentioned panning works fine in Nuendo - is that with your MacBook Pro and CoreAudio?
I just installed MB32C here on MacOS, hoping to test the panning but the font size is absolutely tiny on my monitor. In Windows, I've a Size & Scale option under Preferences->Appearance but although I've the same page available in MacOS, it seems to offer hardly any settings (and none that I can adjust...)

What am I missing? Surely it's possible to set Mixbus's font size on a Mac  Huh
FWIW I just noticed an option here to adjust the Mixer Strip Scale. It works by adjusting the control sizes for channels & groups. My text size is so small that I hadn't seen it!! Unfortunately, it doesn't improve the text size issue  Sad

I've definitely used previous MB versions on MacOS (though admittedly they'd have been non-32C) and I don't recall seeing this problem before... Surely there's a way to adjust Mixbus's text & font scaling on a Mac  Huh
@johne53... AFAIK macOS is not able to adjust individual application text and font. Adjusting the monitor scale might do what you want.
System Preferences / Displays - Scaled ~ might give you some enlargement options.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Many thanks @Dingo - this morning I uninstalled and re-installed and MB text is now about 70% of the size of my MacOS text (previously it was nearer 40%). I'll try a few more experiments but at least it's readable now...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well I can't get the font situation any better but from what we know now, the panning issue is almost certainly a problem with aggregate devices. It seems that some audio drivers support aggregation and others don't - and it's not always the ones you might think:-

1) Surprisingly (on Mojave at least) the CoreAudio driver doesn't seem to support aggregation
2) Windows DirectSound and Windows MME support it but ASIO doesn't
3) On Linux, neither ALSA nor PulseAudio support it

I suppose 2) and 3) are understandable - given that Windows and Linux won't often be running on Mac hardware...