Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The XT-SC Spectral Compressor - Excellent!
(01-23-2020, 11:45 PM)Jake Johnson Wrote: So...Does anyone know of a hardware multi-freq compressor that can do what the XT-SC does for live sound in a club?

It's the usual problem that I need to solve--the lead vocal and harmonies get lost in the din. It would be great to have a hardware equivalent for the XT-SC.

The Google search: "hardware multi-band compressor" shows up a ton of them, but they are very expensive. This is what I do:

I do occasionally mix clubs and other venues for an artist where backing tracks (in mono) are played from Mixbus32C and the vocals go live. We almost always bring a mixer with us and gives the FOH one XLR and we take care of the monitoring. For this setup, I normally use inexpensive mixers from Behringer or Mackie that have one knob compressors and that's more than sufficient for us. I also use the computer for reverberation (U-he's Uhbik-A) and we always receive nice words for great sound when this artist is on stage, maybe we wouldn't if they knew how we are doing it.

In the last gig, I used a Mackie 802-VLZ3 and I connected a Marshall ED-1 guitar compressor on the Mic insert point, it worked very well!

The Mackie 802-VLZ3 is less than ideal for this stuff, but thanks to the AUX-sends, patching insert points halfway down (splitting signal), I managed to give the artist his own monitoring (own version of the backing track and his voice) and give the audience their part, but this was a quite extreme situation.

If you have a good laptop and the latency is short enough, you might be able to route the vocals through it and the XT-SC?
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox

Messages In This Thread
RE: The XT-SC Spectral Compressor - Excellent! - by Jostein - 01-24-2020, 01:58 AM