Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a distro: what does Harrison recommend??
(06-23-2023, 01:12 AM)pavianaudio Wrote:
(06-22-2023, 03:27 AM)sunrat Wrote:
(06-22-2023, 02:31 AM)Dingo Wrote: But the majority of audio plugins and apps are found in the Mac/win worlds.

That's true in terms of quantity. Capitalists gotta capitalise! It's as much a curse as a blessing.
I started on Windows and used a bunch of Waves etc. Recently on Linux I have used WINE and similar to run Win plugins, but over time have used less and less, and many newer Linux plugins have been released which are worthy replacements. If I build a new system I will likely use only Linux plugins. One in particular is amazing - Auburn Sounds Lens, a little like Harrison's XT-SC but with 64 bands, sidechain EQ, expander, and more. It has Win and Mac versions too.

Sorry for my irrelevant reaction ( Out of thread ), but I had very interested for your tip with plugin Auburn Sounds Lens. I am using Linux (AVlinux MX) with Mixbus 32C, and XT harrison plugins, some Audioassault plugins, TDR plug with wine. Have you some others good tips for linux plugins?

Plugins for Linux i use all the time:

https://tal-software.com/
https://www.audiodamage.com/
https://audioassault.mx/
https://acmt.co.uk/
https://lsp-plug.in/
https://www.auburnsounds.com/
https://ugritone.com/

Avlinux MXE includes hundreds of plugins pre installed. So there is more than you need. And with Mixbus  you don't need all those waves, plugin alliance and UAD that are advertised all over the web. You need good song ideas and peace to do. And Linux, at least for me, is that peace. Once it works, it always works unless you break it yourself.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(06-23-2023, 01:12 AM)pavianaudio Wrote: Have you some others good tips for linux plugins?

Not linux-specific, since you can handle VSTs, "Analog Obsession",  "Variety of Sound", and "NaLex" make good stuff (all free, but give generously).  Check out the other TDR products.  ACMT Applied Computer Music Technologies is good (and Linux).  Voxengo SPAN is great.  I don't believe you can trial a full Auburn Lens, but the free version (just) disables the expander.   Big button for the free edition right next to the paid edition on the Lens page.

I hear good things about Chow Tape Model, but both the VST and the Linux VST wreck the daw for me Sad
Hi All
Notice quite a lot of neg stuff here re Ubuntu Studio.
Been using it for years along with MB and Ardour.
Apart from no Wine it seems fine for a studio.
Most of my hassles have been self inflicted.
Cheers Bob
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 24.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.
--Thank you for this, been looking and asking for this for a while, not being a Linux guru I wanted to know what I could do with each one and how they could be used.

Which servers can I use for free in a business environment? i.e. i dont have to pay a licence for?

Thanx
(09-13-2023, 08:29 AM)wavesound Wrote: Hi All
Cheers Bob

"No Wine" is a feature in my eyes. Why would anyone compromise all the stability and performance advantages of Linux over Windows by introducing Windows-compiled VSTs, using some wobbly API crutch?
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(02-14-2024, 06:04 PM)krishtinski Wrote: --Thank you for this, been looking and asking for this for a while, not being a Linux guru I wanted to know what I could do with each one and how they could be used.

Which servers can I use for free in a business environment? i.e. i dont have to pay a licence for?

Thanx

Hello, krishtinski and welcome to the forum -

I hate to sound like a dck but...
If you are going to use an OS and DAW for business purposes,
then step up to the plate and BUY your tools. It's just the right thing to do.
Then, bitch-n-moan to your heart's content (with all of our blessings) if/when things give you issues.

Cheers!
Patrick
(02-19-2024, 08:33 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
Cheers Bob

"No Wine" is a feature in my eyes. Why would anyone compromise all the stability and performance advantages of Linux over Windows by introducing Windows-compiled VSTs, using some wobbly API crutch?
MMM
Hi I totally agree I have been trying to follow the SSL stuff with Mixbus but it seems as we don't use Ilok we cannot use it on Linux. Cheers
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 24.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.
(02-28-2024, 06:54 AM)wavesound Wrote:
Cheers Bob

MMM
Hi I totally agree I have been trying to follow the SSL stuff with Mixbus but it seems as we don't use Ilok we cannot use it on Linux. Cheers

Ummm...I thought we were still issued text based licenses for Linux use?
Has something changed there recently?

Cheers!
Patrick
(02-28-2024, 03:26 PM)PBuryk Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 06:54 AM)wavesound Wrote:
Cheers Bob

MMM

Ummm...I thought we were still issued text based licenses for Linux use?
Has something changed there recently?

Cheers!
Patrick

I think wavesound was referring to the bundled SSL plugins and to the "updated" AVA plugins.
The existing AVAs will still work as usual and future Linux versions of new AVAs should be, too - if nothing changes.

Cheers, MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths