Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iLok is coming
(09-20-2023, 02:44 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 02:24 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: And if you think about it the other way around, would there be a whole Mixbus without Ardour and Linux users? Would it be a Reaper-based tuning? If, over time, they had come to an agreement with Justin on common business patterns.
Yes Mixbus has a lot to thank Linux users for, but if demand stops then supply stops.

(09-20-2023, 02:24 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Linux is a force of nature, nothing can stop it.  There will be new options even when commercial companies go bankrupt.

With 3% of global systems being Linux I think you're wearing rose coloured glasses. Without commercial development Linux will remain a minor player.

Bit dated now and also very dry but this thesis about operating systems and 'fans' is an interesting read..

But if we turn off Linux all over the world now, what will change? Everything turns off. Let's go back to the Stone Age.

Of course, it is a small player in desktop use. But let's take it easy now.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(09-20-2023, 12:08 AM)Tassy Wrote: For example: input off (not showing) is not saved with the session.

Believe me, these old "little things" if fixed make Mixbus more desirable for users than new anythings....
Please, focus on those first.

Plus the fact that timecode numbers get printed in tiny green text - or more often, don't get printed at all:-

I've lost count of how many times I've reported this bug !
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Mixbus is constantly being prepared from the point of view of new customers only. There are even videos on Youtube of how some people are already painting an SSL version of it, where all channels are SSL. So apparently that's what some people want now. The old faithful group is thrown into the sea. The whole Ilok hustle is exactly that. Many things that were important to me will be destroyed. The devil got into the house, call the exorcist!

I hope to find a new home in the Ardour community.

I apologize for my direct speech, but the disappointment can no longer be contained.

+1
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
I have used Ardour a couple of times in the past and found that the sound engine has nothing in common with Mixbuss 32C. If there was, we would not be talking about it in this forum, would we? I’m still in v.7.2 32C, nothing for me in v.8 and I’m waiting for v.9.2 to bite the bullet for upgrading. I don’t like v.9 either but.. the demo is rock solid on an Intel Mac (except for the bugs). Crash free as a “finished” v.7 or v.8 should have been a long time ago! Which brings the question.. the v. 9.2 update will be iLok? Same question for the 32C Channel. I will upgrade to v. 9.2 for sentimental reasons only and that’s it. If not.. let us not waste any more time with SSL.
I will upgrade Mixbus and Mixbus32C as long as Linux versions are available and they are iLok-free. And if these prerequisites no longer exist, I will continue using Mixbus as long as possible on Linux - I see no reason to jump off the train at the moment.

It's true that's only a 3% market share of Linux users, but that does in fact mean millions of people - It's not without reason that an increasing number of vendors make Linux versions of their music products these days.

The only thing I miss is a Melodyne for Linux and perhaps a Linux version of the editing program for my Line6 Helix;  I use Windows on a Laptop for these purposes. I made music for a living for several years now and computer-wise, Linux is the foundation. So far that has been ok when I have cooperated with Mac and Windows users.

I have used Linux as my main OS since the last part of the 90s and see no reason to change that, every interaction with non-Linux users is getting easier all the time and I'm enjoying the freedom of not having those different lock-in  features, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to pay for my products. Most of my plugins are commercial products.

Everything changes sometimes and if I one day have to use another DAW than Mixbus32C, I will do it. That will be very sad, Mixbus32C is a fantastic DAW and tool, but the options are almost endless these days - even for a Linux user.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Interesting so far:

Quote:And if you think about it the other way around, would there be a whole Mixbus without Ardour and Linux users?
Quote:With 3% of global systems being Linux I think you're wearing rose coloured glasses. Without commercial development Linux will remain a minor player.

A few years ago, Linux/OSS enthusiasts warned against porting accomplished OSS applications to Windows/Mac, because the respective users would take it and couldn't care less if the initial (Linux) platform is robbed of them one day.
Others said: No it is good and will lead to many users think about changing platform alltogether, and vendors will follow.

Now read the two citations above again and find out which of the mentioned groups had it right. I must confess, I had the rose glasses on and believed porting OSS to other platforms would change thinking. Turns out, the real "I want all for nothing and don't care about others" are not (only) Linux users, thus killing one of the "killer arguments" against Linux.

A great model of a possible paradigm change and a collab between OSS and commercial software is dying through the buyout. I predict the next major version of Mixbus 32C will be iLok-Windows-Mac only and so will be the AVA plugins. LV2 will not be supported in v10 at all. But you will get an "uppgrade" to AVA versions of the XT plugins which haven't been ported by then.

Remember my words next year this time.
(I'm sadly stating that I predicted another thing correctly here before it surfaced, look in the bass-flow thread)

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(09-20-2023, 04:54 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Interesting so far:

Quote:And if you think about it the other way around, would there be a whole Mixbus without Ardour and Linux users?
Quote:With 3% of global systems being Linux I think you're wearing rose coloured glasses. Without commercial development Linux will remain a minor player.

A few years ago, Linux/OSS enthusiasts warned against porting accomplished OSS applications to Windows/Mac, because the respective users would take it and couldn't care less if the initial (Linux) platform is robbed of them one day.
Others said: No it is good and will lead to many users think about changing platform alltogether, and vendors will follow.

Now read the two citations above again and find out which of the mentioned groups had it right. I must confess, I had the rose glasses on and believed porting OSS to other platforms would change thinking. Turns out, the real "I want all for nothing and don't care about others" are not (only) Linux users, thus killing one of the "killer arguments" against Linux.

A great model of a possible paradigm change and a collab between OSS and commercial software is dying through the buyout. I predict the next major version of Mixbus 32C will be iLok-Windows-Mac only and so will be the AVA plugins. LV2 will not be supported in v10 at all. But you will get an "uppgrade" to AVA versions of the XT plugins which haven't been ported by then.

(I'm sadly stating that I predicted another thing correctly here before it surfaced, look in the bass-flow thread)

MMM

I see this matter exactly the same way. Eat, drink and fuck for a year. Then the party is over.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(09-20-2023, 05:04 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 04:54 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Interesting so far:

MMM

I see this matter exactly the same way. Eat, drink and fuck for a year. Then the party is over.

GOLD!
Linux throughout!

And yes, these issues were agreed upon in advance when the companies were merged. Harrison did know the road map. Anyone who believes otherwise is a bit stupid. There are no coincidences. Money talks...

(09-20-2023, 05:13 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: And yes, these issues were agreed upon in advance when the companies were merged. Harrison did know the road map. Anyone who believes otherwise is a bit stupid. There are no coincidences. Money talks...

Not too sure about that: "The winner takes it all" and nothing is like it has been assured before. Google gaslighting.
But the signs were on the wall and were denied:
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/threa...l#pid63704
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/threa...l#pid64855

MMM
Linux throughout!