Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iLok is coming
Today I got the email about the "free" Drum Flow iLok "upgrade".

The only upgrade seems to be Apple silicon compatibility - so it forces Mac users to iLok if they want a native plugin. It bloody should be free per default and not as a "feature". iLok coercion is *not* a feature or upgrade.
But read the list:

Quote:
The iLok upgrade brings M1 compatibility to Drum Flow and a whole lot more:  
  •  Full support for native Apple silicon M1/ARM with Universal 2 binary. 
  •  New SSL + Harrison software bundles only available on iLok 
  •  No physical iLok is required, unless you prefer to use one.  
  •  2 license activations per user. 
  •  View and manage all of your new Harrison and SSL plug-in purchases in one place. 

I would be interested how my fellow Linux users interpret bullet point #2... 

MMM

P.S.: Oh and guess which OS is not supported by the SSL Download Manager? I'm wondering if new versions/plugins will be SSL Store only as well?
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/threa...l#pid64844
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-19-2023, 05:19 PM)Dingo Wrote: https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/threa...l#pid64844

Thanks Ian, but this doesn't answer the question. It's totally irrelevant what Ben planned last month, SSL will knock him over any time.

Sorry, I'm currently in the middle of a very similar process, giant swallows small innovative company. Despite all the affirmations beforehand it becomes very clear that we will be just assimilated into their policies and rules system and everything which made us unique (and desirable to have) in the first place will be lost. They've been after a certain product and couldn't care less about culture and principles. And the (brightest) heads keep rolling, with mine being at stake as well.

The weights between ex Harrison and SSL are too imbalanced for Harrison to make any impact there.

Sorry for my pessimism but I've seen this a few times before.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(09-19-2023, 05:30 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(09-19-2023, 05:19 PM)Dingo Wrote: https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/threa...l#pid64844

Thanks Ian, but this doesn't answer the question. It's totally irrelevant what Ben planned last month, SSL will knock him over any time.

Sorry, I'm currently in the middle of a very similar process, giant swallows small innovative company. Despite all the affirmations beforehand it becomes very clear that we will be just assimilated into their policies and rules system and everything which made us unique (and desirable to have) in the first place will be lost. They've been after a certain product and couldn't care less about culture and principles. And the (brightest) heads keep rolling, with mine being at stake as well.

The weights between ex Harrison and SSL are too imbalanced for Harrison to make any impact there.

Sorry for my pessimism but I've seen this a few times before.

MMM
I fell in love with Mixbus 3. It was because it was analog, just like the console I sit at everyday. I bought into 32C and the Plugged-In Membership when it was first released. It was even more analog and I had a comp/limiter on every channel. And all the plugins I needed!. It was the only DAW I tried that didn't make me feel like I was mixing on a damn excel spread sheet. From V9 MB became less and less "analog" to me. Now it has been taken over by the corporate DAW. If I wanted SSL I would have purchased it. I DID NOT.
 I did not get an email about the iLok crap. But my credit card did get charged the $9.00 Plugged In Membership today. That will be the last time. Please understand, I have really held my tongue in this post. I stand with Max, as a Linux user, and a windows user. I have a lot invested in Mixbus. Some money and a lot of time. SSL can go pound sand with their iLok and their digital audio wasteland.
Thanks for your time and effort Dingo. 
Thanks Max, I'll be in touch.
Peace
Alex
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(09-19-2023, 05:14 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: P.S.: Oh and guess which OS is not supported by the SSL Download Manager? I'm wondering if new versions/plugins will be SSL Store only as well?
You do not require the SSL downloads manager to install Harrison plugins sold via the SSL website, you can directly download in Win,Mac or Linux.

Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
iLock is not my way. I think it was SSL's idea. I hoped better than that.
There are a lot old things to be fixed, instead of introducing new platforms for problems.

For example: input off (not showing) is not saved with the session. It is tyring to deselect it all the time.

Believe me, these old "little things" if fixed make Mixbus more desirable for users than new anythings....
Please, focus on those first.
Thanks
Tassy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Mixbus is constantly being prepared from the point of view of new customers only. There are even videos on Youtube of how some people are already painting an SSL version of it, where all channels are SSL. So apparently that's what some people want now. The old faithful group is thrown into the sea. The whole Ilok hustle is exactly that. Many things that were important to me will be destroyed. The devil got into the house, call the exorcist!

I hope to find a new home in the Ardour community.

I apologize for my direct speech, but the disappointment can no longer be contained.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Mixbus is constantly being prepared from the point of view of new customers only. 

True, the people who need how to videos are generally newbies, old salts already know the knots.

(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: There are even videos on Youtube of how some people are already painting an SSL version of it, where all channels are SSL. So apparently that's what some people want now.

If you review the numerous posts here about themes, you will find that a number of people over a number of years have been trying to make Harrison look like SSL. I don't understand that but it doesn't keep me awake at night. Obviously they have never actually mixed on an SSL Sad

(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: The old faithful group is thrown into the sea. The whole Ilok hustle is exactly that. Many things that were important to me will be destroyed. The devil got into the house, call the exorcist!

iLok is being introduced for Win and Mac users only (iLok is not supported natively on Linux) so I find it interesting that the most vocal critics of the move to iLok are Linux users - even though it appears that it will not effect them.

(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: I hope to find a new home in the Ardour community.

Therein lies a philosophical / ideological  conundrum for Linux users -

Yes it is true that Mixbus is built off the back of a Linux based / focused project and has a lot to thank the open source / Linux community for.

But it is also true that Harrison has been a major contributor to the Ardour project lending both cashflow and expertise that Ardour has needed to develop.

So if the Linux community abandons Harrison that removes the business model for Harrison to support Linux.
Ardour would still be struggling back in version 3 if Harrison had not been assisting.

If in a fit of idealism Linux users desert Harrison then that could reduce the options available to Linux users.

I am neither here nor there about iLok, it is just one of the many things I have to use as a tool in my studio.
(09-20-2023, 02:02 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Mixbus is constantly being prepared from the point of view of new customers only. 

True, the people who need how to videos are generally newbies, old salts already know the knots.

(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: There are even videos on Youtube of how some people are already painting an SSL version of it, where all channels are SSL. So apparently that's what some people want now.

If you review the numerous posts here about themes, you will find that a number of people over a number of years have been trying to make Harrison look like SSL. I don't understand that but it doesn't keep me awake at night. Obviously they have never actually mixed on an SSL Sad

(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: The old faithful group is thrown into the sea. The whole Ilok hustle is exactly that. Many things that were important to me will be destroyed. The devil got into the house, call the exorcist!

iLok is being introduced for Win and Mac users only (iLok is not supported natively on Linux) so I find it interesting that the most vocal critics of the move to iLok are Linux users - even though it appears that it will not effect them.

(09-20-2023, 01:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: I hope to find a new home in the Ardour community.

Therein lies a philosophical / ideological  conundrum for Linux users -

Yes it is true that Mixbus is built off the back of a Linux based / focused project and has a lot to thank the open source / Linux community for.

But it is also true that Harrison has been a major contributor to the Ardour project lending both cashflow and expertise that Ardour has needed to develop.

So if the Linux community abandons Harrison that removes the business model for Harrison to support Linux.
Ardour would still be struggling back in version 3 if Harrison had not been assisting.

If in a fit of idealism Linux users desert Harrison then that could reduce the options available to Linux users.

I am neither here nor there about iLok, it is just one of the many things I have to use as a tool in my studio.

And if you think about it the other way around, would there be a whole Mixbus without Ardour and Linux users? Would it be a Reaper-based tuning? If, over time, they had come to an agreement with Justin on common business patterns.

Linux is a force of nature, nothing can stop it.  There will be new options even when commercial companies go bankrupt.

Linux users are unlikely to abandon Harrison. The question is whether Harrison will abandon Linux users. This is the question. And I can somehow also accept Ilok if it works natively in Linux. But only if there is no other option.

I mentioned moving to Ardour because if there is no other option in the future. That is, if you no longer want to learn a new DAW
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(09-20-2023, 02:24 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: And if you think about it the other way around, would there be a whole Mixbus without Ardour and Linux users? Would it be a Reaper-based tuning? If, over time, they had come to an agreement with Justin on common business patterns.
Yes Mixbus has a lot to thank Linux users for, but if demand stops then supply stops.

(09-20-2023, 02:24 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Linux is a force of nature, nothing can stop it.  There will be new options even when commercial companies go bankrupt.

With 3% of global systems being Linux I think you're wearing rose coloured glasses. Without commercial development Linux will remain a minor player.

Bit dated now and also very dry but this thesis about operating systems and 'fans' is an interesting read..