Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Honest answer requested!
First let me say that while my start with Mixbus 32 C has had a learning curve I do see some great qualities here. 

So here is my question. How many of you use both Reaper and Mixbus? For those who do could you share your thoughts on your personal comparisons with these two platforms. Pros, cons, experiences etc. 

I ask because I recently bought both platforms as a way to transition from Studio one which I will say I truly loved but hated the subscription version and didn’t want to upgrade until I explored other options. I just completed a project tracked in both Reaper and Mixbus 32C. I wanted to see how my experience match that of others who have and or still use both products. 

Please don’t bash one or the other as both get the job done. I am looking for honest input as to workflow, overall experiences and such. 

Thanks in advance. Rob
Older Mac Mini 16 gig 1TB drive. MixBus32c latest version, Reaper 6, Band in a Box 2023, Presonus Audiobox VSL1818, several guitars. 
The very short answer is this: -I use Reaper for the initial MIDI and Mixbus32C for audio and final MIDI adjustments.

The workflow is like this:

When including MIDI in my projects, I first record some pilot audio tracks (mostly bass and a guitar track or two), then I import the audio into Reaper and close Mixbus32C. The reason I do it this way is that Reaper can't act as a Jack master, so hitting the play button in Reaper won't start Mixbus32C. When I have done the MIDI work, I import the MIDI into Mixbus32C, and then I do audio and the rest of the MIDI work.

I use Reaper for the hard MIDI work because I like its MIDI workflow better, just being able to record MIDI notes on the same (track)  layer while looping is golden for me. I want everything in one layer when working with MIDI. This is a tried, tested, and intuitive MIDI workflow that has proven its efficiency for decades - Just as Mixbus has a tried and tested workflow for mixing and in my opinion: -recording and audio editing. Everything in my opinion of course.

I really want to use Mixbus32C for everything, that will make everything easier IMO, but for now: -Reaper for initial (90%) MIDI work and Mixbus32C for anything else.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Jostien, thanks for that honest evaluation of your workflow. I posted the same thing on the Reaper site. You can imagine what i got there. Frothing at the mouth rabid Reaperism. Sad, cause i like the program, but the unreasonable fandom is hard to deal with. I expect them to offer a world peace plugin or worse a script. I see the value of both. I used Reaper yesterday to do a very nice little video project for a friend. it worked very smoothly. I tracked a project as i mentioned in both. everything went well, but i struggled in Mixbus to get a recorded vocal with enough volume that didn't require pounding it with FX to get a decent volume, Reaper did not require that. I personally like Mixbus better in some area. I guess between them both i get a lot of options.
Older Mac Mini 16 gig 1TB drive. MixBus32c latest version, Reaper 6, Band in a Box 2023, Presonus Audiobox VSL1818, several guitars. 
(07-16-2023, 05:52 PM)Robomusic57 Wrote: I tracked a project as i mentioned in both. everything went well, but i struggled in Mixbus to get a recorded vocal with enough volume that didn't require pounding it with FX to get a decent volume, Reaper did not require that. I personally like Mixbus better in some area. I guess between them both i get a lot of options.

When you have time, post a screenshot of your Mix and Edit pages and in particular the section containing vocals and the Monitor strip if you are using.
It might help to get around your issue...
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(07-16-2023, 05:52 PM)Robomusic57 Wrote: ...I tracked a project as i mentioned in both. everything went well, but i struggled in Mixbus to get a recorded vocal with enough volume that didn't require pounding it with FX to get a decent volume...

This might be because you are used to Reaper and try to work the same way (?) on Mixbus32C.

Mixbus32C has some good options when it comes to increasing levels before hitting the faders: You can hit alt+6 one or more times to make a marked region louder,  you can use the gain control of the embedded compressor in the channel strip, and you can use the trim control which is right above the fader.

The waveform can be gained 84 dB,  the compressor 10 dB more, and the trim 20 dB. That should be enough to gain your track to the level you need. But of course, the waveform might clip a long time before you make it up to 20 dB, and the compressor's gain knob is for makeup gain, but you should still be able the ruin your mix with a far to load track before hitting the fader!  :-)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
If I'd be on Windows, this would be my choice.
Mixbus for final mixdown and Reaper for everything else.

I love to separate workflows into recording/editing/arranging/mixdown
and do the editing and arranging parts on Mac with Logic.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
I used Reaper for 10 years and now only use Mixbus32c. Everything I NEED to do in Mixbus32c I can do it. Mixbus32c is adding features all the time and aren't slowing down anytime time soon.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
(07-17-2023, 02:08 PM)Caberto Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 11:43 AM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote: I used Reaper for 10 years and now only use Mixbus32c.  Everything I NEED to do in Mixbus32c I can do it.  Mixbus32c is adding features all the time and aren't slowing down anytime time soon.

I used Reaper and keep using it maybe just because it supports ARA that makes many of my daily routines quite a lot easier.

Thankfully most of the singers I work with don't need much tuning so I have avoided the ARA craze so far.  ARA is on the list of features to add....eventually.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio