Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Mixbus6 and ubuntu 19.**
Just a heads up I installed Ubuntu 19.0 and on firing it up found it totally different to any other installation.
They have another Audio system that controls jack and this seems to be linked to Carla.
Thing is when I fired up MB6 I could only see two channels, not the 32 I was expecting from my X32.

The Audio system didn't allow me to select more that 2 channels at a time.

Maybe it was something I missed, Carla has a patch bay but I couldn't figure out how you patch the connections.

Cheers Bob
(03-30-2020, 04:17 PM)wavesound Wrote: Just a heads up I installed Ubuntu 19.0 and on firing it up found it totally different to any other installation.
They have another Audio system that controls jack and this seems to be linked to Carla.
Thing is when I fired up MB6 I could only see two channels, not the 32 I was expecting from my X32.

The Audio system didn't allow me to select more that 2 channels at a time.

Maybe it was something I missed, Carla has a patch bay but I couldn't figure out how you patch the connections.

Cheers Bob

Maybe it has fetched your built-in stereo sound instead of your X32? Try and kill Jack, then start qjackctl and look if your X32 appears there in the setup.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-30-2020, 04:17 PM)wavesound Wrote: The Audio system didn't allow me to select more that 2 channels at a time.

Wouldn't the jackd command line params show which device it's working with ? If you do a 'ps aux' eg:

% ps aux | grep jackd

user 3297 0.6 0.5 255852 95220 ? SLsl 08:35 0:02 /usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault --sync -P80 -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:M1010LT -r44100 -p512 -n8

The -dhw param is the hardware jackd works with. In this example it's a M-Audio 1010LT PCI card.

If that's not the case you can, as MMM mentions, use qjackctl UI interface to find out about the recognized devices an configure jackd accordingly.

If your are using jackd all the time, or planning to do so, then you have the pulseaudio jack sink installed, the pulseaudio-module-jack package. So that firefox, vlc, mpv, any audio app can work transparently. If you have it installed then you will see a ~/.jackdrc file containing the jackd launch command line which starts jackd transparently at each boot. That makes it easy to alter parameters using a common text editor.
(03-31-2020, 07:46 AM)jonetsu Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 04:17 PM)wavesound Wrote: The Audio system didn't allow me to select more that 2 channels at a time.

Wouldn't the jackd command line params show which device it's working with ? If you do a 'ps aux' eg:

% ps aux | grep jackd

user 3297 0.6 0.5 255852 95220 ? SLsl 08:35 0:02 /usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault --sync -P80 -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:M1010LT -r44100 -p512 -n8

The -dhw param is the hardware jackd works with. In this example it's a M-Audio 1010LT PCI card.

If that's not the case you can, as MMM mentions, use qjackctl UI interface to find out about the recognized devices an configure jackd accordingly.

If your are using jackd all the time, or planning to do so, then you have the pulseaudio jack sink installed, the pulseaudio-module-jack package. So that firefox, vlc, mpv, any audio app can work transparently. If you have it installed then you will see a ~/.jackdrc file containing the jackd launch command line which starts jackd transparently at each boot. That makes it easy to alter parameters using a common text editor.

Hi
I could use jack fine and could set the x32 as normal I think when I fired up MB it must have defaulted to Alsa hence the few channels.

Now I'm all back and running I may reload 19 and give it a try. I was more confused by the Audio thing.
Cheers Bob
Looks like in 19 they want you to use their ubuntustudioncontrols instead of qjackctl
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu...ioControls

It's not always a trivial task for configuring things in Linux, each distro tends to have its own way and even may change that after update!
I mean, intention is to facilitate the process but generally it ends up more confusing
(03-31-2020, 08:52 AM)keefaz Wrote: It's not always a trivial task for configuring things in Linux, each distro tends to have its own way and even may change that after update!
I mean, intention is to facilitate the process but generally it ends up more confusing

This might be a reason I tend to use the simplest way possible. In this specific case of getting jackd to run transparently for all audio apps it boils down to a text editor and the ~/.jackdrc file and nothing else. Since I know pretty well how the text editor works, it makes things simple.

This said I haven't seem Mixbus32C altering a running jackd daemon. eg. restarting it with other parameters.
HI
OK I have re-installed Ubuntu 19 on it's own drive and when I load up mixbus it finds all 32 tracks.
No Idea what I did different but looks nice and works well so far.
I'll keep testing but seems OK so far.
Cheers All Wink
HI A;;
Been using MB6 on the above OS Ubuntu studio 19, For the last 2 weeks daily, Only problem I have encountered is MB6 has crashed to the point of hard reset twice.
I will assume that this is down to being a newer OS . Also I installed the new OS on a standard drive and not my SSD which is still Ubuntu 18,
Now back to my battle with the X32 and getting inserted effects into the daw!!!!!
Cheers all.
Note sure but hard reset needed often go with a video issue in my experience, a driver or something with the graphic environment
(04-13-2020, 10:33 AM)keefaz Wrote: Note sure but hard reset needed often go with a video issue in my experience, a driver or something with the graphic environment

Yes I thought so my keyboard saving is now automatic as last, So not a massive drama.
I'm using the NVIDIA closed source driver at the mo.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers bob