Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Holy Shmoly Just saw Harrison available on Linux -- Questions
Holy Skhermoly ! This is good.

Installed AVLinux, tried to get Jack to run but it wouldn't, just error outputs, but saw there was already Harrison MixBus on it.
Fired up Mixbus, chose Jack instead of Alsa, chose the factory template, and there it opened the 18 channels. When I saw the number 18 I knew I am winning.

My keyboard is fed to the 1818VSL through SPDIF and I eventually found it on 11/12

Latency ... what Latency? ... Holy Cow ! I can use this for a live mix monitor too.
It must have something to do with the monster server with more cores and memory than Bill Gates has braincells it is running on.

Windows + Audiobox on the same server just suuuuuuuuuuucks! The Audiobox running natively on windows has crackles pops and the faders are slow to respond. It later devolved to sounding like my keyboard is played through a Big Muff. Brand new windows install later and the same problem repeated after a while.

Jeez Linux+Mixbus/Jack is just an ace what windows cannot do this efficiently.
Hush ;-) We know Linux are superior to...... It's our advantage ;-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Linux as an OS and programming platform yes, but until recent not a contender at all as an audio workstation.
The Harrison involvement is really a gamechanger. What we should be working on is to get the latency so small that windows cannot compete. That might change things.
The amount of crap I had to endure with windows the last two years is immeasurable. Out of the box what I have with Harrison/Jack/Linux solved a lot of my problems. Amazing.

Anyway thanks all for participating in the thread. Was very helpful. I bought MixBus and will buy some more plugins from them. No brainer software !!
Yep. Getting more 3rd party support is the biggest issue right now. That said melda mentions using a wrapper for their plugs in Linux. Sonarworks has beta software for Linux. Also reaper has a beta version for Linux. So momentum seems to be building.
Question 1
Do you have any idea if Motu Stage 16 "http://motu.com/products/avb/stage-b16" has the same ethernet separate webserver capability for controlling stage monitor outputs as the MOTU UltraLite AVB that you have ? I wrote then a mail but it bounced. I will have to call them Monday, but thought I ask you.

If you look at the presets section at the bottom of the page, one of the presets are "Live Recording +Monitor Mixing".
Is that the same preset you use on the MOTU UltraLite AVB to have the separate monitor outputs through ethernet ?.
"http://motu.com/products/avb/stage-b16"

Question 2
Do you know if it is possible to ADAT an 1818VSL to the MOTU UltraLite AVB ?
Or if ADAT is a way I can use the motu as the zero latency Monitor outputs only ?
Is there anyway this can work ?
The motu doesnt have an ADT port but its own equivalent "UltraLite AVB network ethernet switch"
Do you know of any way to connect the presonus 1818vsl to this network so that it shows up as inputs in the Motu usb interface

[/quote]

Mixbus has always been available on Linux, in fact it's home (building on Ardour) is Linux and Windows and Mac are "guests".

All class compliant USB interfaces will work with Linux, I personally used the 1818VSL, the Novation 2+4 and the Behringer Guitar Link. I'm currently using the MOTU UltraLite AVB. I also used an Allen & Heath Qu32 as a 32 channel interface. The SQ series should be working, too. Class compliant USB is working out of the box.
Here comes the downside: in all cases I know the built-in DSP in these interfaces can't be controlled from Linux. They require Windows or Mac and their proprietary software. Two exceptions:
The A&H Qu32 is a real mixer and lets you have your monitoring on faders, very convenient.
The MOTU UltraLite AVB has a built-in web server which presents the DSP and it has an ethernet connector which allows to access this web server with anything which can run a web browser. This gives you not only full control from your Linux box but also a free personal monitoring system if you like. And that's why I have it.
As for Firewire - I have been using Presonus Firestudios for a while - same thing, excellent interfaces but to change the routing or to work with the internal mixers you can't use Linux.

You need to be aware that manufacturers seem to hate Linux - you will find statements about how much they don't support Linux right on top of their pages.

HTH
MMM
[/quote]
(12-01-2018, 11:38 PM)zimbodel Wrote: Question 1
Question 2

Sorry man, I'm a bit short on time atm and I don't know the b16.
For my studio I created my own presets.
Please try to do the investigations yourself...

Cheers,
MMM
Sorry I asked, to my defense, I only contacted you because Motu's customer service email on their webpage doesnt work anymore and you have a setup similar to what I need.
If I could sort this out completely by myself in the short time I have left, I wouldnt have bought Harrison and joined the group.
Manufacturers has a chronic inability explaining their products properly, as if they never used it themselves.

Sorry to have bothered, but you were a great help so far and I appreciate that, but you dont need to respond to my posts as I will ask a lot of questions.

Thanks

(12-02-2018, 04:45 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 11:38 PM)zimbodel Wrote: Question 1
Question 2

Sorry man, I'm a bit short on time atm and I don't know the b16.
For my studio I created my own presets.
Please try to do the investigations yourself...

Cheers,
MMM