Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Holy Shmoly Just saw Harrison available on Linux -- Questions
Might be my dream come true. So tired of always having to fight through the beatbox DAWS when all I want is just a good old fashioned Mixer based Daw. Cant get better than Harrison! AND Linux. Might be heaven.
The price is unbeatable too !

After all my drooling and venting, I really want to buy this ...but have some questions

1) I currently have presonus 1818vsl audioboxes.
Does Harrison/Mixbus work with the 1818VSL on Linux ?

2) In general, is there a list of audio (usb/firewire) interfaces Mixbus works with on Linux ?

There will be more questions but this is enough for now.
A link for you to look at; http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux
W7 home Premiumx64,,,, AVlinux.
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left! (Seasick Steve)Big Grin

(11-29-2018, 08:05 PM)zimbodel Wrote: Might be my dream come true. So tired of always having to fight through the beatbox DAWS when all I want is just a good old fashioned Mixer based Daw. Cant get better than Harrison! AND Linux. Might be heaven.
The price is unbeatable too !

After all my drooling and venting, I really want to buy this ...but have some questions

1) I currently have presonus 1818vsl audioboxes.
Does Harrison/Mixbus work with the 1818VSL on Linux ?

2) In general, is there a list of audio (usb/firewire) interfaces Mixbus works with on Linux ?

There will be more questions but this is enough for now.

Mixbus has always been available on Linux, in fact it's home (building on Ardour) is Linux and Windows and Mac are "guests".

All class compliant USB interfaces will work with Linux, I personally used the 1818VSL, the Novation 2+4 and the Behringer Guitar Link. I'm currently using the MOTU UltraLite AVB. I also used an Allen & Heath Qu32 as a 32 channel interface. The SQ series should be working, too. Class compliant USB is working out of the box.
Here comes the downside: in all cases I know the built-in DSP in these interfaces can't be controlled from Linux. They require Windows or Mac and their proprietary software. Two exceptions:
The A&H Qu32 is a real mixer and lets you have your monitoring on faders, very convenient.
The MOTU UltraLite AVB has a built-in web server which presents the DSP and it has an ethernet connector which allows to access this web server with anything which can run a web browser. This gives you not only full control from your Linux box but also a free personal monitoring system if you like. And that's why I have it.
As for Firewire - I have been using Presonus Firestudios for a while - same thing, excellent interfaces but to change the routing or to work with the internal mixers you can't use Linux.

You need to be aware that manufacturers seem to hate Linux - you will find statements about how much they don't support Linux right on top of their pages.

HTH
MMM
Madmaxmiller, thanks for your reply.

I did not really understand what you mean with your experience with the 1818vsl it was not clear from your response what the result was..
I have seen posts where users got all the inputs and outputs accessible with jack.
If that is truly the case, then all inputs can be inserted into channels of MixBus.

Where do I go wrong ?

Sorry to ask for more explanations of your answer.

Is there one interface you know of that you can place all the inputs and outputs onto MixBus ?
(11-30-2018, 03:29 AM)zimbodel Wrote: Madmaxmiller, thanks for your reply.

I did not really understand what you mean with your experience with the 1818vsl it was not clear from your response what the result was..
I have seen posts where users got all the inputs and outputs accessible with jack.
If that is truly the case, then all inputs can be inserted into channels of MixBus.

Where do I go wrong ?

You're not wrong. I used the 1818VSL with an attached Behringer ADA 8200 and was able to use all 16 in- and outputs in Mixbus and every application which knows Jack. Should actually work with ALSA, too, but I never tried as I'm a big fan of Jack.
What's *not* working from Linux is the built-in DSP of the VSL: the mixer and FX. But as an interface it works great.
MMM
Ok ,
I understand. I dont really mind not having the DSP as MixBus is more than good as a DSP and in the end the "flavor" I am after.
If I may ask, why would you still want to use the Audiobox's DSP when you have Mixbus which arguably close to the best DSP out there for recording?
Maybe I am missing something in my undrstanding of how you ended up using the 1818vsl or why you found something lacking not having the 1818vsl DSP.
It is just handy for a live stage mix for a small band and that it does exceptionally well.
"If I may ask, why would you still want to use the Audiobox's DSP when you have Mixbus which arguably close to the best DSP out there for recording?"

For example for monitormixes with less latency.
°°°
Mac Mini M1 --> RME Multiface II
MacBook Air M1
Thinkpad T430 16gb --> Ubuntustudio 64bit --> Multiface II / SoundDevices USBpre2
Ok in that case understandable, but I am talking just about recording not monitoring.

(11-30-2018, 11:58 AM)knutzn Wrote: "If I may ask, why would you still want to use the Audiobox's DSP when you have Mixbus which arguably close to the best DSP out there for recording?"

For example for monitormixes with less latency.

Also,
Why is there a tendency to record in Protools first and then use MixBus for the final mix.
Why not just record flat with MixBus to get uncolored initial data with maximum dynamic range and highest SNR and then do a final mix with MixBus.
I dont understand the almost prerequisite "record with protools" and then do final mix with MixBus.
I mean Harrison Desks produced the most iconic mixes without protools since the 70's !
"I dont understand the almost prerequisite "record with protools" and then do final mix with MixBus."

For me there is no reason to do it like that.
I record, mix and master with Mixbus and I'm happy with it and with the better performance of my Linux machine.
°°°
Mac Mini M1 --> RME Multiface II
MacBook Air M1
Thinkpad T430 16gb --> Ubuntustudio 64bit --> Multiface II / SoundDevices USBpre2
Thanks for confirming that.I didnt know why that is peddled allaround. I mean even Harrison says that in their product video.
"Of course we record with protools, then use Mixbus for the analog feel afterwards"
After I heard that I said whaaaa?
It seems like there are too many die hard protools users and they insist to have the cart (protools ) in front of the horse (mixbus). Seems like inertial protool users basically using MixBus as an aftereffect.
I find this a bit stupid really.

[/quote]
For me there is no reason to do it like that.
I record, mix and master with Mixbus and I'm happy with it and with the better performance of my Linux machine.
[/quote]

Lastly,

Probably my last question, you guys helped me a lot.
Madmaxmiller, Knutzn or anyone who do use 1818vsl;
1) If you still use an 1818vsl ?, if so can you maybe copy/paste/post the Jack inputs and outputs that the 1818vsl make available. I just need that as reference to see what I must get after I get jack working.
Currently it shows 4 Audiobox items that I cannot even figure out if it is inputs or outputs.
I will remove the KXStudio installation and try AVLinux. Maybe better luck there.
I will not discuss jack issues here, I will ask on the jack forum, but it would be nice to see what your available inputs and outputs look like for the 1818vsl in jack. Will be a really great and helpful reference.