Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi notes shift upon end recording [SOLVED]
When recording midi the notes end up out of sync, way off, to the metronome. As I record the notes look as if placed correctly, then when I press end recording I can literally see the notes shift left to sit approx 1/8th note earlier than played! 

This is using MB 6.2.270 on a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04. I was previously using MB 6 (not sure of exact version) on Ubuntu 18.04 without this behaviour.

I have tried with Alsa sequencer and Alsa RAW (I never bother using JACK).

With the same hardware this was not a problem with MB on Ubuntu 18. I have just tried Reaper on this Ubuntu 20 and there was no problem with midi delay out of the box. So I guess this is either me missing some config setting or something with the way MB is interacting with Ubuntu 20.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try to remedy this?

Many thanks
Phil
(02-02-2021, 03:37 AM)phil Wrote: ...

Does anyone have any idea what I could try to remedy this?

This is a known problem, but for me, it often jumps the opposite way or maybe I remember this wrongly. On my system, the recorded region jumps one grid unit (I believe) to the right (or maybe it was left) and the right part of the beat is narrowed by the unit, hiding MIDI notes. My workaround was what you probably already do or have tried: I move the region back to where it's supposed to be and drag the right side to the right in order to show the hidden MIDI notes again, I have reported this a long time ago. If I understand the information I have gathered on the Ardour forum right, this will not be fixed before Ardour reaches version 7. It looks like MIDI might get some love from that version. Based upon earlier release history, Mixbus might be fixed a little before or after that. But of course, I can only guess as it's minimal info about Mixbus'/Ardour's future plan regarding MIDI, at least the way I know it. As it is now, I have been giving up Mixbus when it comes to initial MIDI work.

My current solution is to use Rosegarden for the MIDI work (or Hydrogen for sketches) where I connect everything together with JACK, at least for the initial recording/MIDI programming and when that's done, I record the MIDI audio output to Mixbus or export the MIDI file for Mixbus and do the rest from there.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Hello Jostein

Thanks for your reply.

This is very frustrating indeed. I have been getting into a groove and enjoying MB, even with it's midi quirks, but this is a show stopper for me. I prefer a simple life which, for me, doesn't include multiple sequencers linked by JACK nor repeated import/export.

I'm not going to revert to Ubuntu 18 whilst waiting for MB 7. Would another distro solve it? 

Phil
Now I look closer I realise I was mistaken to state above that the midi is fine in Reaper. In fact I am experiencing a similar midi problem in Reaper - ie the recorded midi is ahead of what was played relative to the metronome. I was fine with 18.04. So could my problem be with Ubuntu 20.04 (and not the MB issue).

Is anyone else using Ubuntu 20.04?
Hi,
I had a similar problem. I got it to work. when I set the dot as shown in that picture.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

Hello Sojuzstudio

Thanks for your reply and thanks so much for your suggestion. It works!

I have been dragging the recorded midi notes into position for the last 24 hours, cursing computers! No more. Brilliant. Cheers mate.

Phil

[ edited to ask mods/anyone - should I be marking these threads as solved. I can see other threads are marked but cannot see how I do that]
Note: not necessarily a solution on Mac:
Tested all alignment modes (mentioned in my Mac Support post) and it didn't fix the issue. HOWEVER, disabling metronome count-in (in session properties) solves the problem for me. Preroll doesn't cause any issues, so I use that exclusively now.
Is there any way to keep this option (Align With Capture Time) always on, to avoid constantly changing this option whenever I create a new midi track? I did not find this option in the Preferences or in the user manual...
(I'm using version 32c 7.0 on Windows 10)
...I also found that if I disable the PDC (Plugin Delay Compensation) function - "Edit-> Preferences-> Toolbar-> Display Latency Compensation Info" - I don't have this problem when recording midi, but I'm probably disabling latency compensation later in the plugins ... (?)