Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugin not working
Hello madmaxmiller

The Mixbus help menu version says 6.1.22 Intel 64-bit. And...

Code:
phil@phils-pc:~$ hostnamectl
  Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
  Kernel: Linux 5.4.0-42-generic
  Architecture: x86-64

Code:
phil@phils-pc:~/.vst$ file Tunefish4.so
Tunefish4.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=236ed873353dfa928c9b1d6b620edbc2c8d0acda, not stripped

I think this means it's all 64 bit.

I had a quick look at upgrading to 20.04 but the Ubuntu software updater doesn't give me the option to even though I have it set to notify me of LTS upgrades. Odd. I guess there is merit in a new install of 20.04 but that's a big step for me.
(07-26-2020, 12:02 AM)phil Wrote: Hello madmaxmiller

The Mixbus help menu version says 6.1.22 Intel 64-bit. And...

Code:
phil@phils-pc:~$ hostnamectl
  Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
  Kernel: Linux 5.4.0-42-generic
  Architecture: x86-64

Code:
phil@phils-pc:~/.vst$ file Tunefish4.so
Tunefish4.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=236ed873353dfa928c9b1d6b620edbc2c8d0acda, not stripped

I think this means it's all 64 bit.

I had a quick look at upgrading to 20.04 but the Ubuntu software updater doesn't give me the option to even though I have it set to notify me of LTS upgrades. Odd. I guess there is merit in a new install of 20.04 but that's a big step for me.

Upgrades jumping multiple versions are not safe. Too many changes. Your best shot is to make a full system backup (maybe with Systemback), check for any scripts you may have created and save them for reuse, hopefully your /home is on a separate partition... hold your breath and jump! Big Grin
Best of luck,
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Maybe you could try to compile the plugin (providing you have development tools installed, gcc etc)

Code:
cd /tmp
git clone https://github.com/paynebc/tunefish
cd tunefish/src/tunefish4/Builds/LinuxMakefile
make
If plugin compiled fine I think Tunefish4.so should be in /tmp/tunefish/build
(looking at Linux Makefile)
(07-25-2020, 11:48 AM)Harvey Stuart Wrote: The "standard" tests sighs:
Code:
$:/usr/lib/vst>:
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Mixbus-6.1.22/lib /opt/Mixbus-6.1.22/lib/ardour-vst-scanner -f ./Tunefish4.so
[ERROR]: Could not open existing LXVST plugin: /usr/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: atk_component_scroll_to_point
[WARNING]: Cannot get LinuxVST information from './Tunefish4.so': load failed.
Ok, ardour-vst-scanner needs -f to print out that error. Case is such that plugin does not work with Mixbus directly. Reason is that Mixbus has older versions of libraries, and those libraries don't have all the symbols. Upgrading your system won't change anything.

But good news is that such plugins work ok with carla. So install carla, load carla plugin to mixbus, and in that carla plugin UI insert that particular plugin.

I've met similar problems, see for example https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php...11cae73f7a
Linux veteran and music novice
Follow inspiration, not trends!
(07-26-2020, 07:03 AM)tavasti Wrote:
Code:
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Mixbus-6.1.22/lib /opt/Mixbus-6.1.22/lib/ardour-vst-scanner -f ./Tunefish4.so
[ERROR]: Could not open existing LXVST plugin: /usr/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: atk_component_scroll_to_point
Ok, ardour-vst-scanner needs -f to print out that error. Case is such that plugin does not work with Mixbus directly. Reason is that Mixbus has older versions of libraries, and those libraries don't have all the symbols. Upgrading your system won't change anything.

But good news is that such plugins work ok with carla. So install carla, load carla plugin to mixbus, and in that carla plugin UI insert that particular plugin.

I've met similar problems, see for example https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php...11cae73f7a

Yep, I posted the comparizon as to show that it indeed was related to libs packaged with, and (to answer the question from OP about what the diff was between my tests) that the two of them used the same vst testing script from Mixbus but one test forced to use the Ardour6 libs package and so would work fine -- and indeed Ardour6 correctly "sees" and loads the Tunefish4 plugin so if his main intent were to test that plugin he may do so using Ardour6 while waiting for the next update in Mixbus with enhanced/updated libs Wink
Mixbus/32C 5.3.22, 6.2.407 and 7.1.92 on Manjaro midtower i5-6600K 3.5GHz and Manjaro or LibraZik3 on Lenovo X250 i5
Mixbus 5.3.22 and 6.2.407 on Win10x64/Lenovo T40 i7 and X250 i5
audiocards: Scarlett 2i4, Tascam US4x4HR
(07-26-2020, 07:42 AM)Harvey Stuart Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 07:03 AM)tavasti Wrote:
Code:

Yep, I posted the comparizon as to show that it indeed was related to libs packaged with, and (to answer the question from OP about what the diff was between my tests) that the two of them used the same vst testing script from Mixbus but one test forced to use the Ardour6 libs package and so would work fine -- and indeed Ardour6 correctly "sees" and loads the Tunefish4 plugin so if his main intent were to test that plugin he may do so using Ardour6 while waiting for the next update in Mixbus with enhanced/updated libs Wink

Well, I pointed out that I loaded it in US 20.04 into MB32Cv6 and just now also succeeded in v5, I did the same in Debian Stretch/v5 and Mint 19.4 Mixbus v5 and v6.
My prognosis is that Phil, as he didn't see it in Carla either, also won't see it in Ardour 6 or LMMS or any other host.
There must be something else (not) going on... but I don't know what.

MMM

(07-26-2020, 07:03 AM)tavasti Wrote: Ok, ardour-vst-scanner needs -f to print out that error. Case is such that plugin does not work with Mixbus directly. Reason is that Mixbus has older versions of libraries, and those libraries don't have all the symbols. Upgrading your system won't change anything.

We've been there already. No Carla for Phil, full success for me with MB v6 and v5 in three different systems. Read the thread.

MMM
Linux throughout!

Thanks for the responses but it is the case that I not seeing the plugins in carla and getting a system error message.. So I am coming round to updating my ubuntu. What's your opinion MMM, with this type of error will I get away with upgrading from 18.04 or do I need a fresh install of 20.04?
(09-05-2020, 12:01 PM)phil Wrote: Thanks for the responses but it is the case that I not seeing the plugins in carla and getting a system error message.. So I am coming round to updating my ubuntu. What's your opinion MMM, with this type of error will I get away with upgrading from 18.04 or do I need a fresh install of 20.04?

If you are considering a fresh install anyway - do it! Upgrades over multiple versions (LTS or not) is not a good idea. In the best case you end up with a lot of clutter.
If you have recycable config files in /etc save them first (I have a few NFS mounts in /etc/fstab for instance), it just saves time later.

MMM
Linux throughout!