Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus, Mixbus32C: v6.1 now available!
Is it ok to keep the old config file from 6.0 or it's better to delete it and let the new mixbus version makes a new one?
(07-21-2020, 05:12 PM)keefaz Wrote: Is it ok to keep the old config file from 6.0 or it's better to delete it and let the new mixbus version makes a new one?

It is fine to keep the old config from v 6.0.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Great release! Thank you Ben, and the Mixbus team, and the Ardour team.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(07-18-2020, 02:33 PM)Jostein Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 12:20 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: ....and hundreds of smaller fixes, too!

And one of all that fixes is that one can now consolidate MIDI regions in a track again. Now, I think I can do all my MIDI work within Mixbus32C again, thank you very much, this makes everything sooo much more efficient! :-)

I've been trying to figure out what this means, but I'm still not quite sure.
Could you explain? Rolleyes
(07-22-2020, 01:17 AM)krans Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 12:20 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: ....and hundreds of smaller fixes, too!

And one of all that fixes is that one can now consolidate MIDI regions in a track again. Now, I think I can do all my MIDI work within Mixbus32C again, thank you very much, this makes everything sooo much more efficient! :-)

If you record something on a MIDI track, then that part will be in a new region. After a while with more tracking, and perhaps punches and editings, the MIDI track might be cluttered with regions, often stacked in layers here and there, just as in an audio track, but this is absolutely nothing one wants in a MIDI track because you can't edit a non-top layer directly and it becomes tedious to edit it. In a MIDI track, you want every note in one layer (at least according to me) so you can have direct access to every MIDI note in the piano roll. It's here the consolidate function, which was defunctioning in some versions, comes to rescue. Here you can mark a range that covers the area where you want it to be one layer and then right-click the range and choose to consolidate it. Then this part will have all the MIDI notes in the same layer.

Why this MIDI layers in one track were implemented a long time ago is probably because the people who did it (just guessing) wanted it to act as an audio track, but this is less than ideal for MIDI and makes things unnecessarily complicated, but thankfully, the region tool and the consolidate function fixes this.

EDIT: To be fair, I should also add that this region philosophy is not necessarily a bad thing. It's excellent when you need to copy parts of a track to other places and for composition purposes. So maybe the need for region making and consolidating stuff is not such a bad thing after all. The alternative is to copy single notes and place them elsewhere, which also can be tedious.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(07-22-2020, 02:35 AM)Jostein Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 01:17 AM)krans Wrote:

If you record something on a MIDI track, then that part will be in a new region. After a while with more tracking, and perhaps punches and editings, the MIDI track might be cluttered with regions, often stacked in layers here and there, just as in an audio track, but this is absolutely nothing one wants in a MIDI track because you can't edit a non-top layer directly and it becomes tedious to edit it. In a MIDI track, you want every note in one layer (at least according to me) so you can have direct access to every MIDI note in the piano roll. It's here the consolidate function, which was defunctioning in some versions, comes to rescue. Here you can mark a range that covers the area where you want it to be one layer and then right-click the range and choose to consolidate it. Then this part will have all the MIDI notes in the same layer.

Why this MIDI layers in one track were implemented a long time ago is probably because the people who did it (just guessing) wanted it to act as an audio track, but this is less than ideal for MIDI and makes things unnecessarily complicated, but thankfully, the region tool and the consolidate function fixes this.

Lovely!
I'm really glad I asked. Wouldn't have figured out on my own, and this is really super useful. I have enough of big projects with lots of small midi bits floating around on top of eachother. I love anything that can tidy up my mess a bit.
Thank you so much for explaining! Wink
We have published a new version of Mixbus32C, v6.1.22, with several improvements!

This software update is free for both "Demo" and "Licensed" users of Mixbus and Mixbus32C.

To download the latest software, please visit the appropriate product page, and click "Download".

* Mixbus

* Mixbus32C

V6.1.14 (this version was available on the store for a short time)
  • XT-TP would not accept the license text when pasted into the plugin window. This has been fixed
  • Fixed an occasional crash when showing the a-EQ plugin GUI
  • When manually "punching-in" tracks on a large session, there could be a delay from the time that you armed the master record button until Mixbus actually started recording. This has been fixed.
  • The import of MIDI files has been dramatically improved. Huge files with millions of notes and hundreds of tempo changes reduced importing time from 5 minutes to 20 seconds.

v6.1.22
  • Fixed a crash in Toontrack EZDrummer, maybe other plugins (Mac only)
  • Fixed an intermittent failure to export (“cannot prepare transport for exporting”), and reduced the time needed to locate the playhead, for sessions with a lot of automation points.