Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossible Mixbus Problem
I used the purchased version and religiously purchase upgrades.

Lately it seems I am just buying trouble period.
Contacting Harrison doesnt really help either and the support is tepid.
It is luckily still cheap enough to absolutely justify tepid support.

Maybe someone has an idea what is going on here ?

The newer versions 5.3 creates this horrible mess with my projects.
I keep lots of backups and the curious thing is that this happens with all my backups too, which is impossible. They are write protected stored and they all worked.

If I open a known working project with 5.3, then all the input channels comes up blank and missing.
However if I go to patchage it CLEARLY shows that the exact correct channels are created in mixbus and present.

So mixbus 5.3 interface seemingly decided not to show my input channels although they clearly loaded and are present in patchage. there is no way that patchage can just "know" the exact amount of channels that used to be in this patch but now not shown. Impossible.

therefore clearly the 5.3 interface hides the input channels and they are created.
Is there a new hide button that I am not aware of. I dont think so, but i only used Mixbus for about 1-2 years I think now.
I am open to some feature I accidentally triggered and didnt know of, but I doubt it.

I have so much trouble since upgrading to the paid for 5.3 and brace myself what will happen if I buy 6. This is now the 5th crazy problem which makes 5.3 unusable.

Here are the photos
Mixbus shows no inputs
https://i.imgur.com/8imD2aW.png
Patchage shows they are EXACTLY there in correct quantity.
https://i.imgur.com/Oi4vQIN.png

To add insult to injury, this also happens to copies obtained from write protected backups. They CANNOT all be missing inputs. This must be a new interface hide feature i dont know of. 5.1 doesnt have this trouble.
(06-13-2020, 01:12 AM)zimbodel Wrote: Here are the photos
Mixbus shows no inputs
https://i.imgur.com/8imD2aW.png
Patchage shows they are EXACTLY there in correct quantity.
https://i.imgur.com/Oi4vQIN.png

To add insult to injury, this also happens to copies obtained from write protected backups. They CANNOT all be missing inputs. This must be a new interface hide feature i dont know of. 5.1 doesnt have this trouble.

The screen shot is of the Mixbuses which do not have Input switching.
With your channels perhaps the Inputs are hidden because you need to 'switch' the inputs to reveal them ...
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...q=switcher
That feature was introduced early v5 from memory.

As to corrupting a write protected file... I don't think that could be the case.

Also I would have to say that if Harrison's support was rated one to ten I would give it an eleven or twelve.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
If only that was the problem it would have been great. Nothing to do with that switch. It is no even available or active when mixbus is in this input channel -void state. Look at the photo.

In fact I loaded and shut down mixbus repeatedly on the same project file.
After the 6th try without doing anything to the interface suddenly all the input channels are there plus the plugins.

A curious thing that happens is that the plugins in the mixbusses also disappear in the cases where the input channeols disappear.
This points to a mixbus internal problem and not switching channels on and off.

How do you explain the mixbus plugins disappearing also ?

I also give it a 12 .. 1/12, but then to be fair, Mixbus cost 12x less than it should cost or should I say Ardour should cost, so my rating is not valid with that perspective.

[/quote]
The screen shot is of the Mixbuses which do not have Input switching.
With your channels perhaps the Inputs are hidden because you need to 'switch' the inputs to reveal them ...
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...q=switcher
That feature was introduced early v5 from memory.

As to corrupting a write protected file... I don't think that could be the case.

Also I would have to say that if Harrison's support was rated one to ten I would give it an eleven or twelve.
[/quote]
OK, so have you considered that the session you have may be corrupted in some way ?
I would try a fresh session and just check, also I would not advise messing around with the filing system for Mixbus, I have never gone in and duplicated, write protected or shifted any files and have never had the kind of issues you are having.
Keep it simple mate or otherwise you might be creating a rod for your own back by frigging with the riggingSmile
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Corruption is not possible as I copy over backups and it is the same result with them all.

If I try 5.1 on the same projects they always work.
When I load 5.3 on these projects, they dont work, so clearly the problem is with 5.3 and not the projects themselves.

(06-13-2020, 01:52 AM)Dingo Wrote: OK, so have you considered that the session you have may be corrupted in some way ?
I would try a fresh session and just check, also I would not advise messing around with the filing system for Mixbus, I have never gone in and duplicated, write protected or shifted any files and have never had the kind of issues you are having.
Keep it simple mate or otherwise you might be creating a rod for your own back by frigging with the riggingSmile
(06-13-2020, 02:22 AM)zimbodel Wrote: If I try 5.1 on the same projects they always work.
When I load 5.3 on these projects, they dont work, so clearly the problem is with 5.3 and not the projects themselves.

Let me suggest two things:

1) When you open v5.3 and see no channel strips: can you go onto the left hand side of the mixer and look if they are visible? Or you can check in the editor on the right hand side also.

2) you probably have chosen "keep settings" when you upgraded Mixbus - something might have gone wrong there. If you rename the folder
/home/<yourlogin>/.config/mixbus5/
into something else and then start Mixbus 5.3 it will create a new profile. Open a session with it and check what happens.

(oh and 3. please let me know how it went)

MMM

Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Regarding (1)

That was in fact the first I tried. On the right hand side, the only active region is moving the mixbus session. No active inputs there.

On the left hand side, all i get that is active is the (+) tab that comes out asking me to create an input file. No si8gn of the inputs although we know they are in the project file as 5.1 has them.

The smoking gun for me here is htat the mixbus channels are available and loaded, but that all the plugins are gone in the mixbus channels when the inputs are not visible.
This kind of thing usually happens when an interface is set up by a script, which I can bet Mixbus uses. I dont know what it is written in, but the startup looks very script like to me and the script seemingly interrupts and exits for some reason on 5.3 and does not complete the display of plugins and input channels. Only a developer would know, but I could ask on Ardour.

Regarding (2).
That is a great suggestion I will check.

(06-13-2020, 03:08 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Let me suggest two things:

1) When you open v5.3 and see no channel strips: can you go onto the left hand side of the mixer and look if they are visible? Or you can check in the editor on the right hand side also.

2) you probably have chosen "keep settings" when you upgraded Mixbus - something might have gone wrong there. If you rename the folder
/home/<yourlogin>/.config/mixbus5/
into something else and then start Mixbus 5.3 it will create a new profile. Open a
session with it and check what happens.
Nope it still does it after following your suggestions
I will have to shut down and start about 6 times then suddenly it shows the inputs.
I already reinstalled, result the same.

By your experience, will the support from Harrison be better if I buy 32C or is it going to be the same ? I dont really need parametric equalizers and rather prefer a parametric plugin if ever there is a need for parametrics.
I appreciate you guys helping me, but this looks like a bug to me and since I seem to be the only one who triggers it, it is sure going to be present in Ver6 too.

As already mentioned Ver 5.1 works perfectly on the exact same machine.

Ok, i think I narrowed the problem down to something that switches off the View track checks by default and then upon several reloads suddenly out of the blue the checks are all on again and the channels show.

So what is it that switches off all the checkmarks in show channels and then upon successive shutdown and reloads switches it on miraculously. ?

And I now see that ALL my plugins just disappeared. Absolutely none present anymore - crazy

This is NOT right.
Also, the fact that 5.3 doesnt want to export any sound to a file is the other problem which I dont have with 5.1
I think 5.3 is just a Bork and i need to give up on it.
No one seems to have the same problem so it must be some mysterious trigger.
this seems unsalvageable

I Contacted Harrison in order to buy an older version of 32C but they were not willing to sell me 32C Ver 5.1 or 5.3 and only want to sell new versions, so it seems I am stuck. I was willing to pay normal price for the old versions.

At least 5.1 works perfectly, so will have to stick with that.

Thanks for trying to help.I appreciate it.

Best is to wait until version 7 or 8 and hope the problem resolves by then.
I guess you are not actually talking about inputs but tracks / channel strips - terminology seems to be very mixed up. The screenshots are also basically useless, as you have hidden the sidebar.

Anyway... I've never seen such a problem back when I used 5.3.22. Maybe it's some sort of a timing problem / race condition with track creation when loading the session. Might be interesting to know if the problem still exists if you use the Alsa backend instead of Jack.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c