Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossible Mixbus Problem
(06-14-2020, 04:26 AM)zimbodel Wrote: At least 5.1 works perfectly, so will have to stick with that.

Sorry to hear that... did you mention earlier that your sessions are write protected? That would explain export problems if you intend to use the export folder.
I don't know if you have tried to copy one of these sessions, then make sure it's rw (really try to create a file manually in the session folder), open it with 5.1 and make a snapshot with a different name, then open that snapshot with 5.3.?
Also, does the problem occur with sessions you created entirely in 5.3?
Oh, and third: for trying out if v6 still has the behaviour you can download a demo version anytime, your plugin licenses will work with this, only the DAW itself will hiss every 30 seconds, which is no problem for your purpose. MB v5 and v6 can coexist on the same machine (I have that here, too, because of MMC).

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Well, sure, but pedantics wont solve the problem.

(06-14-2020, 04:39 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: I guess you are not actually talking about inputs but tracks / channel strips - terminology seems to be very mixed up. The screenshots are also basically useless, as you have hidden the sidebar.

Anyway... I've never seen such a problem back when I used 5.3.22. Maybe it's some sort of a timing problem / race condition with track creation when loading the session. Might be interesting to know if the problem still exists if you use the Alsa backend instead of Jack.
Hi max, I worked as a linux sysadmin so elementary things like permissions isnt the problem.
Firstly you need to explain why 5.1 then works flawlessly on the SAME projects 5.3 refuses to operate on.

When using a backup, the usual chmod,chown etc procedure to set the correct permissions is obviously done correctly.
The problem doesnt lie there.

Also, if there were a hard permission problem there is no way mixbus would only load the project correctly after 6 tries. This is the mixbus startup procedure creating this error as I can see all the plugins being loaded, but then never displayed.

So far at least i can still do everything on 5.1 without any trouble.

I thank both of you and dingo for the kind help, but I will just skip 4 or so upgrades and continue with 5.1 until then.

Thanks a lot for trying to help, but this problem seems insurmountable with 5.3.
In addition as mentioned in another thread. 5.3 refuses to export. it produces silent audio although the file size is correct.

I'll just stick a fork in Mixbus 5.3 and Mixbus 6.0

(06-14-2020, 06:08 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 04:26 AM)zimbodel Wrote: At least 5.1 works perfectly, so will have to stick with that.

Sorry to hear that... did you mention earlier that your sessions are write protected? That would explain export problems if you intend to use the export folder.

MMM
(06-14-2020, 06:31 PM)zimbodel Wrote: In addition as mentioned in another thread. 5.3 refuses to export. it produces silent audio although the file size is correct.

That was interesting. I have also experienced exported silent audio files, but have forgotten to try to recreate the situation, using v.6. The last time this happened was last week when I exported multiple files in a mastering project by time span (ranges). 2 out of 8 songs were silent.

My workaround was to export the silent regions one by one. I think I will lower my tolerance of workarounds, not meaning that I won't use them, the job needs to be done, but I will try to use more time to understand when things happen and file bug reports more frequently.

The problem with workarounds is that it makes one ignore problems (or eventual lack of features) and just carry one with the job, forgetting that it's a bug here, that doesn't contribute to making Mixbus* better. That said, I try to use Mixbus32c for everything and it mostly works excellent for me, but for MIDI work, It seems to me that Ardour 6 works better and maybe 6.1 catches up?
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Glad to hear that I am not the only one.
You are right. The more users post trouble the better Mixbus will get.
Else the messenger usually get shot if others with the same problem do not post.

You seemingly confirm that what I report happening in 5.3 is also happening in 6.0
I expected that.

(06-15-2020, 01:43 AM)Jostein Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 06:31 PM)zimbodel Wrote: In addition as mentioned in another thread. 5.3 refuses to export. it produces silent audio although the file size is correct.

That was interesting. I have also experienced exported silent audio files, but have forgotten to try to recreate the situation, using v.6. The last time this happened was last week when I exported multiple files in a mastering project by time span (ranges). 2 out of 8 songs were silent.
(06-15-2020, 02:04 AM)zimbodel Wrote: You seemingly confirm that what I report happening in 5.3 is also happening in 6.0

Whenever someone comes across this again - I'm more than happy to try recreating the situation with my different installations.
Ubuntu Studio 20.04, Linux Mint 19.3, Debian 10.3, Windows 7 and 10, MacOS Mojave (on a Hackintosh). More systems possible when I have my Zen host up and running.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Hello, Zimbodel -

Have you tried to start your session via a command window? If so, what startup
messages are output?

Also... I know of one time where a partner remote studio had similar issues. The
culprit was a session related file (sound file) that had a strange or meta-type character
in its name. It did not appear in the listing so I presume it was some sort of keyboard
cross-type issue when originally naming the file. The only reason I suspected it was
because some of the session files loaded and not others - the problem file was the
first of the non-loaders. I renamed the file and that fixed the problem. It was a
lucky guess in our case but I wonder if a command window startup might have
pointed to the problem - I did not try that at the time.

Cheers!
Patrick
Yes I always do a cli startup if I debug. Mixbus just fails quietly. No extra output or error messages in the terminal.