Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which MIDI keyboard controller?
I'm not a keyboard player (yet) but considering buying a keyboard controller to learn and use as a MB control. More interested for starters in piano style rather than synth so want a semi-weighted keyboard.
With lockdowns and supply chain shortages the only ones locally available atm are:
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2
Akai MPK261
Novation Impulse 61

I'm leaning towards the NI one but my search-fu has failed me with regard to Linux and Mixbus compatibility and ease-of-use.
Has anyone had experience with this one or the other two in Linux?
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(05-24-2020, 12:25 AM)sunrat Wrote: I'm not a keyboard player (yet) but considering buying a keyboard controller to learn and use as a MB control. More interested for starters in piano style rather than synth so want a semi-weighted keyboard.

If I, as a piano player, may say this: These "semi-weighted" are the worst. You can't play them really piano-style. They are basically synth keyboards with a stronger spring.
If you can, get one with hammer action, maybe even a real electronic piano with MIDI-output, this offers you practise options without firing up a computer.
If a hammer-action is out of reach for you, save the money for now and get a synth style keyboard and save up for hammer action.

That's just *my* opinion of course.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(05-24-2020, 12:25 AM)sunrat Wrote: With lockdowns and supply chain shortages the only ones locally available atm are:
Akai MPK261
Novation Impulse 61

I'm leaning towards the NI one but my search-fu has failed me with regard to Linux and Mixbus compatibility and ease-of-use.
Not having experience on any of them, but all class compliant midi keys work in linux. And if it works for linux, it will work in Mixbus. Sure it can be possible that you need to write midimap for mapping all special controls way you want, but it is doable.

To be sure for linux compatibility, what about going with laptop to music store?
Linux veteran and music novice
Follow inspiration, not trends!
I don't have a laptop. I know class-compliant devices should work in Linux so that's the lesser part of the question. Mainly interested in how easy it will be to map to Mixbus.The NI one is quite high end and seems more dedicated to interoperability with NI software. I wasn't able to find if it even supports Mackie Control Protocol.
Thanks to MMM's advice I will look for something more modest for starters.
Ardour 6 release was announced today and the release notes mention there is a midimap for Nektar Panorama included so I'm now considering Nektar Panorama T4.

Still open to other advice and recommendations if anyone can help.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

About a year ago I purchased an M-Audio Hammer 88 keyboard controller. It is a fully weighted 88 key MIDI controller. It's not a stand alone digital keyboard. I use it with a Roland Integra 7. It's a great combo. The price of the Hammer 88 is very affordable. It has no pads or knobs, it's a straight up "piano" style controller. Check it's features on the M-Audio website. I don't record MIDI, I record the analog output of the Integra 7. Of course it can be used with any DAW/VSTi setup. The action is superb on the Hammer 88, the current price in the US is $500 USD at Sweetwater.com. It also looks great. It is now the anchor in my keyboard setup, Roland S-50, Casio CZ-1000, and Farfisa Compact Deluxe (I just love the knee boast). Happy controller hunting!
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(05-24-2020, 11:14 AM)Theotherguy Wrote: About a year ago I purchased an M-Audio Hammer 88 keyboard controller.
That one looks interesting and was on my shortlist. No-one seems to have any stock in Australia though.

(05-24-2020, 07:34 PM)sunrat Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 11:14 AM)Theotherguy Wrote: About a year ago I purchased an M-Audio Hammer 88 keyboard controller.
That one looks interesting and was on my shortlist. No-one seems to have any stock in Australia though.

That's unfortunate. The next fully weighted controller with 88 keys is two to three times the money.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(05-24-2020, 09:45 AM)sunrat Wrote: Mainly interested in how easy it will be to map to Mixbus.
For any keyboard, midi learn works same way for all controllers.

For making own midi maps see https://manual.ardour.org/using-control-...ding-maps/
Linux veteran and music novice
Follow inspiration, not trends!
(05-24-2020, 12:25 AM)sunrat Wrote: I'm not a keyboard player (yet) but considering buying a keyboard controller to learn and use as a MB control. More interested for starters in piano style rather than synth so want a semi-weighted keyboard.
With lockdowns and supply chain shortages the only ones locally available atm are:
Akai MPK261
Novation Impulse 61

NI KK will be perfect if you have their instruments. Kontakt especially.
Akai is just great quality.
From Novation I'd suggest launchkey instead of impulse. Their keyboard will come handy if your daw is Ableton.
Arturia Keylab is also great option.
(05-28-2020, 10:14 AM)sawharmonics Wrote: NI KK will be perfect if you have their instruments. Kontakt especially.
Akai is just great quality.
From Novation I'd suggest launchkey instead of impulse. Their keyboard will come handy if your daw is Ableton.
Arturia Keylab is also great option.
Remember I'm asking for use in Linux, so neither Kontakt nor Ableton will be used. Maybe Bitwig Studio is on the cards once I get slightly proficient. I do like the KK's LED lights above the keys which I imagine could be helpful in learning chords and scales. It's also by far the most expensive. A friend has a 25 key Launchkey and is happy with it to control Ableton but is also not a keyboard player.
Currently the top contenders would be Nektar Panorama T4/T6 or the Akai. Both have midimaps available in Ardour so I assume for MB too.
I'm going to visit a friend today who has an as yet undisclosed USB keyboard which he will let me have for free so that may be worth trying before parting with bucks.