Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which MIDI keyboard controller?
I use Akai MPK261, with bitwig it's perfect integration. Just used transport (MMC) button with mixbus in a recording session it worked fine.
I see there is a midi mapping file in mixbus/share/midi_maps/AKAI_MPK61.map so it should be straightforward
Quality wise, it's excellent (faders, knobs, button etc), keyboard is nice too
Do you want to become a keyboard synth/VI instrument player or do you want to develop actual piano technique? If the former, you can spend very little money on a synth action controller for your virtual instruments. If you are at all interested in using the keyboard to learn piano technique, you will need to spend a lot more money on a keyboard with properly weighted key action. It is the single most expensive and complex physical component of the keyboard, and is very difficult to design well so that your technique translates over to a real piano (and vice versa).

Although not necessarily inevitable, if you skimp on the keyboard action, you will very likely develop bad habits that do not translate over to piano.

Proper key action also makes a keyboard much heavier and bulkier as it takes up more physical space and requires a lot more hardware. Synth keyboards will also be lighter, more mechanically simple and usually more compact.

So while you are spending more on action, you can use a keyboard with great action as a piano controller (e.g., for Pianoteq) as well as a VI controller. However I can't say the reverse: I would never prefer to use a synth-action (including "semi-weighted") keyboard to play piano. It's just awkward.
Thanks everyone for replies. I am interested more in piano-style playing for now although will also be dabbling with synth stuff. The main hammer style contenders are the M-Audio Hammer 88 which is unavailable, and the NI Komplete Kontrol 88.
For now my mate has given me his old Novation Nocturn 49 which works fine and has semi-weighted Fatar keyboard which feels OK to me for now. I'll muddle along with that for a little while until I'm more comfortable with the basics.
The NI Komplete Kontrol 88 does absolutely fascinate me even though I'd have to use it in Windows for its full functionality. Walk through and review here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXOE1h0r2f0
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(06-09-2020, 07:51 PM)sunrat Wrote: I am interested more in piano-style playing for now although will also be dabbling with synth stuff. The main hammer style contenders are the M-Audio Hammer 88 which is unavailable, and the NI Komplete Kontrol.

May be late, but I use an old Alesis QS8 synth. Many do not fancy the sound of this synth, but the keyboard is just great. It is a fully weighted 88 key MIDI controller as well. I've seen that many have bought this to use it as a MIDI controller because of the keyboard. Seems that the price are going up though, may be there are some demand.

S:-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Hey, Sunrat, Check out the new Roland Midi contoller. Maybe a little pricey but I am told that the keyboard is superb, I have not played one yet. It is also MIDI 2.0 ready.
https://www.roland.com/us/products/a-88mk2/
Maybe this will become available in Australia.
The specs. what video I have seen and a report from a keyboard friend in the LA area, this is a top notch instrument. Hope you find something that gives you that piano feel that you need.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Yes that Roland A-88MKII looks very nice. Curiously the only Alesis QS8 I saw on Ebay were in Japan or US so freight was going to make them very expensive, more than a new A-88 ! And both way more than a Hammer 88 if they were available.
Maybe one day...
Are there any smaller hammer action keyboards around? I didn't see any. 73 keys would fit in my place better or even 61.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(05-24-2020, 12:25 AM)sunrat Wrote: I'm not a keyboard player (yet) but considering buying a keyboard controller to learn and use as a MB control. More interested for starters in piano style rather than synth so want a semi-weighted keyboard.
With lockdowns and supply chain shortages the only ones locally available atm are:
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2
Akai MPK261
Novation Impulse 61

I'm leaning towards the NI one but my search-fu has failed me with regard to Linux and Mixbus compatibility and ease-of-use.
Has anyone had experience with this one or the other two in Linux?

I just got this Icon in.
Amazing Keys for this price, better than any others in this price range and good transport control. Very solid.

https://www.justmusic.de/Keys/MIDI-Maste...Keyboard-6
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM