Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio interface for linux
(05-20-2019, 12:19 AM)MixBee Wrote: Thank you for your answers. I actually need just 2 channel stereo but in best sound quality. Want to try linux alternatively to the apple domain. Do you have good experiences working with linux in sound affairs?

Not sure what you mean by "affairs". If they're "affair$" then count me out. Otherwise, I'm at it since about 3 years now and am still learning (and not "earning" Dodgy )

I have switched recently to Xubuntu 18.04 LTS. I have a 1010LT interface. I use Bitwig for creation and Mixbus32C for mixing/mastering. I also run a fair amount of plugins made for Windows using wine-4.5 (Staging) and linvst (from git, January 2019).

As for audio examples I can't really pinpoint one of the pieces I made that would be a best example. And I do several 'styles' although not on purpose. So if I choose one piece, it might not be a style that you like. So far I got 17,707 plays on soundcloud, with about 7,000 since the beginning of the year. It's instrumental music although there can be sampled/synth voices here and there. The page on soundcloud is:

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6

So far I find that good quality can be made although 1) mixing is an art by itself and having a good background + a lot of practice is essential and 2) many synth instruments and audio plugins that I use are made for Windows, so as such the setup certainly cannot be called 'Linux only'

Well, here's a recent piece nevertheless, for convenience. It's an atmospheric one, of sorts. All the pieces posted on soundcloud so far are certainly not perfect.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/hinterland

Cheers.
Is anyone here using behringer X18/XR18/etc?
Yes, i have the X-Air18. Appears as a 18in10out Audio Interface, plug and play. I am extremely happy with this piece, but i basically use it for small live gigs and not in my studio.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
Feels very resistant!
(05-20-2019, 12:45 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:19 AM)MixBee Wrote: Do you have good experiences working with linux in sound affairs?

I'm using Linux for studio audio since 2013. Never looked back. If I need something in Windows/Mac I connect a respective machine via Jack over Ethernet but that's very very rare.

MMM

What can you do with this type of setup, you mean using a plugin via Mac OS or windows through jack into the Linux machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-24-2019, 03:31 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:45 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:19 AM)MixBee Wrote: Do you have good experiences working with linux in sound affairs?

I'm using Linux for studio audio since 2013. Never looked back. If I need something in Windows/Mac I connect a respective machine via Jack over Ethernet but that's very very rare.

MMM

What can you do with this type of setup, you mean using a plugin via Mac OS or windows through jack into the Linux machine?

Exactly. I could, for example, start Ardour on the Windows machine in my rack, create some buses with VST plugins and route there via insert.
But the system is totally flexible: once, just for fun, I routed MIDI from my keyboard though Jack into Garageband on my Hacky, played an instrument there and sent the audio monitor back to Mixbus on my Linux machine... and I could have inserted a reverb VST on my Windows machine on the way had I wanted to Smile
Atm I'm using the Windows box only for RX7 and the Hacky gets updated monthly and is there just in case...

Cheers and merry Christmas,
MMM

(attachment is Linux into linux, can't find my Hackintosh screenshot quickly...)