Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio interface for linux
Lightbulb 
What audio interface do you recommend / use for Mixbus in linux?
(05-19-2019, 12:31 PM)MixBee Wrote: What audio interface do you recommend / use for Mixbus in linux?

There's a lot of different opinions on this topic, but I'm using a Zoom L12 in class compliant mode. No driver needed, works "out of the box" . It's a digital mixer and recorder as well(12 channel + master). When I record in mixbus I also record on the L12 for backup purposes. It have 5 independent monitor mixes that make it nice to use in the studio for recording sessions. If you need more channels it also have an bigger brother with 20 channels(L20).

I also used some other Zoom devices(H6, U-44) and some Behringer stuff for vinyl restoration.

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
This is a good start point to find what you need...
https://alsa-project.org/wiki/Matrix:Main

I can talk about Focusrite Scarlett, works out of the box too... No problems, decent quality audio...

Edit: forgot to mention, very good quality construction... Feels very resistent!
I happily used:
M Audio 1010LT
Presonus Firestudio
Presonus 1818 VSL
Allen & Heath Qu32
Edirol UA4FX
Novation AudioHub 2x4
Behringer Guitar Link

My absolute favourite is what I'm using at the moment:
MOTU Ultralite AVB
Not only is it a robust and good sounding class compliant USB Audio interface, it also provides it's built in DSP via built in web server over ethernet. That means we can use it under Linux and control it fully with everything which can run a web server. The AUX mixers are available in separate browser windows so your talents can have their personal monitor mixing on their phone or tablet.

HTH
MMM

P.S. A friend of mine is using the Audient ID22 - so that's working, too, and it's a fine interface.
I’ve got a focusrite Scarlett 6i6 v2 and it works great. I don’t have access to the built in mixer. But for basic I/O it works fine.

I also have a Metric Halo ULN-2 w/3D upgrade card. It works better in Linux than Windows. Admittedly it’s still in Beta under MacOS, and there hasn’t been any work done to support Linux or windows as of yet. But it is planned. Again I have to do any internal routing under macOS and then plug it into windows or Linux if I want to do anything but the basic routing.
Thank you for your answers. I actually need just 2 channel stereo but in best sound quality. Want to try linux alternatively to the apple domain. Do you have good experiences working with linux in sound affairs?
(05-20-2019, 12:19 AM)MixBee Wrote: Do you have good experiences working with linux in sound affairs?

I'm using Linux for studio audio since 2013. Never looked back. If I need something in Windows/Mac I connect a respective machine via Jack over Ethernet but that's very very rare.

MMM
(05-19-2019, 05:19 PM)condecarlos Wrote: This is a good start point to find what you need...
https://alsa-project.org/wiki/Matrix:Main

I can talk about Focusrite Scarlett, works out of the box too... No problems, decent quality audio...

Edit: forgot to mention, very good quality construction... Feels very resistent!

thank you for this hint. Again another brick in the blank linux terrain in my mind...
(05-20-2019, 06:41 AM)MixBee Wrote: thank you for this hint. Again another brick in the blank linux terrain in my mind...

Glad to be helpful... I'm an Arch-Linux user and I found the https://wiki.archlinux.org/ very informative and precise... Recommended 100% if you want to learn more about Linux, even if you use another distro...

Cheers,

Carlos

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk
(05-20-2019, 12:19 AM)MixBee Wrote: Thank you for your answers. I actually need just 2 channel stereo but in best sound quality.

If you want just two inputs, I'd highly recommend the Sound Devices USBPre 2, which has excellent preamps (very close to the highly praised preamps on the 788T) and is a sort of Swiss Army knife of audio interfaces with a good variety of inputs and outputs. Very high build quality and should last for decades (well, as long as you can still find a computer with USB input decades from now, of course!). It's class-compliant and works fine in Linux.

I've been really happy with mine, although I do have an eye on the upcoming Sonosax M2D2 (see https://www.sonosax.ch/product/sx-m2d2/) which will be pricey but Sonosax preamps are out of this world.