Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus 4 and Ubuntu 18.04
(10-01-2018, 04:50 PM)phfactor Wrote: 2. Even though I've set 44.1kHz in qjackctl, Mixbus says my sample rate is 48kHz.

Jack will for some audio interface use the sample rate set by the interface. I'm using different types and if I can set the sample rate on the interface, jack is forced to use that rate. Else, Jack use whatever I've set in the qjackctl.

S:-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
It should start ok if you want to re-install the CLASPA package.

For some reason when the app is starting up and it is scanning for LASPA packages something in that package is causing the app to terminate. once the config files are created it seems to be happy. I had that problem on startup. There is a thread on it here and on the Ardour forum.

with the ALSA rates and such I had a lot of issues with the kernel not finding the audio hardware on the machine. There were some packages that was causing some issues with the ALSA and PULSE Audio configuration. For me it ended up being quicker to re-install Ubuntu Studio after warm booting the machine the second time I installed it found the hardware ok. I also had problems with the blutooth driver hogging the CPU and ended up disabling the device. I had the same thing happen with 15.04 LTS.

I found it is working better using ALSA. Check to see if some other app isn't changing the driver requirements, that was happening with Ubuntu studio installing conflicting config files for different Jack control apps. Most annoying. I did a minimum Ubuntu studio install then selected only the apps I wanted and that has avoided the issue with loading conflicting packages
(09-30-2018, 10:45 AM)phfactor Wrote: I am a new forum member and relatively new to Mixbus. I'm in the process of shifting my studio from MacOS-based to Linux-based, and I'm trying out different distributions. I installed Manjuro and tested it, now I'm trying Ubuntu 18.04. The problem is that I can't get Mixbus started!

If you liked Manjaro, You should try Antergos. It is very stable, and easier to set up with the most important KXstudio programs, and it sets up easily with an RT Kernel if you need that kind of performance.

If you like Ubuntu, you might like Lubuntu better with the necessary parts of KXstudio. It can also run an RT Kernel. I haven't tried 18.04, but 17,10 seemed cleaner, without all the extra fluff that Ubuntu Studio loads into it. I generally do not like to have to look through more apps then I need to do the work I set out to do.

I have tried many Distro's, and posted any struggles I had with a few of them. I had a lot of video driver problems with the RT Kernels, and windows VSTI.
After much work, and some success, I found them to not live up to expectations in performance in Linux. I was disappointed not to be able to use SD2, or Sample Tank with little to no latency like I can Linux software, but amazingly enough they do work. Just not to well with E-drums, and timing.
Question 
same symptoms here: MixBus V4 Was working OK up to a month ago, then some Ubuntu update came in ( I think!) and now it crashes on startup. Uninstalled, tried installing V5, same issue. On the same machine Ardour5 still runs perfectly. Ardour 4 ran perfectly too, but was auto-upgraded to 5 when the Ubuntu 14(?)-to-18 upgrade happened a couple of days ago...

Uninstalled CLASPA - no joy! Like I say, Ardour is working fine, but either MB4 or MB5 crashes on startup.
Here's what I see in Terminal ( a couple of runs):

Code:
mc@DAW:/opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/bin$ ./mixbus5
Fontconfig error: failed reading config file
bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour5] to /this/cannot/exist
Mixbus5.0.255 (built using 5.0-255-gf4af2a7 and GCC version 5.2.1 20151028)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Mixbus to only 1048576 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/etc/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/mc/.config/mixbus5/config
ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: AuthenticAMD
ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor          
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/etc/default_ui_config
Color shuttle bg not found
Color play head not found
ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/share/themes/dark-mixbus.colors
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/etc/clearlooks.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/etc/clearlooks.rc
Mixbus license file license_key_harrison_mixbus5.txt was not found in either home folder or global path: /usr/local/share/license_key_harrison_mixbus5.txt
Mixbus license file license_key_harrison_mixbus5.txt was not found in either home folder or global path: /usr/local/share/license_key_harrison_mixbus5.txt
Found 2 along /home/mc/.config/mixbus5/templates:/opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/share/templates
run dialog
Cannot connect to server socket err = Connection refused
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JACK command line will be: /usr/bin/jackd -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 44100 -p 1024 -d hw:Set,0 -X raw
Cannot connect to server socket err = Connection refused
Cannot connect to server request channel
jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2017 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio2
creating alsa driver ... hw:Set,0|hw:Set,0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
JackTemporaryException : now quits...
Jack main caught signal 2
Released audio card Audio2
audio_reservation_finish
JACK command line will be: /usr/bin/jackd -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 44100 -p 1024 -d hw:Set,0 -X raw
jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2017 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio2
creating alsa driver ... hw:Set,0|hw:Set,0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
free(): invalid pointer
JackEngine::XRun: client = mixbus was not finished, state = Triggered
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
Aborted (core dumped)
mc@DAW:/opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/bin$ Unknown error...
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Jack::JackTemporaryException'
  what():  

==================

mc@DAW:/opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/bin$ ./mixbus5
Fontconfig error: failed reading config file
Mixbus5.0.255 (built using 5.0-255-gf4af2a7 and GCC version 5.2.1 20151028)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Mixbus to only 1048576 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/etc/system_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/mc/.config/mixbus5/config
ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: AuthenticAMD
ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor          
ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/etc/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/share/themes/dark-mixbus.colors
Found 2 along /home/mc/.config/mixbus5/templates:/opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/share/templates
run dialog
Aborted (core dumped)
mc@DAW:/opt/Mixbus-5.0.255/bin$ watched PID no longer exists - releasing device.

=======================

mc@DAW:~$ gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 7.3.0-16ubuntu3) 7.3.0
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

====================

mc@DAW:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release:    18.04
Codename:    bionic

is that GCC version an issue? The MB V5 installer only mentioned GCC5 ... and I used "For Linux 64bit (gcc5)" installer , assuming it was the latest/greatest... Should I have used the other one?
(10-09-2018, 04:00 PM)rockandroller Wrote:
Code:
[...]
jack server is not running or cannot be started
[...]
[…]
[…]
First start qjackctl/Cadence with the correct settings for your soundcard.
Or select ALSA at Mixbus start.
JACK – A Beginners Guide to Getting Started with JACK >> http://libremusicproduction.com/articles...arted-jack

(10-09-2018, 04:00 PM)rockandroller Wrote:
Code:
[...]
run dialog
[…]
(10-01-2018, 08:13 AM)khz Wrote: Another possibility would be to move the settings of Mixbus.
Code:
mv .config/mixbus4 .config/mixbus4-BAK
So Mixbus starts without any personal settings.
Or (Version):
Code:
mv .config/mixbus5 .config/mixbus5-BAK

Start Mixbus from the console without any personal settings.
(10-01-2018, 03:15 AM)khz Wrote:
Code:
Yours@LAW/DAW ~ $ Mixbus4
Copy the "text output" and post it here.
Or (Version):
Code:
Yours@LAW/DAW ~ $ Mixbus5
HI All
Been a long time!!
New install of latest Mixbus on a new hard drive new install of Ubuntu studio.
Cannot get it to start!!

I'm on MIxbus 5 latest
Here is my Jack output

3 10:50:18 2020: New client 'mixbus' with PID 2186
Fri Jan 3 10:50:18 2020: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = mixbus was not finished, state = Triggered
Fri Jan 3 10:50:18 2020: ERROR: JackAudioDriver:TonguerocessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
Fri Jan 3 10:50:18 2020: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = mixbus was not finished, state = Triggered
Fri Jan 3 10:50:18 2020: ERROR: JackAudioDriver:TonguerocessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
Fri Jan 3 10:50:18 2020: Client 'mixbus' with PID 2186 is out

Here is output from the terminal:

Mixbus: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Mixbus: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel® Xeon® CPU E5506 @ 2.13GHz
Mixbus: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
Mixbus: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Mixbus-5.3.4/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Mixbus: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.3.4/etc/default_ui_config
Mixbus: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/studio/.config/mixbus5/ui_config
Mixbus: [INFO]: Loading color file /opt/Mixbus-5.3.4/share/themes/dark-mixbus.colors
Mixbus: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.3.4/etc/clearlooks.rc
Mixbus: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /opt/Mixbus-5.3.4/etc/ardour.keys
Loading ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus-5.3.4/etc/clearlooks.rc
Aborted (core dumped)
studio@studiolinux:~$

I'm using a USB X air 18 as sound multitrack.

Sorry for the long post Undecided

Cheers Bob
I right now decided to install the latest 5.3.22 on Xubuntu 18.04 LTS. As root, I ran the installation and it installed fine. I loaded the current project and it plays fine.

If it helps, it went like this. Note that the version is 5.3.22 and NOT 5.3.4 as your log shows. There were some 'flash' releases after the first main release. Which is why I always wait a week or more before installing a new version. No rush.

% Mixbus32C5

Mixbus32C5.3.22 (built using 5.3-22-g497baeeef and GCC version 6.3.0 20170516)
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Mixbus32C to 1048576 open files
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Mixbus32C-5.3.22/etc/system_config
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/mevla/.config/mixbus5/config
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel® Core™ i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Mixbus32C-5.3.22/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus32C-5.3.22/etc/default_ui_config
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/mevla/.config/mixbus5/ui_config
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Loading color file /opt/Mixbus32C-5.3.22/share/themes/dark-mixbus32c.colors
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus32C-5.3.22/etc/clearlooks.rc
Mixbus32C: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /opt/Mixbus32C-5.3.22/etc/ardour.keys
Loading ui configuration file /opt/Mixbus32C-5.3.22/etc/clearlooks.rc
I use Mixbus on Linux no problems, I don’t use jack I use ALSA. I use elementary os 5.1 Mixbus 32c v5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk