Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus 4 and Ubuntu 18.04
I am a new forum member and relatively new to Mixbus. I'm in the process of shifting my studio from MacOS-based to Linux-based, and I'm trying out different distributions. I installed Manjuro and tested it, now I'm trying Ubuntu 18.04. The problem is that I can't get Mixbus started!

I have JACK running at 44.1K sample rate and 256 sample buffer. When I start Mixbus (version 4), I get the dialog for a new Session, which I enter, then I get the AUDIO/MIDI dialog. It knows that I have JACK running and says it will connect to JACK and use existing setting. I okay that, and. . . . nothing. It apparently crashes and there's no information whatsoever.

Are there outstanding issues with Mixbus 4 and Ubuntu 18.04?
MIxbus 7.1.97, Mixbus 32c 8.0.17
Roland Rubix 44 USB audio interface

Ubuntu Linux 21.10 5.13.0-40-lowlatency
Do you have CSLADSPA installed? If yes, uninstall it and try again.[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Mixbus32c 4.0.703 on Kubuntu Linux 64 17.04 with KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz - 12 Gb RAM

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Try running it with alsa instead of jack (make sure jack is killed first). This will at least establish whether it is a problem with Jack or not.

I am using Debian (on which Ubuntu is based) My machine is older, so Mixbus disappears from screen for a few worrying seconds before loading a session, just wondered if you needed to wait a little while? Sorry if that is obvious/ useless.
(09-30-2018, 10:45 AM)phfactor Wrote: .

nothing. It apparently crashes and there's no information whatsoever.

Are there outstanding issues with Mixbus 4 and Ubuntu 18.04?

I've used Mixbus4 on 18.04 (Kubuntu) without problems. I think it's time for some error hunting, so I recommend you to open a terminal window and type:

Mixbus4

Run Mixbus until it crashes again. Look at the generated text in the terminal, it is a good chance that the Mixbus' text output will give you information about the problem.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
If there are problems, start the appropriate $program from the console.
Read error messages.
Code:
Yours@LAW/DAW ~ $ program_name
EDIT: Oh, that's what Jostein just posted.
Sthauge, English Guy, Jostein, & khz,

Thanks for all the input. I started going thru your suggestions one at a time. And the very first one worked. That is, I removed "csladspa." Apt informed me that there were several csound files that I could then remove, so I did. And Mixbus came up, (and English Guy, I AM impatient, so I did go and putter around in the kitchen for a bit while waiting for Mixbus to start, and it still didn't.)

I had tried switching to ALSA from JACK with no joy.

I appreciate the troubleshooting advice. I haven't gotten everything working, yet, so it may yet come in handy.

So, is this a known issue? Why did that work?

Thanks again,
-Paul

Please start Mixbus4 from the console.
Code:
Yours@LAW/DAW ~ $ Mixbus4
Copy the "text output" and post it here.

You have the limits.conf?
limits.conf > Must have! >> https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_...faudioconf

Meta: GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info >> https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9845
To start Mixbus from a terminal window is a good idea, so you got some error messages if there are any.

If it's an old session and you get to the dialog where you select the session to load, you can hold down the ctrl key while starting the session. It will prevent Mixbus from loading the plugins, only stubs instead. If the crash is caused by a failing plugin you will be good to go to investigate.

S

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Another possibility would be to move the settings of Mixbus.
Code:
mv .config/mixbus4 .config/mixbus4-BAK
So Mixbus starts without any personal settings.

If you want the old settings back, rename them again.
Code:
mv .config/mixbus4-BAK .config/mixbus4
(10-01-2018, 03:15 AM)khz Wrote: Please start Mixbus4 from the console.
Code:
Yours@LAW/DAW ~ $ Mixbus4
Copy the "text output" and post it here.

You have the limits.conf?
limits.conf > Must have! >> https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_...faudioconf

Meta: GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info >> https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9845

I guess I wasn't clear in my reply, but Mixbus IS working. Sthauge suggested removing csladspa. That's what worked, though I don't know why.

Mixbus starts up and I can record. What I meant before when I said I don't have everything working yet is related to ALSA/JACK issues:
1. ALSA not liking it when I try to start jack at fewer than 256 samples. JACK refuses to start, but WILL start up when I go to 256 samples.
2. Even though I've set 44.1kHz in qjackctl, Mixbus says my sample rate is 48kHz.

BTW, khz, I had NOT configured limits.conf, thank you, so I did that (although I'm confused, because I've read that systemd does NOT look at limits.conf ???)

So the research continues!
Thanks again.
-Paul