Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lua script requests
@Zimbolt: why don't you make a new thread and paste your current script. Then we can help you tweak & improve it.
(05-06-2017, 04:59 PM)Zimbolt Wrote: Kind of super specific, but I'd like to be able to disable/enable all plugins globally (including mixbus channels) with a part in the script that allows us to not affect something— let's say an amplifier plugin. I've already edited the disable plugins script and made another one to enable plugins, but it doesn't disable anything on mixbus channels with everything selected and it disables the amplifier plugins that have been set thru the "Faders to Trims" script. Basically it'd be lovely to have a quick "before and after" type script.

This wouldn't be very hard to do, a few *if* statements of plugin names ought to do the trick for stopping it being disabled.

Additionally, I know for sure that if the script is searching through a selection of routes, you can highlight the Mixbuses as well and it should disable any plugins on it. I ran into this issue with my cleanup template because ctrl-t only selects all tracks and the master.
Welcome to Zombocom
quick heads up: When iterating over all Session:get_routes() -- a "route" is everything that can route audio: tracks, busses, mixbusses, master-bus, etc -- one usually has to special-case the monitor and auditioner because they have internal plugins which should be left alone.

An example to iterate over all tracks and all plugins: https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/blob/ma...ua#L13-L16
(05-07-2017, 07:59 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Zimbolt: why don't you make a new thread and paste your current script. Then we can help you tweak & improve it.
hahaha, my current script was copying the bypass all and switching "deactivate" to "activate"

(05-08-2017, 08:40 AM)Nikolaus Gullotta Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 04:59 PM)Zimbolt Wrote: Kind of super specific, but I'd like to be able to disable/enable all plugins globally (including mixbus channels) with a part in the script that allows us to not affect something— let's say an amplifier plugin. I've already edited the disable plugins script and made another one to enable plugins, but it doesn't disable anything on mixbus channels with everything selected and it disables the amplifier plugins that have been set thru the "Faders to Trims" script. Basically it'd be lovely to have a quick "before and after" type script.

This wouldn't be very hard to do, a few *if* statements of plugin names ought to do the trick for stopping it being disabled.

Additionally, I know for sure that if the script is searching through a selection of routes, you can highlight the Mixbuses as well and it should disable any plugins on it. I ran into this issue with my cleanup template because ctrl-t only selects all tracks and the master.
I see, is there a hotkey to select everything with mixbuses included? If so, I'd just need to modify the script to not disable the amplifier plugin.

(05-08-2017, 08:52 AM)x42 Wrote: quick heads up: When iterating over all Session:get_routes() -- a "route" is everything that can route audio: tracks, busses, mixbusses, master-bus, etc -- one usually has to special-case the monitor and auditioner because they have internal plugins which should be left alone.

An example to iterate over all tracks and all plugins: https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/blob/ma...ua#L13-L16

This seems like exactly what I needed in regards to selecting everything, thank you!
(05-06-2017, 04:59 PM)Zimbolt Wrote: I see, is there a hotkey to select everything with mixbuses included? If so, I'd just need to modify the script to not disable the amplifier plugin.
Unfortunately there is no hotkey to select every track including mixbusses, but like x42 said, Session:get_routes() will include anything that can have audio routed through it. Which is great when making your own personal scripts, because you're more likely to want to hit every single route in the session.

But, if you pass it off to other people for use you may want to put some thought into how a selection works, and a selection without mixbusses in it.
Welcome to Zombocom
I have a script request for a feature i missed recently, when i ran out of processing power using a lot of CPU hungry plugins (vst and vsti) while recording.
A "freeze tracks" script, that adds a new audio track below every existing track, names it like the original, but with a * in front (freeze "snowflake"), and renders the original track into a floating point wav (lossless) and loads it into the freeze track. (If a freeze track already exists (with the * as first char in the name), the content should be deleted and a new render should take place, so there is not multiple freeze tracks from same original...)
Then disables the original tracks to save processing power.
(Whenever a track needs to be changed, it can be activated again while disabling the rendered freeze track...)
Could be very useful for recording sessions, especially for bigger projects with samplers and high quality effect plugins, since doing so manually is pretty time-consuming and repetitive.
(Or am i just blind and a similar feature that i am not aware of already exists in Mixbus?)
I have totally zero experience in Lua, but is this possible to automate like this?
(05-26-2017, 05:43 AM)smallbutfine Wrote: I have a script request for a feature i missed recently, when i ran out of processing power using a lot of CPU hungry plugins (vst and vsti) while recording.
A "freeze tracks" script, that adds a new audio track below every existing track, names it like the original, but with a * in front (freeze "snowflake"), and renders the original track into a floating point wav (lossless) and loads it into the freeze track. (If a freeze track already exists (with the * as first char in the name), the content should be deleted and a new render should take place, so there is not multiple freeze tracks from same original...)
Then disables the original tracks to save processing power.
(Whenever a track needs to be changed, it can be activated again while disabling the rendered freeze track...)
Could be very useful for recording sessions, especially for bigger projects with samplers and high quality effect plugins, since doing so manually is pretty time-consuming and repetitive.
(Or am i just blind and a similar feature that i am not aware of already exists in Mixbus?)
I have totally zero experience in Lua, but is this possible to automate like this?

Apologies for the delay in responding, had the holiday weekend off and all that.

In regards to your question I think this is definitely possible for a Lua script but is extremely niche. Theoretically you could get your selected track names, store them somewhere, bounce the audio in place (as per this script) and then add new tracks with an appended 'frozen' tag and modify the earlier script to add the new bounced regions to those tracks.

Personally this seems like more trouble than it's worth, and I'd rather just stem bounce my selected tracks and re import them, but I could see this coming in handy. I'll add it to my ideas file Smile

Incidentally, there is a freeze feature in mixbus, it's just hidden (unaccessably hidden) because of multiple issues stacking with compressors and strip effects. It's enabled in Ardour because they don't have the same issues, but maybe I could try to get Ben to take a look at re-enabling it as it is a nice feature to have, even with the issues in it.

All that to say, in lieu of an official script or feature you could try to modify the script I linked above, as I will be unable to get to it for a while, or you could try to stem bounce selected tracks and then re-import them.
Welcome to Zombocom
Thank you very much, Nikolaus,
i really appreciate your in-depth answer.
I will take a look into the bounce and replace region script and see, how this works and if i can extend it to something like i had in mind....
A script to show/ hide all mixbusses would be cool. If there isn't already a feature for it.
A script that hide/show all of the open plugin windows that would be nice.