Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EUCON setup for Mixbus + Mixbus32C
Here are the steps to connect an Avid Artist  ( i.e. Euphonix MC } device to Harrison Mixbus using the Mackie MCU protocol.  We tested both the Artist Mix and the Artist Control.  These directions are for MAC;  we have not yet recreated the setup on Windows.

First, install the EuCon control application:
[Image: 01-install-eucon.png]

Second, make sure the EuCon firmware is updated to the latest version:
[Image: 02-update-firmware.png]

You'll then find the EuCon preferences icon in your Mac prefs:
[Image: 03-system_prefs.png]

Launch the EuCon preferences, and drag Mixbus into the list:
[Image: 04-drag-mixbus32c.png]

After dragging Mixbus, you'll need to reboot your mac, and then wait for the Eucon symbol to appear in the top corner before proceeding.  This indicates that EuControl has recognized your Artist device:
[Image: 05-wait-for-eucontrol.png]

Finally, launch Mixbus and follow the normal steps for connecting a Mackie device.  Choose the Euphonix MIDI ports to feed the device:
[Image: 06-setup-mackie.png]

...you should now have control over the basic transport, fader, pan, mute and solo for the Mixbus mixer.  The Artist devices do not emulate a Mackie MCU layout very closely, so some of the advanced features of an MCU are not supported.

In our testing, we found that we had to be fairly meticulous and slow with the setup;  you must allow plenty of time for the Eucontrol app to launch and find the connected device.  But once everything was set up the first time,  it was reliable for future launches.

Because of the limited MCU support, I would not endorse the Artist devices as our top choice for controlling Mixbus.  But if you already  have one, and/or you are interested in the Eucon features ( such as controlling multiple workstations, and switching between them )  then the Artist devices are quite usable in Mixbus.
Thanks Ben and everyone at Harrison.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Ja, thanks Ben for the info and review. The Artist Mix was one of the controllers I was looking at, but will think twice as its integration does not seem that deep. And I definitely want direct control over the eq and compressors like you have set up for the X-Touch.
I followed those steps but I am not seeing the ports of my Artist control.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

MP 6,1| I/O - UAD Apollo and Twin | Monitors - APS Aeon2, Coax, Klasik, SUB 15 and SUB 10, minidsp/Dirac | Pres - UA 4-710d, Imbir, Sebatron, ASP800.
DAWs - DP 9.5, PT 11, MixBus 4.2.
VIs - Native, AAS, EastWest, Spectrasonics, etc.
Plug-ins - all UAD and Slate Digital, Izotope, etc.
Wish I could get this to work with my Avid S3. I could see myself using Mixbus 32c a lot but can't do without my S3.
(09-15-2017, 01:57 PM)Kris Wrote: I followed those steps but I am not seeing the ports of my Artist control.

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but did you ever get this working? I'm stuck where you were, with Mixbus not seeing the Artist's Ports.

I have the Artist Mix(s), Artist Control, Artist Transport, and Avid Control!
Looking at getting the S1, and Dock.

If EuControl WAS once working, did it flat out stop, or do I need to do something (say in Audio MIDI Setup) to get Mixbus to SEE the devices???

I am moving to Mixbus and loving it. Now it's time to get my hands on faders, knobs, buttons, jog shuttle, and hopefully touchscreens.

I also have an Icon Platform M, M-Audio Project Mix I/O, Faderport Classics (which work beautifully for a small system). Would love to get something working well before I fly through a couple of mixes.

As an aside, it's midnight on December 25th, so Merry Christmas to anyone reading this!
I know this thread is a couple of years old, but did you ever get this working? I'm stuck where you were, with Mixbus not seeing the Artist's Ports.

I have the Artist Mix(s), Artist Control, Artist Transport, and Avid Control!
Looking at getting the S1, and Dock.

If EuControl WAS once working, did it flat out stop, or do I need to do something (say in Audio MIDI Setup) to get Mixbus to SEE the devices???

---
Has or is anything being done to resolve issues with MixBus and EUCON playing together nicely under Windose 10???

I see "Mixbus" in the EuControl Setup and "Artist Mix" in the MixBus preferences but PULLDOWN shows "Disconnected" with NO "Euphonix MIDI" ports listed.

I know this is an old issue but jeez Harrison, this should have been dealt with already... just sayin.

HP ProDesk 600 G5 (2019); Win 10 Pro-64.
HP Pavillion L15 4-Core (2018); Win 10 Pro-64
(01-06-2020, 05:20 PM)plus9db Wrote: I see "Mixbus" in the EuControl Setup and "Artist Mix" in the MixBus preferences but PULLDOWN shows "Disconnected" with NO "Euphonix MIDI" ports listed.

OK, just to be clear...

That you have downloaded the latest version of EUCON software ?

In the EUCON Control Panel, you have added the current MB version you are using, (eg: Mixbus32c-5) and that it is set to Mackie Control via MIDI ports 1-4 ?

If the above two are correct, in Mixbus Preferences / Control Surfaces / Mackie / Artist Mix can you get to the pulldown menu, or is disconnected still the only state ?

On my system I see Euphonix Ports 1-4 but I also see my other MIDI devices. You should be able to click on 'disconnected' and select from your MIDI device list.

Have a look at the EUCON guide... the Abelton LIVE setup is very similar in terms of EUCON side.

I am running an Artist Mix using LIVE and MB, but on macOS.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I have Avid Dock and Avid Control working on Windows 10 running the latest version. Avid Control/Dock does work with Mixbus except I have no VU meters. This is NOT a Mixbus problem as I get the same results with other DAWs as well. Avid is aware of the issue but as of yet there is no fix for this problem. As was mentioned before make sure your controllers are seen by the Eucon app first in the surfaces tab. They must be assigned in "My Surfaces". In Windows control panel make sure the Eucon Mackie control app has Mixbus assigned to midi ports. The docs cover all this in good detail. Make sure the controller/s are on and seen by the Eucon app before you launch Mixbus. I've made this mistake all too many times before. Mixbus seems to look for midi ports right away. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Greg
Just a quick update. I wouldn't bother to try and make Avid Dock or Avid control work with Mixbus. Mackie integration is terrible with those devices. Artist Mix may be a different story.
Best regards,
Greg