Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ardour Forums
(06-15-2018, 10:07 AM)Tassy Wrote: Sure here in Hungary we have been behind the west by 100 years, but having only MB4 when the globe's other side already use MB 6.7 is more than we can bearSmile
I seem to be even more back in time, maybe before the "big bang" (introduction of V3), still trusting MB2.5 I loveSmile
Tassy

Nothing wrong with that... I still use mc for tidying up - because when I started with computers the Norton Commander was the most sophisticated "GUI" - and it was fast, logical and efficient. Midnight Commander (mc) is an exact copy on Linux and i use it all the time.

MMM

(06-15-2018, 08:40 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Big Grin yay surround! Big Grin In Mixbus 6.7!
MMM

Oh btw the "panner" in Ardour is useless for 5.1 panning.
MMM
(06-15-2018, 10:56 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Nothing wrong with that... I still use mc for tidying up - because when I started with computers the Norton Commander was the most sophisticated "GUI" - and it was fast, logical and efficient. Midnight Commander (mc) is an exact copy on Linux and i use it all the time.

Haha, I love mc! It is one of the first things I install on a new Linux system.

(06-15-2018, 08:40 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Big Grin yay surround! Big Grin In Mixbus 6.7!

I remember Ben mentioning some time ago there could possibly be a surround version of MB in the future. It might even be in Mixbus 6.7 lol.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(06-15-2018, 10:56 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Nothing wrong with that... I still use mc for tidying up - ...

I use emacs for that.
(06-15-2018, 08:40 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
Quote:I cannot find the 5.1 panner

Big Grin yay surround! Big Grin In Mixbus 6.7!
MMM

I'm curious about something... throughout the nineties and noughties I worked as a dubbing mixer in the UK TV industry. Back then, LRCS and 5.1 were the norm when it came to mixing sound for TV (certainly for drama). It was routine for programmes to carry the Dolby Surround logo at the end.

These days however, it's very rare to see that logo at the end of a TV programme (even a drama). In the UK at least, dwindling budgets have pretty much put paid to the use of Surround which (I think) is mostly reserved for the movie industry now. What's the situation in other countries? (I'm just wondering why MB users are asking for Surround...)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(06-16-2018, 03:11 AM)johne53 Wrote: (I'm just wondering why MB users are asking for Surround...)

Just for my own (and guests) little pleasure in the studio, doing some sound design and atmospheric electronics stuff. But you never know... I might even join a film project someday or create a track for a planetarium... It's just exciting.

MMM
(06-15-2018, 10:56 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 10:07 AM)Tassy Wrote: Sure here in Hungary we have been behind the west by 100 years, but having only MB4 when the globe's other side already use MB 6.7 is more than we can bearSmile
I seem to be even more back in time, maybe before the "big bang" (introduction of V3), still trusting MB2.5 I loveSmile
Tassy

Tassy , i understand your native tongue is Hungarian: so can i correct your wording, You used behind , instead of ahead. Sure here in Hungary we have been ahead the west by 100 years

I have a Hungarian friend : and she is ahead of time for sure.

Nothing wrong with that... I still use mc for tidying up - because when I started with computers the Norton Commander was the most sophisticated "GUI" - and it was fast, logical and efficient. Midnight Commander (mc) is an exact copy on Linux and i use it all the time.

MMM

I came from the other way around. Unix was my first real OS System 6, 7. The university of Waterloo had a nice Unix toolkit for dos. So people knew if i had been on a machine, they saw my incomprehensible, tools like ls, vi, when i asked for a directory listing (ls) , i did not get the time of day and the disksize, and lots of other crap. output of ls i could use straight in a shell script and worked !!

PCtools was the alternative, Central Point Software was a sister company of mine. Mike Brown , the main developer and CEO. We were in the new ideaś team together.

MMM

Oh btw the "panner" in Ardour is useless for 5.1 panning.
MMM

The panner will be cure in Ardour 6.0, 5.1 was a pre release.
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(06-16-2018, 03:11 AM)johne53 Wrote:

MMM

I'm curious about something... throughout the nineties and noughties I worked as a dubbing mixer in the UK TV industry. Back then, LRCS and 5.1 were the norm when it came to mixing sound for TV (certainly for drama). It was routine for programmes to carry the Dolby Surround logo at the end.

These days however, it's very rare to see that logo at the end of a TV programme (even a drama). In the UK at least, dwindling budgets have pretty much put paid to the use of Surround which (I think) is mostly reserved for the movie industry now. What's the situation in other countries? (I'm just wondering why MB users are asking for Surround...)
The Dolby logo has disappeared because Digital Cinema does not require Dolby encoding, it is all discrete.
A lot of Broadcast is still being produced in 5.1, it's just not that obvious on free to air broadcast.
50% of my work is 5.1 for DCP (Digital Cinema Package) and / or Broadcast. The other 50% is Stereo. The major decider is that one off Documentary and Drama are normally 5.1 with down mixes and Series or Reality are mostly Stereo.
Streaming has also pushed the demand for 5.1.
That's the situation in Australia, it may differ in other territories.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(06-16-2018, 03:11 AM)johne53 Wrote:

MMM

I am in the Netherlands. We do not have transmissions anymore for a long time. All is done digital, by cable.

The Cable tuner i have shows when it is the transmission id Dolby Digital with a logo.

I have a Denon Atmos 9.2 receiver. It shows the signal type. Stereo is rare. Mostly is DD.
But i am not a TV watcher. I try to grab some news ( BBC world,Al Jazeera, Dutch news, Euronews) I will try to catch some BBC ( i have 1, 2 and entertainment) to see if i can receive their DD: Update BBC transmits in DD .

There are two dutch live programs, with music. Most is mono panned. close miked stuff. No image.

I have no Atmos material Sad When i had the accident i thought, i will catch up. But i could not walk downstairs.

My mixdown room has 5 and 7.1. But my main source is Mixbus Sad

I have several DTS , 5.1 tracks, which are lovely in a way. But mostly what i call ping pong tracks. Horns at the side only, Vocal mid mono. almost never an image where , if you close your eyes you see the musicians.

Just recently i bumped on a label pure audio or so, which has surround tracks, and a company which makes a panner which looks like ( shhhht) the panning option of the MPC5 demo. Just looked at a demo, i think i will have to dedicate a machine for that.

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(06-16-2018, 03:52 AM)Dingo Wrote: The Dolby logo has disappeared because Digital Cinema does not require Dolby encoding, it is all discrete.
A lot of Broadcast is still being produced in 5.1, it's just not that obvious on free to air broadcast.
50% of my work is 5.1 for DCP (Digital Cinema Package) and / or Broadcast. The other 50% is Stereo. The major decider is that one off Documentary and Drama are normally 5.1 with down mixes and Series or Reality are mostly Stereo.
Streaming has also pushed the demand for 5.1.
That's the situation in Australia, it may differ in other territories.

I work in broadcast television in the US. In "the house", most all audio is discrete via SDI. However, once it hits the on-air encoders it is converted to dolby digital per FCC ATSC requirements. This can legally be 5.1, 2,0 or 1.0, but it's all DD coming out of the encoders feeding transmitters. Our feed from the CBS network is Dolby-E, decoded to 6 channels over SDI. Our FOX Network either comes down discrete or gets decoded in their "secret" FOX rack splicer but we end up with discrete 6. CW Network comes down the pipe with DD51 already encoded (in addition to a stereo feed), which we immediately decode to 6 channel discrete before it hits the SDI A/V router.

Just for completeness, a broadcast map is as follows:
Ch1 - Left
Ch2 - Right
Ch3 - Center
Ch4 - Sub
Ch5 - Left Surround
Ch6 - Right Surround

Additional channels (up to 16) are used for stereo, spanish, descriptive audio, etc, but we discard those.

Most modern programming in America is DD5.1. Not all stations broadcast 5.1 channels however. Many down convert everything to stereo, including our biggest competitor across town, which to me is odd.

When ATSC 3.0 comes out, it will allow more audio codecs, such as AAC. H.265 video encoding with 4k broadcasting will be included. Get ready to buy a new TV soon Americans. Wink
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Thanks for the insight Lexridge
Truly appreciated..

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra